JTextArea becomes non-editable in a JApplet

Discussion in 'Java' started by Thomas Richter, Jun 6, 2011.

  1. Hi folks,

    apparently, the Oracle Java-VM seems to have a bug in its JApplet or
    JTextArea implementation, at least in the Linux implementation for the
    firefox plugin.

    The problem is that, under circumstances described below, JTextArea
    components in an JApplet become un-editable, and even clicking into them
    does not regain focus. This renders such input components rather useless
    and causes a lot of confusion at the user.

    The problem appears (at least) when a JApplet opens a ProgressMonitor;
    at this time, the JTextArea (rightfully) looses the focus. When the
    progress monitor is, however, closed afterwards, the JTextArea does not
    get the input focus again. In fact, even clicking into it, or any other
    JTextArea on the same JApplet does not improve anything. While the
    buttons in the JApplet just work normally, the text input components do
    not react at all.

    To get the focus again, the user has first to click onto any other
    window on the screen, or into the URL field of the browser, and *then*
    click again into the JTextArea - this returns focus to it.

    I tried a couple of work-arounds to regain the focus, including removing
    the component and re-creating it, actively requesting the focus and
    others; nothing helped. The best I could get was a cursor drawn in the
    field, but the cursor did not react on keyboard input.

    Appears in java 1.6.0_24, AMD64 architecture, firefox plug-in.

    Is this a known problem? Are there any known workarounds?

    Thanks,
    Thomas

    Thomas Richter, Jun 6, 2011

  2. Thomas Richter

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:45:18 +0200, Thomas Richter
    <-berlin.de> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
    who said :

    >Is this a known problem? Are there any known workarounds?

    I have seen similar thing with AWT and Swing with copy/paste sometimes
    working and sometimes not on Windows

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com