    intalled (since http://localhost is address for my Tomcat (JSP
    server..)) I see no read-me or config instructions with this install.
    Thank you..
    Frances, Apr 18, 2006

  2. "Frances" <> wrote in message
    news:4444fe06$0$15794$...
    > I just installed IIS in my W2k machine.. have hardly ever done any asp..
    > first thing I need to know is how do you change the port once it's
    > intalled (since http://localhost is address for my Tomcat (JSP
    > server..)) I see no read-me or config instructions with this install.
    > Thank you..

    Not really an ASP question but...

    Open the properties of the Default Web Site using IIS Manager

    Next to the IP Address click Advanced...

    (All Unassigned) | 80

    should already be highlighted click Edit...

    Change TCP Port to your chosen port number.
    OK out the dialogs.

    Anthony.
    Anthony Jones, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Frances

    Frances Guest

    Anthony Jones wrote:
    > "Frances" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just installed IIS in my W2k machine.. have hardly ever done any asp..
    >>first thing I need to know is how do you change the port once it's
    >>intalled (since http://localhost is address for my Tomcat (JSP
    >>server..)) I see no read-me or config instructions with this install.
    >>Thank you..
    >>

    > Not really an ASP question but...
    >
    > Open the properties of the Default Web Site using IIS Manager
    >
    > Next to the IP Address click Advanced...
    >
    > (All Unassigned) | 80
    >
    > should already be highlighted click Edit...
    >
    > Change TCP Port to your chosen port number.
    > OK out the dialogs.
    >
    > Anthony.

    thanks.. what is the "Default Web Site"? what is IIS Manger? (as I
    said, there's no read-me file or config instructions here..)
    since I have wrong port, hence can't view anything in a browser, I can't
    open any "web site"..

    in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot I see postinfo.html and _vit_inf.html, both of
    these contain nothing but this:

    The HTML comments in this page contain the configurationinformation that
    allows users to edit pages in your web using the Microsoft Web
    Publishing Wizard or programs which use the Microsoft Web Publishing
    Wizard such as FrontPad using the same username and password they would
    use if they were authoring with Microsoft FrontPage. Please refer to the
    Microsoft's Internet SDK for more information on the Web Publishing
    Wizard APIs.

    found some .asp's (localstart.asp, iistart.asp, both in wwwroot and in
    wwwroot\_vti_cnf), but can't access them thru browser b/c have to set
    proper port for that...;)

    does this server have to be "turned on" when you want to use it like you
    have to with Tomcat (sorry, am quite familiar with Tomcat, is only ref I
    have here.. to start Tomcat you run a batch file called startup.bat..)
    thanks..

    thank you...
    Frances, Apr 18, 2006
  4. "Frances" <> wrote in message
    > Anthony Jones wrote:
    > > "Frances" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I just installed IIS in my W2k machine.. have hardly ever done any asp..
    > >>first thing I need to know is how do you change the port once it's
    > >>intalled (since http://localhost is address for my Tomcat (JSP
    > >>server..)) I see no read-me or config instructions with this install.
    > >>Thank you..
    > >>

    > > Not really an ASP question but...
    > >
    > > Open the properties of the Default Web Site using IIS Manager
    > >
    > > Next to the IP Address click Advanced...
    > >
    > > (All Unassigned) | 80
    > >
    > > should already be highlighted click Edit...
    > >
    > > Change TCP Port to your chosen port number.
    > > OK out the dialogs.
    > >
    > > Anthony.

    > thanks.. what is the "Default Web Site"? what is IIS Manger? (as I
    > said, there's no read-me file or config instructions here..)
    > since I have wrong port, hence can't view anything in a browser, I can't
    > open any "web site"..
    >
    > in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot I see postinfo.html and _vit_inf.html, both of
    > these contain nothing but this:
    >
    > The HTML comments in this page contain the configurationinformation that
    > allows users to edit pages in your web using the Microsoft Web
    > Publishing Wizard or programs which use the Microsoft Web Publishing
    > Wizard such as FrontPad using the same username and password they would
    > use if they were authoring with Microsoft FrontPage. Please refer to the
    > Microsoft's Internet SDK for more information on the Web Publishing
    > Wizard APIs.
    >

    > found some .asp's (localstart.asp, iistart.asp, both in wwwroot and in
    > wwwroot\_vti_cnf), but can't access them thru browser b/c have to set
    > proper port for that...;)
    >
    > does this server have to be "turned on" when you want to use it like you
    > have to with Tomcat (sorry, am quite familiar with Tomcat, is only ref I
    > have here.. to start Tomcat you run a batch file called startup.bat..)
    > thanks..
    >
    > thank you...

    Start -> control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Services Manager

    Expand computer Tree

    Right mouse click on 'Default Web Site' select Properties...

    For further help try this:-

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iihtmat.htm
    Anthony Jones, Apr 18, 2006
  5. Frances

    Larry Bud Guest

    Frances wrote:
    > Anthony Jones wrote:
    > > "Frances" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I just installed IIS in my W2k machine.. have hardly ever done any asp..
    > >>first thing I need to know is how do you change the port once it's
    > >>intalled (since http://localhost is address for my Tomcat (JSP
    > >>server..)) I see no read-me or config instructions with this install.
    > >>Thank you..
    > >>

    > > Not really an ASP question but...
    > >
    > > Open the properties of the Default Web Site using IIS Manager
    > >
    > > Next to the IP Address click Advanced...
    > >
    > > (All Unassigned) | 80
    > >
    > > should already be highlighted click Edit...
    > >
    > > Change TCP Port to your chosen port number.
    > > OK out the dialogs.
    > >
    > > Anthony.

