    --
    Duende
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Duende wrote :
    > Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar in IE
    > 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1, NS 7 & just
    > about in Opera 7.
    >
    > http://wipkip.us/test/
    > http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css
    >
    > Please pardon the text. My mind tends to wounder when I write.

    change this....

    #content {
    padding-bottom: 10px;
    padding-top: 0px;
    top: 100px;
    text-align: left;
    float: right;
    margin-left: 3em;
    background-image: url(../images/up-rt-corner.gif);
    background-position: top right ;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    margin-right: 15.5em;
    }

    #content {
    padding-bottom: 10px;
    padding-top: 0px;
    top: 100px;
    text-align: left;
    float: right;
    margin-left: 3em;
    background-image: url(../images/up-rt-corner.gif);
    background-position: top right ;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;

    go bare foot as often as possible

    Disco Octopus, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Duende

    Richard Guest

    Duende wrote:

    > Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar in
    > IE 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1, NS 7 &
    > just about in Opera 7.

    > http://wipkip.us/test/
    > http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css

    > Please pardon the text. My mind tends to wounder when I write.

    Set your div "content" to 75% of the width.

    Richard, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Disco Octopus wrote :
    > Duende wrote :
    >> Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar in
    >> IE 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1, NS 7 &
    >> just about in Opera 7.
    >>
    >> http://wipkip.us/test/
    >> http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css
    >>
    >> Please pardon the text. My mind tends to wounder when I write.

    > change this....

    sorry... try agin.......

    change this....
    #content {
    padding-bottom: 10px;
    padding-top: 0px;
    top: 100px;
    text-align: left;
    float: right;
    margin-left: 3em;
    background-image: url(../images/up-rt-corner.gif);
    background-position: top right ;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    margin-right: 15.5em;
    }

    to this....

    #content {
    padding-bottom: 10px;
    padding-top: 0px;
    top: 100px;
    text-align: left;
    float: right;
    margin-left: 3em;
    background-image: url(../images/up-rt-corner.gif);
    background-position: top right ;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    padding-right: 15.5em;

    dance with children in the rain

    Disco Octopus, Dec 8, 2004
  5. Duende

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Dec 8, 2004
  6. Duende

    rf Guest

    Duende wrote:

    > Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar in

    IE
    > 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1, NS 7 & just
    > about in Opera 7.
    >
    > http://wipkip.us/test/
    > http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css

    It's because you are floating both the content and the menu right. IE has
    serious bugs in float, especially right. It adds up all the widths of the
    floated elements (ignoring, or perhaps including, such things as margins
    (the margin-right on the content)) and gets it wrong, pushing the HTML
    element way out to the right. You can see this if you supply html {border:
    solid 5px green;}.

    The fact that you also absolutely position the menu (as well as floating it)
    may not help. Or may be it's the other way round?

    Anyway, removing the float: right from the content div fixes things. There
    are a few artifacts to clear up but not to worry.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 8, 2004
  7. Duende

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

    > Previously in alt.html, Duende <> said:
    >
    >> http://wipkip.us/test/
    >> http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css

    > Not sure - could be something to do with the float: right; and position:
    > absolute; on the #menu div. You shouldn't need to absolutely position
    > it.

    When I just use float right instead of absolute the menu goes under the
    #content.

    > FWIW, it's the same in IE 5.01 and 5.5. Looks nasty in IE4.01.
    >
    > Nice design, BTW.

    Thanks. Kinda simple though.

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Duende

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Duende <> said:

    > When I just use float right instead of absolute the menu goes under the
    > #content.

    Interesting. Try the suggestions others have made, then try removing it
    again.

    > Thanks. Kinda simple though.

    Nothing wrong with that. No frames though? ;-)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Duende

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > Duende wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar
    >> in

    > IE
    >> 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1, NS 7 &
    >> just about in Opera 7.
    >>
    >> http://wipkip.us/test/
    >> http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css

    > It's because you are floating both the content and the menu right. IE
    > has serious bugs in float, especially right. It adds up all the widths
    > of the floated elements (ignoring, or perhaps including, such things as
    > margins (the margin-right on the content)) and gets it wrong, pushing
    > the HTML element way out to the right. You can see this if you supply
    > html {border: solid 5px green;}.
    >
    > The fact that you also absolutely position the menu (as well as floating
    > it) may not help. Or may be it's the other way round?

    If I remove the float I loose the little corner. If I remove the absolute
    the menu goes below the #content. Doesn't seem right to use both.

    > Anyway, removing the float: right from the content div fixes things.
    > There are a few artifacts to clear up but not to worry.

