Just for Firefox?

Si

Hi all.

A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
have seen in Firefox so far.

http://www.asetek.com/

Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

Si

Fat Sam

Si said:
Hi all.

A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
have seen in Firefox so far.

http://www.asetek.com/

Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

Si

Oh, that looks lovely in Firefox.....It's like the annual convention for
error messages.....

Steven

Fat said:
Si said:
Hi all.

A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
have seen in Firefox so far.

http://www.asetek.com/

Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

Si

Oh, that looks lovely in Firefox.....It's like the annual convention for
error messages.....

It appears to work fine if you change the user agent string in FireFox
to Explorer (Mac or PC) with User Agent Switcher.

Steven

Richard

Si said:
A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
have seen in Firefox so far.

Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

Don't ya just love the tricky ways of spamming your products?
"this site is just for firefox."
Bullshit. The site has to be made available to any browser any time.
Worked just fine, and sucked just fine in IE 6.

Toby Inkster

Steven said:
It appears to work fine if you change the user agent string in FireFox
to Explorer (Mac or PC) with User Agent Switcher.

Ditto for Opera.

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
Si said:
A friend has just pointed me to [possibly] the most interesting site I
have seen in Firefox so far.

Thought it may go down well for a cheer you all up Saturday morning.

Don't ya just love the tricky ways of spamming your products?
"this site is just for firefox."
Bullshit. The site has to be made available to any browser any time.
Worked just fine, and sucked just fine in IE 6.

*rolls her eyes*

Did you even visit the site in FF?

I think you missed the point. It wasn't spam. Just a demonstration of
someones STUPID server-side browser detection script that totally fucks
up if you're using FireFox. God knows why - detection scripts are so
easy in IIS/asp.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Dylan said:
But still totally unreliable and entirely broken :)

Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA. Even a browser
like Opera STILL says the word "opera" somewhere in the UA string, even
if the rest of it is faking IE. It's a fairly reliable way to testing
browsers; the vast majority of users dont bother "faking" UA strings
after all...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Kris

But still totally unreliable and entirely broken :)

Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA. Even a browser
like Opera STILL says the word "opera" somewhere in the UA string, even
if the rest of it is faking IE. It's a fairly reliable way to testing
browsers; the vast majority of users dont bother "faking" UA strings
after all...[/QUOTE]

Actually they are. IE for instance identifies itself as a Mozila browser.

Toby Inkster

SpaceGirl said:
Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA.

Pretty much every mainstream browser fakes its UA.

By default...

IE pretends to be Mozilla 4.0.
Netscape ver < 5.0 pretend to be Mozilla ver < 5.0
Mozilla 1.x pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.
Netscape 6.x and 7.x pretend to be Mozilla 5.0.
Opera 7.x pretends to be IE 6 pretending to be Mozilla 4.0.
Firefox pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.

Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
user-agent.

If only User-Agent strings were honest (by default) instead of pretending
to be something they're not.

e.g.
MSIE 6 sent "User-Agent: InternetExplorer/6.0 (ServicePack 1.0; Windows 98)"
Firefox sent "User-Agent: Firefox/1.0 Gecko/20041107 (Linux; en-GB)"

C A Upsdell

SpaceGirl said:
I think you missed the point. It wasn't spam. Just a demonstration of
someones STUPID server-side browser detection script that totally fucks up
if you're using FireFox. God knows why - detection scripts are so easy in
IIS/asp.

Ironically Microsoft itself has somewhat similar pages on its site: when I
use FF to use the MS site, many pages display a warning message if the
browser is not IE or NN6, saying that other browsers may lack features which
the site depends on. Clearly MS is not aware that NN7 is out, and is also
not aware that Mozilla, Firefox, etc. are at least as capable as NN6.

Nick Theodorakis

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:33:20 +0000, Toby Inkster

[...]
Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
user-agent.

Which I never really understood because it's not a Gecko browser.

Nick

SpaceGirl

Kris said:
Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA. Even a browser
like Opera STILL says the word "opera" somewhere in the UA string, even
if the rest of it is faking IE. It's a fairly reliable way to testing
browsers; the vast majority of users dont bother "faking" UA strings
after all...

Actually they are. IE for instance identifies itself as a Mozila browser.
[/QUOTE]

It doesn't take heroic logic to process the strings to find out what the
browser really is, duh!

if it contains the words "internet explorer" and "opera", then it's opera.

if it contains "internet explore" and "mozilla" it's IE...

and so on.

gawd, have people forgotten to think for themselves?????

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Toby said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

Pretty much every mainstream browser fakes its UA.

