Just for Firefox?

Andrew Donaldson

Toby Inkster wrote:

[RISC OS browsers]
112 hits out of over 4 million. I'll let you calculate the percentage.

Thanks. I'll need a decimal point and a lot of zeroes.

Of course, RISC OS browsers can do ID faking too. That figure could
easily be as high as 120, 130...

:)

Andrew

johnsu01

Toby Inkster said:
Stats for main site at work <URL:http://www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com/>
(not exactly aimed at geeks) for November 2004. (Over 4 million hits.)

IE6/win 82.5%
IE5.5/win 5.1%
IE5.0/win 4.8%
IE5.x/mac 1.2%
Gecko-based 4.5%
Safari 1.4%
Opera 0.4%

[...]

Something peripheral to this whole discussion to consider --- doesn't
faking your User-Agent string skew the kind of information people get
in logs about what kind of software is used to visit their site? I'm
guessing that this ends up hurting representation of the Non-IE
community, since most faking is probably done by people with
Gecko-based browsers. Maybe that's not true. But, either way, it gives
bad information, which can lead to bad design decisions. Is that a
reason not to fake?

C A Upsdell

johnsu01 said:
Toby Inkster said:
[...]

I reports stats from a number of sources. See
http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat.htm .

I doubt that enough people set their own userAgent strings to affect the
stats. In my experience the bigger problem is sniffers that fail to parse
userAgent strings properly, and therefore fail to properly identify
browsers, e.g. that fail to recognize Opera, mistaking it oftentimes for IE.
Note in this context that about 75% of Opera users are configured to mimic
IE (source: EWS). This decreases the apparent number of Opera users, and
increases the apparent number of IE users.