    Other than that, what other books would you recommend?

    Thanks!

    , Aug 30, 2008

  2. Rolf Magnus Guest

    wrote:

    > I wanted to ask on C++ books. I know searching for "C++ books" on
    > Google Groups yields a zillion threads of this kind, but I wanted to
    > get up-to-date information!
    >
    > Is it true that TC++PL by Bjarne Stroustrup is better for someone that
    > already knows C?

    I'd say yes.

    > I've been programming for a few years, and started with C just a few
    > months ago. I already feel extremely comfortable with C, even more than
    > with the languages I used before. But it worries me the fact that I've
    > only used it for a few months.

    That's good. A few months aren't really enough to master it. But for reading
    TC++PL, you don't need to be a C master at all.

    > Plus, I'm not of the kind that likes to learn C++ by basing on C
    > knowledge. I.e., I'd rather learn everything from a C++ point of view.

    Well, the book doesn't really explain things from a C point of view. I'd say
    that knowledge about C rather helps you concentrate on the C++ view instead
    of needing to learn how basic concepts like e.g. loops work in C++, since
    you alredy know those parts from C.

    > Other than that, what other books would you recommend?

    I've only read TC++PL so far, but that was a while after I started using
    C++. Still I learned a lot.

    Rolf Magnus, Aug 30, 2008

  3. LR Guest

    wrote:

    > Other than that, what other books would you recommend?

    I would recommend looking at the book reviews at this site, www.accu.org

    If you already know how to program then Accelerated C++ might be a good
    choice: http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

    I've heard good things about You Can Program in C++ by Francis Glassborow.

    Thinking in C++ can be downloaded from the author's site
    http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

    The FAQ is a book too, but you can read a version online
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    LR

    LR, Aug 30, 2008
  4. asm23 Guest

    LR wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Other than that, what other books would you recommend?

    > I would recommend looking at the book reviews at this site, www.accu.org
    >
    > If you already know how to program then Accelerated C++ might be a good
    > choice: http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/
    >
    > I've heard good things about You Can Program in C++ by Francis Glassborow.
    >
    > Thinking in C++ can be downloaded from the author's site
    > http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

    This is a great book on C++, I bought both column One and column Two.

    asm23, Sep 2, 2008