Jumping to a certain page position with #

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Merlin, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    Hi there,

    I do have a complex problem and wonder if this is possible to solve.

    Following situation. I do have a page, where you do have a frame inside
    that page. That frame holds different links to pages inside the mother
    page. The purpose is to show changes since last login. If you click on
    one link inside it takes you to the changes. If there are a lot of
    changes you might need to use the internal vertical scroll bar inside
    the frame. Here is where the problem starts! If you have to scroll down
    quite a bit and you click on a link,the page loads and you have again to
    scroll down within the iframe to get to the link you just clicked on for
    clicking the next on underneath. I would like to have the last clicked
    link on top inside this frame.

    So I tried to call that frame like this: frame.html#4 but that results
    not only to correctly jumping to this link, but also that the whole page
    starts at that link. I mean there are about 200pixels above that frame
    and those are now scrolled to the point of the link as well.

    Has anybody an idea on how to adress only the iframe with a hash #, or
    some other way to define the srolling position within the iframe upon

    Thank you for any help on that.

    Regards,

    merlin

    PS: Unfortunatelly I can not provide a link, as this is inside a login area.
    Merlin, Oct 14, 2006

  2. Merlin

    Spartanicus Guest

    Merlin <> wrote:

    >So I tried to call that frame like this: frame.html#4 but that results
    >not only to correctly jumping to this link, but also that the whole page
    >starts at that link. I mean there are about 200pixels above that frame
    >and those are now scrolled to the point of the link as well.

    That's how it should work. The iframe could be anywhere, if its
    positioned outside of the viewport then /not/ bringing the top of the
    iframe to the top of the viewport would result in nothing apparently
    happening.

    As per usual you are not telling us what you are actually trying to do,
    thereby making it impossible to give meaningful advice.

    >PS: Unfortunatelly I can not provide a link, as this is inside a login area.

    So place the page somewhere public, then post the URL.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 14, 2006

  3. Merlin

    Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 14:42:32 +0200, Merlin <>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I do have a complex problem and wonder if this is possible to solve.

    >Following situation. I do have a page, where you do have a frame inside
    >that page.

    Stop using frames then.
    Ed Seedhouse, Oct 14, 2006