JTextField Unicode Mysql

Discussion in 'Java' started by Badshah, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Badshah

    Badshah Guest

    Hello Friends, How are you ? I am Sohil. I am here with a problem

    I am creating a text editor that will store data in mySql database. I
    want to get the data in text field. I am having "♥" character in
    database.

    Select * from bank_master;
    +---------+-----------+
    | Bank_Id | Bank_Name |
    +---------+-----------+
    | 3 | ♥ |
    +---------+-----------+

    I am not able to display this character in textbox. The text box is
    showing a rectangle  instead of that character.

    textfield.setText(rs.getString("Bank_Name"));

    But, when I am retriving the character from text box and display it on
    the command prompt console it shows right character ie. "♥"

    System.out.println(textfield.getText());

    I am not able to get the problem here.

    Sohil Surti
    Badshah, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    On Jan 27, 3:45 pm, "Badshah" <> wrote:
    > Hello Friends, How are you ?

    Inundated with multi-posters coming out of
    Google Groups, is how I am (i.e. annoyed).

    In future, please x-post, rather than multi-post.

    (X-post to c.l.j.p./g./h., w/ f-u to c.l.j.h. only)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Badshah

    Badshah Guest

    Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    Hello Friend, I am sorry . But please explain in detail what you mean
    to say ? I am not able to understand. What is x-post & multi-postl.
    Please reply.

    Badshah, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    On Jan 27, 5:28 pm, "Badshah" <> wrote:
    > Hello Friend, I am sorry .

    Don't be sorry. Instead, put some research into
    the best ways to get help.

    >...But please explain in detail what you mean
    > to say ? I am not able to understand. What is x-post & multi-postl.

    Please research in detail..
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=multi-post+usenet>

    > Please reply.

    ...and while you are at that research, also check out..
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=top-post+usenet>
    (and refrain from doing that in future, as well).

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    Badshah wrote:
    > Hello Friend, I am sorry .

    Hello Badash, you might like to find out about top-posting too ...

    In newsgroups like this, it is accepted practice to put your reply BELOW
    the quoted text that you are replying too. Interleave replies so that
    the conversation can be read from top to bottom.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting>

    > But please explain in detail what you mean
    > to say ? I am not able to understand. What is x-post & multi-postl.
    > Please reply.

    multi-posting is when you separately post several copies message to more
    than one newsgroup. People waste time answering your question because
    they don't know that someone in another newsgroup has already answered
    it. Other people with the same problem may not see an answer in another
    newsgroup they dont subscribe to. People who subscribe to several
    newsgroups get tired of reading the same message many times in different
    newsgroups. In short, multi-posting annoys many of the people you want
    to help you.

    cross-posting is when you post a single message to several newsgroups.
    <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html>

    In general, it is best to post to one newsgroup.

    > On Jan 27, 10:31 am, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    >> On Jan 27, 3:45 pm, "Badshah" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello Friends, How are you ?Inundated with multi-posters coming out of

    >> Google Groups, is how I am (i.e. annoyed).
    >>
    >> In future, please x-post, rather than multi-post.

    As for your original question, you need to make sure you are using a
    font which includes a glyph for the character you want to display. How
    you do this depends on whether you are using Swing, JSP or something
    else (you didn't say). My random guess is that you need to specify a
    suitable web-safe font in your CSS stylesheet.
    RedGrittyBrick, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Badshah

    Badshah Guest

    Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    Thanx for the reply RedGrittyBrick.Ok i will check for the font.

    Badshah, Jan 28, 2007
  7. Badshah

    Lew Guest

    Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    Badshah wrote [Note the top-posting and run-together of responses, rendering
    the message nearly unreadable]:

    > Thanx for the reply RedGrittyBrick.Ok i will check for the font.
    > On Jan 27, 8:44 pm, RedGrittyBrick <>
    > wrote:
    >> Badshah wrote:
    >> you might like to find out about top-posting too ...
    >> In newsgroups like this, it is accepted practice to put your reply BELOW
    >> the quoted text that you are replying too. Interleave replies so that
    >> the conversation can be read from top to bottom.
    >>
    >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting>

    Apparently you missed the point that both Andrew and RedGrittyBrick made about
    top posting. You quoted it, but did you follow it? Did you read the links?
    Did you think about their advice?

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > ..and while you are at that research, also check out..
    > <http://www.google.com/search?q=top-post+usenet>
    > (and refrain from doing that in future, as well).

    Yet another link. Have you tried these links that people helpfully have
    offered? What is your opinion of the matter?

    - Lew
    Lew, Jan 28, 2007
  8. Badshah

    Badshah Guest

    Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    Instead of answering my original question , why do you go in such
    discussions. I dont understand. If you dont know the answer then its
    ok. Its ok that I have done some mistakes but with suggestion please
    try to answer my question also.
    I am working in Swing.

    Thanx.
    Badshah, Jan 29, 2007
  9. Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    On Jan 29, 4:32 pm, "Badshah" <> wrote:
    > Instead of answering my original question , why do you go in such
    > discussions. I dont understand.

    Please try to understand.
    - If your post is hard to read, fewer people will
    read or understand it.
    - These are *dicsussion* *forums* where people
    talk about Java, not *help* *desks* where people
    'fix your code'.

    >...If you dont know the answer then its
    > ok.

    Of course it is. That does not mean it is OK
    for you to make a single post to a number of
    groups, then ignore the advice you are given
    about not doing that, while also confusing people
    with the habit of putting replies in 'reverse'*.

    >..Its ok that I have done some mistakes but with suggestion please
    > try to answer my question also.

    Sure, as soon as you show any sign of listenning
    to the suggestions already offered. Most people
    here will not help until you show some signs of
    joining our discussion group, as opposed to simply
    coming here to 'get yous codes fixed'.

