    http://www.asetek.com/

    Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

    Si

    Si, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Si

    Fat Sam Guest

    Si wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
    > have seen in Firefox so far.
    >
    > http://www.asetek.com/
    >
    > Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.
    >
    > Si

    Oh, that looks lovely in Firefox.....It's like the annual convention for
    error messages.....

    --
    Sam.
    www.fixaphoto.co.uk

    Fat Sam, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Si

    Steven Guest

    Fat Sam wrote:

    > Si wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all.
    >>
    >>A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
    >>have seen in Firefox so far.
    >>
    >>http://www.asetek.com/
    >>
    >>Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.
    >>
    >>Si

    > Oh, that looks lovely in Firefox.....It's like the annual convention for
    > error messages.....

    It appears to work fine if you change the user agent string in FireFox
    to Explorer (Mac or PC) with User Agent Switcher.

    Steven

    Steven, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Si

    Richard Guest

    Si wrote:

    > Hi all.

    > A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
    > have seen in Firefox so far.

    > http://www.asetek.com/

    > Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

    > Si

    Don't ya just love the tricky ways of spamming your products?
    "this site is just for firefox."
    Bullshit. The site has to be made available to any browser any time.
    Worked just fine, and sucked just fine in IE 6.

    Richard, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Si

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Steven wrote:

    > It appears to work fine if you change the user agent string in FireFox
    > to Explorer (Mac or PC) with User Agent Switcher.

    Ditto for Opera.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Si

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Si wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all.

    > > A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
    > > have seen in Firefox so far.

    > > http://www.asetek.com/

    > > Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

    > > Si

    > Don't ya just love the tricky ways of spamming your products?
    > "this site is just for firefox."
    > Bullshit. The site has to be made available to any browser any time.
    > Worked just fine, and sucked just fine in IE 6.

    *rolls her eyes*

    Did you even visit the site in FF?

    I think you missed the point. It wasn't spam. Just a demonstration of
    someones STUPID server-side browser detection script that totally fucks
    up if you're using FireFox. God knows why - detection scripts are so
    easy in IIS/asp.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Si

    Dylan Parry Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > God knows why - detection scripts are so easy in IIS/asp.

    But still totally unreliable and entirely broken :)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Dec 4, 2004
  8. Si

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >> God knows why - detection scripts are so easy in IIS/asp.

    > But still totally unreliable and entirely broken :)

    Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA. Even a browser
    like Opera STILL says the word "opera" somewhere in the UA string, even
    if the rest of it is faking IE. It's a fairly reliable way to testing
    browsers; the vast majority of users dont bother "faking" UA strings
    after all...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 4, 2004
  9. Si

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    SpaceGirl <> wrote:

    > >> God knows why - detection scripts are so easy in IIS/asp.

    > > But still totally unreliable and entirely broken :)

    > Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA. Even a browser
    > like Opera STILL says the word "opera" somewhere in the UA string, even
    > if the rest of it is faking IE. It's a fairly reliable way to testing
    > browsers; the vast majority of users dont bother "faking" UA strings
    > after all...

    Actually they are. IE for instance identifies itself as a Mozila browser.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Dec 4, 2004
  10. Si

    Toby Inkster Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA.

    Pretty much every mainstream browser fakes its UA.

    By default...

    IE pretends to be Mozilla 4.0.
    Netscape ver < 5.0 pretend to be Mozilla ver < 5.0
    Mozilla 1.x pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.
    Netscape 6.x and 7.x pretend to be Mozilla 5.0.
    Opera 7.x pretends to be IE 6 pretending to be Mozilla 4.0.
    Firefox pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.

    Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
    user-agent.

    If only User-Agent strings were honest (by default) instead of pretending
    to be something they're not.

    e.g.
    MSIE 6 sent "User-Agent: InternetExplorer/6.0 (ServicePack 1.0; Windows 98)"
    Firefox sent "User-Agent: Firefox/1.0 Gecko/20041107 (Linux; en-GB)"

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 4, 2004
  11. Si

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    > I think you missed the point. It wasn't spam. Just a demonstration of
    > someones STUPID server-side browser detection script that totally fucks up
    > if you're using FireFox. God knows why - detection scripts are so easy in
    > IIS/asp.

    Ironically Microsoft itself has somewhat similar pages on its site: when I
    use FF to use the MS site, many pages display a warning message if the
    browser is not IE or NN6, saying that other browsers may lack features which
    the site depends on. Clearly MS is not aware that NN7 is out, and is also
    not aware that Mozilla, Firefox, etc. are at least as capable as NN6.

    C A Upsdell, Dec 4, 2004
  12. On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:33:20 +0000, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    [...]

    >Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
    >user-agent.

    Which I never really understood because it's not a Gecko browser.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

    Nick Theodorakis, Dec 4, 2004
  13. Si

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Kris wrote:

    >>>But still totally unreliable and entirely broken :)

    >>Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA. Even a browser
    >>like Opera STILL says the word "opera" somewhere in the UA string, even
    >>if the rest of it is faking IE. It's a fairly reliable way to testing
    >>browsers; the vast majority of users dont bother "faking" UA strings
    >>after all...

    > Actually they are. IE for instance identifies itself as a Mozila browser.

    It doesn't take heroic logic to process the strings to find out what the
    browser really is, duh!

    if it contains the words "internet explorer" and "opera", then it's opera.

    if it contains "internet explore" and "mozilla" it's IE...

    and so on.

    gawd, have people forgotten to think for themselves?????

