    back to the other important stuff...

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 18, 2005

  2. In article <6jUCe.6929$>,
    says...
    > I have been a TopStyle fan for several years now. But since I was doing
    > a couple of personal projects in PHP I thought I would google "php
    > editor" and see what was out there.
    >
    > I ran across WebBuilder (http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/) I
    > download it, played with it for a day, and bought it ($39) It is now
    > (after a day) my new editor for everything.
    >
    > It has everything I need in an editor. Type ahead help for HTML, CSS,
    > Javascript, PHP, ASP, and Perl (actually don't need the pearl stuff).
    > It has tidy and w3c validation and lets me set FF as my default viewer.
    >
    > Is it perfect? Nope not by a long shot. But it is the best I have
    > found so far and well worth the $39 investment.
    >
    > Ok, that's all. Just wanted to give some kudos to a nice program. Go
    > back to the other important stuff...

    Looks not too dissimilar to HTML-Kit, which is $39 cheaper.

    --
    Hywel

    Kill the Crazy Frog
    http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >>I have been a TopStyle fan for several years now. But since I was doing
    >>a couple of personal projects in PHP I thought I would google "php
    >>editor" and see what was out there.
    >>I ran across WebBuilder (http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/) I
    >>download it, played with it for a day, and bought it ($39) It is now
    >>(after a day) my new editor for everything.

    > Looks not too dissimilar to HTML-Kit, which is $39 cheaper.

    Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit. And HTMLKit would be a good
    alternative if you don't have the $39. But after playing with both I
    still prefer WeBuilder. But then Editors, like toilet paper, are always
    a matter of personal preference.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Travis Newbury

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    <> writing in

    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >>>I have been a TopStyle fan for several years now. But since I was
    >>>doing a couple of personal projects in PHP I thought I would google
    >>>"php editor" and see what was out there.
    >>>I ran across WebBuilder (http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/) I
    >>>download it, played with it for a day, and bought it ($39) It is now
    >>>(after a day) my new editor for everything.

    >> Looks not too dissimilar to HTML-Kit, which is $39 cheaper.

    > Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit. And HTMLKit would be a good
    > alternative if you don't have the $39. But after playing with both I
    > still prefer WeBuilder. But then Editors, like toilet paper, are
    > always a matter of personal preference.

    No sir, I don't like it. HTML-Kit is much more configurable and has more
    plugins than you can shake a stick at. One thing I really like is red on
    yellow for comments (I had to do that when my monitor was on the fritz),
    and this program won't let you change syntax highlighting colors. I'm sure
    there are other things I wouldn't like either, but, as you say, to each his
    own.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Jul 18, 2005
  5. Travis Newbury

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne
    <> writing in

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    ><> writing in

    >> Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit. And HTMLKit would be a good
    >> alternative if you don't have the $39. But after playing with both I
    >> still prefer WeBuilder. But then Editors, like toilet paper, are
    >> always a matter of personal preference.
    >>

    > No sir, I don't like it. HTML-Kit is much more configurable and has
    > more plugins than you can shake a stick at. One thing I really like is
    > red on yellow for comments (I had to do that when my monitor was on the
    > fritz), and this program won't let you change syntax highlighting
    > colors. I'm sure there are other things I wouldn't like either, but,
    > as you say, to each his own.

    Yup, I knew there would be something else. On removing it, it opened a
    browser and went to its home page. That's almost as bad as a exit pop-
    under.

    Adrienne, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Adrienne wrote:
    > Yup, I knew there would be something else. On removing it, it opened a
    > browser and went to its home page. That's almost as bad as a exit pop-
    > under.

    No it didn't. It opened a browser and went to a form that asked you
    for input as to why you did not want the software. There is a big
    difference between that and a home page. But I do agree, there was
    little need to do that.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 19, 2005
  7. Adrienne wrote:
    > > Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit....

    > No sir, I don't like it [WeBuilder]....

    I tried HTMLKit before going with TopStyle. It just did not "feel"
    right (what ever that means). I looked at it several other times and
    it still never did it for me.

    > and this program won't let you change syntax highlighting colors.

    You know I couldn't believe that when I read it. And I was right. It
    was hidden under Preference->Text Editor->Colors, then you have a drop
    down for HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP, and a few others.

    > I'm sure
    > there are other things I wouldn't like either, but, as you say, to each his
    > own.

    I am sure there are a ton of things a lot of people won't like. There
    are some I don't. But It just felt good to me. I like to share things
    that work for me.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 19, 2005
  8. Travis Newbury

    > Adrienne wrote:
    >> > Yea, it is very similar to HTML kit....

    >> No sir, I don't like it [WeBuilder]....

    > I tried HTMLKit before going with TopStyle. It just did not "feel"
    > right (what ever that means). I looked at it several other times and
    > it still never did it for me.
    >
    >> and this program won't let you change syntax highlighting colors.

    > You know I couldn't believe that when I read it. And I was right. It
    > was hidden under Preference->Text Editor->Colors, then you have a drop
    > down for HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP, and a few others.
    >
    >> I'm sure
    >> there are other things I wouldn't like either, but, as you say, to
    >> each his own.

    > I am sure there are a ton of things a lot of people won't like. There
    > are some I don't. But It just felt good to me. I like to share things
    > that work for me.

    One thing I don't like about HTML-Kit is it has no real project management.
    AceHTML has a decent one, and HotMetal (long, long time ago) had a real
    good one, and Webuilder did seem to have something. TopStyle has good
    management for CSS.

    Actually, I would be happy with a stand alone project management tool, any
    recommendations?

    Adrienne, Jul 19, 2005
  9. Adrienne wrote:
    > One thing I don't like about HTML-Kit is it has no real project management.
    > AceHTML has a decent one, and HotMetal (long, long time ago) had a real
    > good one, and Webuilder did seem to have something. TopStyle has good
    > management for CSS.

    I liked Topstyle's project management the best, but wished they had FTP
    built in. WeBuilder is just "ok" for project management. Seeing a file
    folder and list is not what I consider project management. I wished they
    let you have filters for the file views.

    > Actually, I would be happy with a stand alone project management tool, any
    > recommendations?

    Nope, never used one (a stand alone one)

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 19, 2005