Just another question on books...

thmpsn.m.k

I wanted to ask on C++ books. I know searching for "C++ books" on
Google Groups yields a zillion threads of this kind, but I wanted to
get up-to-date information!

Is it true that TC++PL by Bjarne Stroustrup is better for someone that
already knows C? I've been programming for a few years, and started
with C just a few months ago. I already feel extremely comfortable
with C, even more than with the languages I used before. But it
worries me the fact that I've only used it for a few months. Plus, I'm
not of the kind that likes to learn C++ by basing on C knowledge.
I.e., I'd rather learn everything from a C++ point of view.

Other than that, what other books would you recommend?

Thanks!

Rolf Magnus

I wanted to ask on C++ books. I know searching for "C++ books" on
Google Groups yields a zillion threads of this kind, but I wanted to
get up-to-date information!

Is it true that TC++PL by Bjarne Stroustrup is better for someone that
already knows C?

I'd say yes.
I've been programming for a few years, and started with C just a few
months ago. I already feel extremely comfortable with C, even more than
with the languages I used before. But it worries me the fact that I've
only used it for a few months.

That's good. A few months aren't really enough to master it. But for reading
TC++PL, you don't need to be a C master at all.
Plus, I'm not of the kind that likes to learn C++ by basing on C
knowledge. I.e., I'd rather learn everything from a C++ point of view.

Well, the book doesn't really explain things from a C point of view. I'd say
that knowledge about C rather helps you concentrate on the C++ view instead
of needing to learn how basic concepts like e.g. loops work in C++, since
you alredy know those parts from C.
Other than that, what other books would you recommend?

I've only read TC++PL so far, but that was a while after I started using
C++. Still I learned a lot.

LR

Other than that, what other books would you recommend?

I would recommend looking at the book reviews at this site, www.accu.org

If you already know how to program then Accelerated C++ might be a good
choice: http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

I've heard good things about You Can Program in C++ by Francis Glassborow.

Thinking in C++ can be downloaded from the author's site
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

The FAQ is a book too, but you can read a version online
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

LR

asm23