By default...

IE pretends to be Mozilla 4.0.

No it doesn't. It has the WORD Mozilla in the string, but also has the
words "Internet Explorer".

Netscape ver < 5.0 pretend to be Mozilla ver < 5.0

Yes, also the words "Netscape" appear in there. Again, easy.
Mozilla 1.x pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.
Yawn.

Netscape 6.x and 7.x pretend to be Mozilla 5.0.
Yawn.

Opera 7.x pretends to be IE 6 pretending to be Mozilla 4.0.

LOL. Yeah. But the word "Opera" is in there. Again, really easy to identify.
Firefox pretends to be Mozilla 5.0.

The word "FireFox" is in there.... eesh.

Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
user-agent.

Yes. Makes no difference either way.
If only User-Agent strings were honest (by default) instead of pretending
to be something they're not.

They dont lie usually. They only lie if your too fecking stupid to write
a script that can processes a basic line of text looking for
combinations of matching words. It's not rocket science.
e.g.
MSIE 6 sent "User-Agent: InternetExplorer/6.0 (ServicePack 1.0; Windows 98)"
Firefox sent "User-Agent: Firefox/1.0 Gecko/20041107 (Linux; en-GB)"

You dont need it. It works fine the way it is now.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl wrote:

[User-agent strings]
They dont lie usually. They only lie if your too fecking stupid to write
a script that can processes a basic line of text looking for
combinations of matching words. It's not rocket science.

Mine always lies :) Saying that though, I am not the average user. At
the moment, my browser sends "Dylan/1.0 [en] (Windows NT 5.1; U)" as the
user-agent string.

Frederic Banaszak

Dylan Parry said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

[User-agent strings]
They dont lie usually. They only lie if your too fecking stupid to write
a script that can processes a basic line of text looking for
combinations of matching words. It's not rocket science.

Mine always lies :) Saying that though, I am not the average user. At
the moment, my browser sends "Dylan/1.0 [en] (Windows NT 5.1; U)" as the
user-agent string.

Today my UA string is:
"Fnorkzilla/5.0 (Windows; Z; Windows NT 5.0a; rv:0.0.9) Wacko/20041231
Fnork/0.9"

Who know what it will be tomorrow.

C A Upsdell

Nick Theodorakis said:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:33:20 +0000, Toby Inkster

[...]
Safari is basically honest, but includes the magic string "Gecko" in its
user-agent.

Which I never really understood because it's not a Gecko browser.

Hyatt said that he did this so that browser sniffers not capable of
distinguishing Safari would treat Safari like Gecko.

Eric B. Bednarz

SpaceGirl said:
It doesn't take heroic logic to process the strings to find out what
the browser really is, duh!

Attempts to find out what 'the browser' really is by UA sniffing doesn't
take *any* logic. Shemale intuition suffices.
gawd, have people forgotten to think for themselves?????

Fair question, answered by Korpela's 31st law (I'm not sure, though, how
the past participle fits in).

NOXwebmasterx

SpaceGirl said:
Not really - unless the browser utterly fakes its UA.

You make it sound unusual!

Here are some of my visitors
from my logs -- just this week:

Googlebot, msnbot, unknown, psbot, Ilirovatore, TAMU_CS_IRL_CRAWLER,
NutchCVS,Yahoo,W3C_Validator,sohu,SurveyBot,PEERbot.www.peerbot.com,
SearchByUsa,appie,ia_archiver,GeneaSeek,Wget,Bookmark,Amfibibot,mywebcollege,
zerxspid,Faxbot,NaverBot,Baiduspider,Missigua Locator, Ace Explorer,
Gaisbot,eStyleSearch4,Java,sna,WEP Search,
webcollage,Jigsaw,MobileExplorer,Jetbot,IP+Works!,http:,SOFT411 Directory,
NG, Talkro Web,TurnitinBot,MJ12bot,Vagabondo,FavOog,Ultraseek, pipeLiner,
wbdbot,Robozilla,Links SQL, Scooter, NPBot,PHP version
tracker,Y!OASIS,LWP::Simple,Zeus52864WebsterPro,DoctorHTML,PortHuronLabs,
lwp,GoForIT.com, Verizon Superpages Web Crawler, -DIE, SonyEricksson700i.

Even excluding the bots:
Can you say you know how many of *these* are faked?
Can you say whch are even actual web browsers?

I know you can write an agent with a few lines of Perl that will identify
itself as anything you want. *Anything.*

Sometimes it makes sense to test the environment for what a browser will DO.
It doesn't make sense to test for what a browser IS.