    Removing the float: right from the content div fixes the horizontal scroll
    bit but makes my little corner go away. :(

    Thanks Cheers Richard

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  10. Duende

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Disco Octopus scribbled in the mud:

    > sorry... try agin.......
    >
    > change this....
    > #content {
    > padding-bottom: 10px;
    > padding-top: 0px;
    > top: 100px;
    > text-align: left;
    > float: right;
    > margin-left: 3em;
    > background-image: url(../images/up-rt-corner.gif);
    > background-position: top right ;
    > background-repeat: no-repeat;
    > margin-right: 15.5em;
    > }
    >

    > to this....
    >
    > #content {
    > padding-bottom: 10px;
    > padding-top: 0px;
    > top: 100px;
    > text-align: left;
    > float: right;
    > margin-left: 3em;
    > background-image: url(../images/up-rt-corner.gif);
    > background-position: top right ;
    > background-repeat: no-repeat;
    > padding-right: 15.5em;
    > }

    Sorry but it looks the same using padding-right as it does with margin-
    right.

    Thanks

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  11. Duende

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

    >> Thanks. Kinda simple though.

    > Nothing wrong with that. No frames though? ;-)

    But I miss them so much. :(

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  12. Duende

    Richard Guest

    Duende wrote:

    > Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar in
    > IE 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1, NS 7 &
    > just about in Opera 7.

    > http://wipkip.us/test/
    > http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css

    > Please pardon the text. My mind tends to wounder when I write.

    > --
    > Duende
    > Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Added a division called container, set to 98% width and the site works just
    fine for me.

    div.container {width:98%;}

    in #content, you should have "float:right;".
    This is why the menu now drops to the bottom right.
    If you add other divisions below the content and menu, then in #menu add
    "clear:both;" or "float:none;".

    Richard, Dec 8, 2004
  13. Duende

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Duende scribbled in the mud:

    > Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar
    > in IE 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1, NS
    > 7 & just about in Opera 7.
    >
    > http://wipkip.us/test/
    > http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css
    >
    > Please pardon the text. My mind tends to wounder when I write.

    Thanks for all your input. After trying many more things I think what finally
    fixed it was to remove the float: right; from the #content. I've only been at
    this for about 2 weeks so I knew it had to be something simple.

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  14. Duende

    Neal Guest

    Duende:

    > Sorry but it looks the same using padding-right as it does with margin-
    > right.

    Looking the same and being the same are not the same. Esse quam videri.

    Neal, Dec 8, 2004
  15. Duende

    rf Guest

    Duende wrote:
    > While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > > Anyway, removing the float: right from the content div fixes things.
    > > There are a few artifacts to clear up but not to worry.
    > >

    > Removing the float: right from the content div fixes the horizontal scroll
    > bit but makes my little corner go away. :(

    I *did* mention artifacts :)

    Anyway I see that you have them cleared up.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 8, 2004
  16. Duende

    Richard Guest

    Duende wrote:

    > While sitting in a puddle Duende scribbled in the mud:

    >> Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar
    >> in IE 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1, NS
    >> 7 & just about in Opera 7.
    >>
    >> http://wipkip.us/test/
    >> http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css
    >>
    >> Please pardon the text. My mind tends to wounder when I write.
    >>

    > Thanks for all your input. After trying many more things I think what
    > finally fixed it was to remove the float: right; from the #content. I've
    > only been at this for about 2 weeks so I knew it had to be something
    > simple.

    Yep. You worked it out just fine.

    http://www.geocities.com/r_bullis/

    Main difference is I use a container as a wrapper for the whole thing.

    Richard, Dec 8, 2004
  17. Duende

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > Duende wrote:
    >> While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    >> > Anyway, removing the float: right from the content div fixes things.
    >> > There are a few artifacts to clear up but not to worry.
    >> >

    >> Removing the float: right from the content div fixes the horizontal scroll
    >> bit but makes my little corner go away. :(

    > I *did* mention artifacts :)

    I liked my little artifact.

    > Anyway I see that you have them cleared up.

    Best IE fix so far.
    http://wipkip.us/test/

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  18. Duende

    rf Guest

    Duende

    > http://wipkip.us/test/

    That girl has been spending Far Too Much Time using usenet :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 8, 2004
  19. Duende

    rf Guest

    Richard

    > http://www.geocities.com/r_bullis/
    >
    > Main difference is I use a container as a wrapper for the whole thing.

    But you missed out on the round corner.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 8, 2004
  20. Duende

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    > Duende wrote:
    >
    > > While sitting in a puddle Duende scribbled in the mud:

    > >> Just wondering how to fix this to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar
    > >> in IE 6. I have SP2 and all updates for IE. Works fine in Firefox 1,

    NS
    > >> 7 & just about in Opera 7.
    > >>
    > >> http://wipkip.us/test/
    > >> http://wipkip.us/test/css/eye.css
    > >>
    > >> Please pardon the text. My mind tends to wounder when I write.
    > >>

    > > Thanks for all your input. After trying many more things I think what
    > > finally fixed it was to remove the float: right; from the #content.

    I've
    > > only been at this for about 2 weeks so I knew it had to be something
    > > simple.

    > Yep. You worked it out just fine.
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/r_bullis/
    >
    > Main difference is I use a container as a wrapper for the whole thing.

    But you lost my round corner. Keeping that was the hard part. with out that
    I would have never had a problem.

    You really should go pay Mike a visit & get off of geocities.
    http://www.hostingforabuck.com/

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004