    * Note that your latest post was not 'top-posted' in
    the sense that the entire previous conversation was
    trimmed.

    To be direct, do you now understand what is meant
    by multi-posting? Top-posting?

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 29, 2007
  10. Badshah

    Badshah Guest

    On Jan 29, 10:48 am, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    > On Jan 29, 4:32 pm, "Badshah" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Instead of answering my original question , why do you go in such
    > > discussions. I dont understand.Please try to understand.

    > - If your post is hard to read, fewer people will
    > read or understand it.
    > - These are *dicsussion* *forums* where people
    > talk about Java, not *help* *desks* where people
    > 'fix your code'.
    >
    > >...If you dont know the answer then its
    > > ok.Of course it is. That does not mean it is OK

    > for you to make a single post to a number of
    > groups, then ignore the advice you are given
    > about not doing that, while also confusing people
    > with the habit of putting replies in 'reverse'*.
    >
    > >..Its ok that I have done some mistakes but with suggestion please
    > > try to answer my question also.Sure, as soon as you show any sign of listenning

    > to the suggestions already offered. Most people
    > here will not help until you show some signs of
    > joining our discussion group, as opposed to simply
    > coming here to 'get yous codes fixed'.
    >
    > * Note that your latest post was not 'top-posted' in
    > the sense that the entire previous conversation was
    > trimmed.
    >
    > To be direct, do you now understand what is meant
    > by multi-posting? Top-posting?
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Is it ok ?
    Badshah, Jan 29, 2007
  11. Badshah

    Badshah Guest

    Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    > To be direct, do you now understand what is meant
    > by multi-posting? Top-posting?
    >
    > Andrew T.

    I have to write here. Is it right ? And for your answer I dont want
    the answer.
    The internet is made to make the things easier not tougher & not to
    waste time.

    Thanx.
    Badshah, Jan 29, 2007
  12. Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    On Jan 29, 5:02 pm, "Badshah" <> wrote:
    > > To be direct, do you now understand what is meant
    > > by multi-posting? Top-posting?

    And the answere to these qestions are what?
    Please break into that, and put one answer
    for each question.*

    > I have to write here. Is it right ?

    You do not 'have to write here', given there are
    a variety of ways to resolve the technical problem
    (including employing the services of a help-desk, or
    consultant).

    As far as seeking technical help on public
    forums, you seem to be posting to a group
    for technically savy programmers, whereas it
    seems you are new to Java. A better group might be..
    comp.lang.java.help

    (* Note how I am participating in *your* discussion
    by answering your question - I get a little frustrated
    when you in turn - ignore *my* questions)

    > ...And for your answer I dont want
    > the answer.
    > The internet ..

    This is *not* the internet. It is a usenet newsgroup.
    Usenet newsgroups predate the internet.

    >...is made to make the things easier

    Usenet newsgroups were devised to allow
    people to disscuss (argue, joke, help) on
    topics of mutual interest to the people who
    read and post to that group.

    >...not tougher & not to waste time.

    So stop wasting *ours*. You seem to be
    discussing this entirely from your own
    perspective. Have you even considered this
    from the point of view of the three people who
    have so far participated in this discussion?

    And as an aside. RGB gave you a tip on the
    correct technical path to follow, so it seems you
    are making posts to this group ..complaining(?)
    of your treatment here, when you could be
    researching the solution to your technical
    problem, or asking for whatever further details
    you might need to get it working.

    So my suggestion is - stop wasting *your*
    time bleating how you are so hard up -
    work the *problem*.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 29, 2007
  13. Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    On Jan 29, 5:45 pm, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    > On Jan 29, 5:02 pm, "Badshah" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > To be direct, do you now understand what is meant
    > > > by multi-posting? Top-posting?And the answere to these qestions are what?

    > Please break into that, and put one answer
    > for each question.*
    >
    > > I have to write here. Is it right ?

    > You do not 'have to write here', ..

    (big trim..)

    My deepest apologies. Most of my reply was
    driven by a deep misunderstanding of what
    you wrote, and frustration based on my
    alternate (wrong) understanding.

    I realise now, that you *were* answering the
    *second* of the questions I asked. Silly me!

    In reply, *yes*. Putting replies *below* the text it
    refers to, is known as 'bottom-posting'. That (along
    with the fine art of trimming) is the better way to go
    about getting help.

    Note that I am still not entirely convinced that you
    understand what *multi-posting* is, or whether you
    would make similar multi-posts in future.
    (That is far more problematic than top-posting)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 29, 2007
  14. Badshah

    Badshah Guest

    Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    > Note that I am still not entirely convinced that you
    > understand what *multi-posting* is, or whether you
    > would make similar multi-posts in future.

    No I got what is multiposting. I will try not to post same question in
    different groups.
    Badshah, Jan 29, 2007
  15. Badshah

    Badshah Guest

    Badshah, Jan 29, 2007
  16. Re: JTextField Unicode Mysql

    On Jan 29, 8:36 pm, "Badshah" <> wrote:
    > >On Jan 29, 5:45 pm, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    > > Note that I am still not entirely convinced that you
    > > understand what *multi-posting* is, or whether you
    > > would make similar multi-posts in future.

    > I will try not to post same question in
    > different groups.

    Thank you.

    How are you going with the technical problem?

    Last I heard, RedGrittyBrick had given some
    tips on encodings(?).

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 29, 2007
  17. Badshah

    Lew Guest

    Badshah wrote:
    > No I got what is multiposting. I will try not to post same question
    > in different groups.

    FYI, it is OK to post in more than one group simultaneously (but not too many)
    if you cross-post instead of multi-post.

    - Lew
    Lew, Jan 29, 2007