Just browsed on Toshiba web sites...

Henry

And that thing is absolutely flying, especially Australian because I'm
in Australia.

Besides local servers Toshiba is so fast that I can't recall anyone so
fast, despite using Flash and tables.

Any idea, why?

http://www.toshiba.com/tai-new/

Roy Schestowitz

Henry said:
And that thing is absolutely flying, especially Australian because I'm
in Australia.

Besides local servers Toshiba is so fast that I can't recall anyone so
fast, despite using Flash and tables.

Any idea, why?

http://www.toshiba.com/tai-new/

Yes, it /is/ fast. I am not sure I can judge too well because I'm on a
100Mbit/sec connection, but the page came up very quickly and neatly.

Is it possible that you are using cache (local or remote) and somebody else
has already visited the page? That would make a considerable difference.

Roy

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Roy said:
Yes, it /is/ fast. I am not sure I can judge too well because I'm
on a 100Mbit/sec connection, but the page came up very quickly and
neatly.

...and totally inaccessible to anyone without JavaScript...

Yes, it was pretty fast .. there was no content. :)

SpaceGirl

Roy said:
Henry wrote:

Yes, it /is/ fast. I am not sure I can judge too well because I'm on a
100Mbit/sec connection, but the page came up very quickly and neatly.

Is it possible that you are using cache (local or remote) and somebody else
has already visited the page? That would make a considerable difference.

Roy

Loaded instantly for me too, from over here in Scotland. They must have
a good ISP...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Travis Newbury

Beauregard said:
..and totally inaccessible to anyone without JavaScript...
Yes, it was pretty fast .. there was no content. :)
Well I guess you have a choice to make.

Henry

SpaceGirl said:
Loaded instantly for me too, from over here in Scotland. They must have
a good ISP...

And I thought, stupid me, that coding makes a difference!

Hahahahahahahaha...

Travis Newbury

Beauregard said:
..and that choice would be to buy something other than Toshiba
equipment.

That is your progative. And if enough people do just that, then they
may change their website. But I would not hold my breath.
Here is what the Googlebot will see. Nice.

So what. They may not be that interested in their placement in a
search. If you need the information on the site you will turn
javascript on, or go search somewhere else for the information/products
you need. They are probalby not too woried about that either right
now.
Why do so many authors feel it is necessary to use JavaScript to load
the *content*?

Because that is what they were brought up on. They will not change
until they see a monitary reason to do so. And that has yet to
materialize, and probalby won't in the near future.

Usibility and accessability are relativly new things. The world of the
web developers have not taken hold yet. I would guess that non visual
browsers (and robots) will get smarter and understand how to handle
things like Javascript and Flash long before you see them go away.
Just look at Google. they now can spider Flash. How soon until the
readers can cope with it too? Probalby not too long.

Dan

Travis said:
Usibility and accessability are relativly new things.

How so? It seems they were built into the Web from its invention by
Tim Berners-Lee over 10 years ago, and it's only later that unusability
and inaccessibility were added in by incompetent designers.

Henry

<http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?url=http://www.toshiba.com/tai-new/+>

Why do so many authors feel it is necessary to use JavaScript to load
the *content*?

Google...

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=toshiba&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

The first place.

Who needs Google for Toshiba?

Google needs THEM!

Does Google needs Google???

;)

Simply type www.toshiba.com

or www.google.com

BTW. If someone wants to buy Toshiba notebook from their web site, he
will go even to friends home to place an order if his machine will fail
because lack of javascript support of Flash.

If the web site has a desirable contents, id does matter how it looks,
loads, etc, etc. The user will never leave it and will even adjust his
browser setting because of contents of the site.

Crap needs advertising and any slightest discomfort on the web site is
causing people to leave.

Travis Newbury

Dan said:
How so? It seems they were built into the Web from its invention by
Tim Berners-Lee over 10 years ago, and it's only later that unusability
and inaccessibility were added in by incompetent designers.

This is not his web any more (thank God). Also, one has to make sure
they are not confusing innovation with inaccessibility. With each new
innovation will come some accessibility issues. These will eventually
be resolved, the inaccessibility deemed irrelevant, or the innovation
will go away.

Travis Newbury

Henry said:
BTW. If someone wants to buy Toshiba notebook from their web site, he
will go even to friends home to place an order if his machine will fail
because lack of javascript support of Flash.

Wait! Me first! Me first! "I would leave the site rather than turn on
javascript!"

Ok, I really wouldn't, I would just turn on javascript and buy the
computer, but some one is bound to say it, so I wanted t be first....

Henry

Travis said:
Wait! Me first! Me first! "I would leave the site rather than turn on
javascript!"

Ok, I really wouldn't, I would just turn on javascript and buy the
computer, but some one is bound to say it, so I wanted t be first....

Some articles I'm interested with are on some horrible background and
sometimes I'm even forced to copy whole damn thing into Word or Front
Page and than I'm able to read it.

I'm not advocating bad web design, but... if the web has something very
interesting in red 8px fonts on blue bg, most people will still read it.

With pain but often is worth it!

;)

rf

Henry said:
Some articles I'm interested with are on some horrible background and
sometimes I'm even forced to copy whole damn thing into Word or Front
Page and than I'm able to read it.

Why not simply build yourself a user style sheet?

Mine ignores font size, line height, both foreground and background colour
and, of course, flash and other activeX controls.

Javascript I allow to run because after all with good security (read *no*
activeX controls) it's harmless.

kchayka

rf said:
Javascript I allow to run because after all with good security (read *no*
activeX controls) it's harmless.

"Harmless" is subjective, methinks. The effects of JS can be quite
annoying, which might be considered harmful on a psychological level.

Travis Newbury

kchayka said:
"Harmless" is subjective, methinks. The effects of JS can be quite
annoying, which might be considered harmful on a psychological level.

If someone is having a psychological issues with Javascript, then there
are BIGGER issues they must be dealing with.
These are the kinds of people they write gun laws for...

jake

[QUOTE="kchayka said:
Javascript I allow to run because after all with good security (read *no*
activeX controls) it's harmless.

"Harmless" is subjective, methinks. The effects of JS can be quite
annoying, which might be considered harmful on a psychological level.
[/QUOTE]
You sure about that? I leave JS switched on -- and I'm still the warm,
cuddly human being that I've always been ........

regards.

kchayka

Travis said:
If someone is having a psychological issues with Javascript, then there
are BIGGER issues they must be dealing with.

Sorry I forgot the smiley. :)

However, you can't deny that JS can get aggravating, can you? The web
site for one of my credit cards is one example. Their JS menus are badly
designed and using them gets really frustrating for me. Of course, the
site is unusable with JS disabled.

BTW, complaints, even though politely stated, seem to have fallen on
deaf ears. I'd take my business elsewhere, but can't get the same deal
anywhere else.