    Trying to fiugre out a good way to approach this. I can get the NET::SSH
    session open to the box, but can't figure out how to go form there to
    step 2.

    Josh Hurtado, May 27, 2011

    Afternoon Josh,

    On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Josh Hurtado <> wrote:

    > Hi Everyone,
    > I posted a differnt but related thread about this so though I would hit
    > from a differnt direction.
    >
    > I have a secure SSH box which has access to my differnt Cisco routers. I
    > want to write a program that
    >
    > a) ssh's from my machine to the jump box
    > b) run through a list of routers and telnet into each one and grab the
    > running config
    > c) close the session
    >
    > Trying to fiugre out a good way to approach this. I can get the NET::SSH
    > session open to the box, but can't figure out how to go form there to
    > step 2.

    You want to use SSH Fowarding to forward your telnet sessions over the wire
    to the remote side.

    http://net-ssh.rubyforge.org/ssh/v2/api/ <- the ssh api documentation has
    forwarding as the third to last line of the large example at the top of the
    page.

    Basically you do the following - you tell the ssh session to forward a LOCAL
    port over the wire to a remote address (in this case one of your cisco
    servers).

    So as an example

    If you had a server at 10.0.0.1 port 21 then you could write

    ssh.forward.local(12345, "10.0.0.1", 21)

    Then use the telnet object to connect to port 12345 - this will
    automatically be forwarded over the wire to 10.0.0.1 port 21 via the ssh
    connection.

    So for step 2 you would create an array of your router addresses and then
    something like this

    addrs = ['10.0.0.1', '10.0.0.2', '10.0.0.3']
    addrs.each { |addr|
    ssh.forward.local(12345, addr, 21)
    connect to port 12345 on your localhost with telnet and pull down the
    config
    }

    John
    John