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 4, 2004
  14. Si

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >

    >>Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA.

    > Pretty much every mainstream browser fakes its UA.
    >
    > By default...
    >
    > IE pretends to be Mozilla 4.0.

    No it doesn't. It has the WORD Mozilla in the string, but also has the
    words "Internet Explorer".

    > Netscape ver < 5.0 pretend to be Mozilla ver < 5.0

    Yes, also the words "Netscape" appear in there. Again, easy.

    > Mozilla 1.x pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.

    Yawn.

    > Netscape 6.x and 7.x pretend to be Mozilla 5.0.

    Yawn.

    > Opera 7.x pretends to be IE 6 pretending to be Mozilla 4.0.

    LOL. Yeah. But the word "Opera" is in there. Again, really easy to identify.

    > Firefox pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.

    The word "FireFox" is in there.... eesh.

    > Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
    > user-agent.

    Yes. Makes no difference either way.

    > If only User-Agent strings were honest (by default) instead of pretending
    > to be something they're not.

    They dont lie usually. They only lie if your too fecking stupid to write
    a script that can processes a basic line of text looking for
    combinations of matching words. It's not rocket science.

    > e.g.
    > MSIE 6 sent "User-Agent: InternetExplorer/6.0 (ServicePack 1.0; Windows 98)"
    > Firefox sent "User-Agent: Firefox/1.0 Gecko/20041107 (Linux; en-GB)"

    You dont need it. It works fine the way it is now.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 4, 2004
  15. Si

    Dylan Parry Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    [User-agent strings]
    > They dont lie usually. They only lie if your too fecking stupid to write
    > a script that can processes a basic line of text looking for
    > combinations of matching words. It's not rocket science.

    Mine always lies :) Saying that though, I am not the average user. At
    the moment, my browser sends "Dylan/1.0 [en] (Windows NT 5.1; U)" as the
    user-agent string.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Dec 4, 2004
  16. Dylan Parry <> wrote:

    >SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >[User-agent strings]
    >> They dont lie usually. They only lie if your too fecking stupid to write
    >> a script that can processes a basic line of text looking for
    >> combinations of matching words. It's not rocket science.

    >Mine always lies :) Saying that though, I am not the average user. At
    >the moment, my browser sends "Dylan/1.0 [en] (Windows NT 5.1; U)" as the
    >user-agent string.

    Today my UA string is:
    "Fnorkzilla/5.0 (Windows; Z; Windows NT 5.0a; rv:0.0.9) Wacko/20041231
    Fnork/0.9"

    Who know what it will be tomorrow.

    Frederic Banaszak, Dec 4, 2004
  17. Si

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "Nick Theodorakis" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:33:20 +0000, Toby Inkster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
    >>user-agent.

    > Which I never really understood because it's not a Gecko browser.

    Hyatt said that he did this so that browser sniffers not capable of
    distinguishing Safari would treat Safari like Gecko.

    C A Upsdell, Dec 4, 2004
  18. Si

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    SpaceGirl <> wrote:

    > gawd, have people forgotten to think for themselves?????

    You meant to say, their UA strings are unique and most never change.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Dec 4, 2004
  19. SpaceGirl <> writes:

    > It doesn't take heroic logic to process the strings to find out what
    > the browser really is, duh!

    Attempts to find out what 'the browser' really is by UA sniffing doesn't
    take *any* logic. Shemale intuition suffices.

    > gawd, have people forgotten to think for themselves?????

    Fair question, answered by Korpela's 31st law (I'm not sure, though, how
    the past participle fits in).

    --
    | ) Più Cabernet,
    -( meno Internet.

    Eric B. Bednarz, Dec 4, 2004
  20. Si

    Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA.

    You make it sound unusual!

    Here are some of my visitors
    from my logs -- just this week:

    Googlebot, msnbot, unknown, psbot, Ilirovatore, TAMU_CS_IRL_CRAWLER,
    NutchCVS,Yahoo,W3C_Validator,sohu,SurveyBot,PEERbot.www.peerbot.com,
    SearchByUsa,appie,ia_archiver,GeneaSeek,Wget,Bookmark,Amfibibot,mywebcollege,
    zerxspid,Faxbot,NaverBot,Baiduspider,Missigua Locator, Ace Explorer,
    Gaisbot,eStyleSearch4,Java,sna,WEP Search,
    webcollage,Jigsaw,MobileExplorer,Jetbot,IP+Works!,http:,SOFT411 Directory,
    NG, Talkro Web,TurnitinBot,MJ12bot,Vagabondo,FavOog,Ultraseek, pipeLiner,
    wbdbot,Robozilla,Links SQL, Scooter, NPBot,PHP version
    tracker,Y!OASIS,LWP::Simple,Zeus52864WebsterPro,DoctorHTML,PortHuronLabs,
    lwp,GoForIT.com, Verizon Superpages Web Crawler, -DIE, SonyEricksson700i.

    Even excluding the bots:
    Can you say you know how many of *these* are faked?
    Can you say whch are even actual web browsers?

    I know you can write an agent with a few lines of Perl that will identify
    itself as anything you want. *Anything.*

    Sometimes it makes sense to test the environment for what a browser will DO.
    It doesn't make sense to test for what a browser IS.

    , Dec 4, 2004