JTAG/Debugging

pepe

Hello all,

is there any python package which potentially can support JTAG (BDM or
others) debugging interface for embedded system development?
Is there any other packages supporting debugging, monitoring, data
logging, flash programming of embedded systems?
I am not looking for python implementation within embedded system. I
am looking for any python support (package) for development of
embedded systems via PC.
Thank you!

Best regards,
pepe

Dietmar Schwertberger

pepe said:
is there any python package which potentially can support JTAG (BDM or
others) debugging interface for embedded system development?
Is there any other packages supporting debugging, monitoring, data
logging, flash programming of embedded systems?

Don't know about JTAG, but I've successfully used a TBDML interface from
Python to control S12 microcontrollers via BDM.
Basically, any BDM or JTAG interface should have a DLL as driver which
you can import using ctypes.

Dietmar Schwertberger

Dietmar said:
Don't know about JTAG, but I've successfully used a TBDML interface from
Python to control S12 microcontrollers via BDM.
Basically, any BDM or JTAG interface should have a DLL as driver which
you can import using ctypes.
Sorry, hit the wrong button...

Low level usage via ctypes looked like this:

import ctypes
tbdml = ctypes.windll.LoadLibrary("tbdml.dll")

# connect
tbdml.tbdml_init() # returns number of devices
tbdml.tbdml_open(0)
tbdml.tbdml_target_sync() # returns 0 on success

# play with micro ports
tbdml.tbdml_write_byte(0x0,2) # set port
tbdml.tbdml_read_byte(0x0) # read back

With a small wrapper around, usage looked like this:

import TBDML
t = TBDML.TBDML(device_no=0);t.target_sync();t.target_reset(0)
t[0x00] = 2
print t[0x00]

If that's what you need, contact me.

Regards,

Dietmar

Grant Edwards

is there any python package which potentially can support JTAG
(BDM or others) debugging interface for embedded system
development?
Yes.

Is there any other packages supporting debugging, monitoring,
data logging, flash programming of embedded systems?
Yes.

I am not looking for python implementation within embedded
system. I am looking for any python support (package) for
development of embedded systems via PC.

http://www.google.com/search?q=python+jtag
http://www.google.com/search?q=python+jtag+msp430

pepe

I looked at this - I did some google search and it seems to me a dead
project (PyET)?
I thought that some of you is aware of embedded system development
with help of python.

It would be nice to have not just JTAG, BDM support and even data
logging, recording, display and post processing - similar to features
of http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=FREEMASTER.
Unfortunately it is proprietary tool.

Regards,
Pepe

[...]