JTextArea becomes non-editable in a JApplet

Thomas Richter

Hi folks,

apparently, the Oracle Java-VM seems to have a bug in its JApplet or
JTextArea implementation, at least in the Linux implementation for the
firefox plugin.

The problem is that, under circumstances described below, JTextArea
components in an JApplet become un-editable, and even clicking into them
does not regain focus. This renders such input components rather useless
and causes a lot of confusion at the user.

The problem appears (at least) when a JApplet opens a ProgressMonitor;
at this time, the JTextArea (rightfully) looses the focus. When the
progress monitor is, however, closed afterwards, the JTextArea does not
get the input focus again. In fact, even clicking into it, or any other
JTextArea on the same JApplet does not improve anything. While the
buttons in the JApplet just work normally, the text input components do
not react at all.

To get the focus again, the user has first to click onto any other
window on the screen, or into the URL field of the browser, and *then*
click again into the JTextArea - this returns focus to it.

I tried a couple of work-arounds to regain the focus, including removing
the component and re-creating it, actively requesting the focus and
others; nothing helped. The best I could get was a cursor drawn in the
field, but the cursor did not react on keyboard input.

Appears in java 1.6.0_24, AMD64 architecture, firefox plug-in.

Is this a known problem? Are there any known workarounds?

Thanks,
Thomas

Roedy Green

Is this a known problem? Are there any known workarounds?

I have seen similar thing with AWT and Swing with copy/paste sometimes
working and sometimes not on Windows

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com