    > thanks.. what is the "Default Web Site"? what is IIS Manger? (as I
    > said, there's no read-me file or config instructions here..)
    > since I have wrong port, hence can't view anything in a browser, I can't
    > open any "web site"..
    >
    > in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot I see postinfo.html and _vit_inf.html, both of
    > these contain nothing but this:
    >
    > The HTML comments in this page contain the configurationinformation that
    > allows users to edit pages in your web using the Microsoft Web
    > Publishing Wizard or programs which use the Microsoft Web Publishing
    > Wizard such as FrontPad using the same username and password they would
    > use if they were authoring with Microsoft FrontPage. Please refer to the
    > Microsoft's Internet SDK for more information on the Web Publishing
    > Wizard APIs.
    >

    > found some .asp's (localstart.asp, iistart.asp, both in wwwroot and in
    > wwwroot\_vti_cnf), but can't access them thru browser b/c have to set
    > proper port for that...;)
    >
    > does this server have to be "turned on" when you want to use it like you
    > have to with Tomcat (sorry, am quite familiar with Tomcat, is only ref I
    > have here.. to start Tomcat you run a batch file called startup.bat..)
    > thanks..

    Programs | Administrative Tools | Internet Information Services = IIS

    It's the tool to let you let up all your physical and virtual sites,
    ports, security, everything related to your website.

    IIS is a service and is set up to start automatically when the box
    boots up.
    Larry Bud, Apr 18, 2006
  6. Frances

    Frances Guest

    Anthony Jones wrote:
    > "Frances" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Anthony Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Frances" <> wrote in message

    >>>Not really an ASP question but...
    >>>
    >>>Open the properties of the Default Web Site using IIS Manager
    >>>
    >>>Next to the IP Address click Advanced...
    >>>
    >>>(All Unassigned) | 80
    >>>
    >>>should already be highlighted click Edit...
    >>>
    >>>Change TCP Port to your chosen port number.
    >>>OK out the dialogs.
    >>>
    >>>Anthony.

    >>thanks.. what is the "Default Web Site"? what is IIS Manger? (as I
    >>said, there's no read-me file or config instructions here..)
    >>since I have wrong port, hence can't view anything in a browser, I can't
    >>open any "web site"..
    >>
    >>in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot I see postinfo.html and _vit_inf.html, both of
    >>these contain nothing but this:
    >>
    >>The HTML comments in this page contain the configurationinformation that
    >>allows users to edit pages in your web using the Microsoft Web
    >>Publishing Wizard or programs which use the Microsoft Web Publishing
    >>Wizard such as FrontPad using the same username and password they would
    >>use if they were authoring with Microsoft FrontPage. Please refer to the
    >>Microsoft's Internet SDK for more information on the Web Publishing
    >>Wizard APIs.
    >>

    >>found some .asp's (localstart.asp, iistart.asp, both in wwwroot and in
    >>wwwroot\_vti_cnf), but can't access them thru browser b/c have to set
    >>proper port for that...;)
    >>
    >>does this server have to be "turned on" when you want to use it like you
    >>have to with Tomcat (sorry, am quite familiar with Tomcat, is only ref I
    >>have here.. to start Tomcat you run a batch file called startup.bat..)
    >> thanks..
    >>
    >>thank you...

    > Start -> control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Services Manager
    >
    > Expand computer Tree
    >
    > Right mouse click on 'Default Web Site' select Properties...
    >

    > For further help try this:-
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iihtmat.htm

    gosh, this is confusing.. can't find 'Internet Services Manager' under
    Administrative Tools... :( looked under stuff that looked similar,
    like 'Computer Management', but couldn't find 'Default Web Site'
    anywhere.. I went to page you mention, but a search for 'port' came up
    empty.. ('search' feature searches entire MS site, not just iis stuff;
    and either way found nothing relating to setting port for IIS server..)

    thanks again...
    Frances, Apr 18, 2006
  7. Frances

    Frances Guest

    Frances wrote:
    > Anthony Jones wrote:
    >
    >> "Frances" <> wrote in message

    >>> thanks.. what is the "Default Web Site"? what is IIS Manger? (as I
    >>> said, there's no read-me file or config instructions here..)
    >>> since I have wrong port, hence can't view anything in a browser, I can't
    >>> open any "web site"..
    >>>
    >>> in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot I see postinfo.html and _vit_inf.html, both of
    >>> these contain nothing but this:
    >>>
    >>> The HTML comments in this page contain the configurationinformation that
    >>> allows users to edit pages in your web using the Microsoft Web
    >>> Publishing Wizard or programs which use the Microsoft Web Publishing
    >>> Wizard such as FrontPad using the same username and password they would
    >>> use if they were authoring with Microsoft FrontPage. Please refer to the
    >>> Microsoft's Internet SDK for more information on the Web Publishing
    >>> Wizard APIs.
    >>>

    >>> found some .asp's (localstart.asp, iistart.asp, both in wwwroot and in
    >>> wwwroot\_vti_cnf), but can't access them thru browser b/c have to set
    >>> proper port for that...;)
    >>>
    >>> does this server have to be "turned on" when you want to use it like you
    >>> have to with Tomcat (sorry, am quite familiar with Tomcat, is only ref I
    >>> have here.. to start Tomcat you run a batch file called startup.bat..)
    >>> thanks..
    >>>
    >>> thank you...

    >> Start -> control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Services
    >> Manager
    >>
    >> Expand computer Tree
    >>
    >> Right mouse click on 'Default Web Site' select Properties...
    >>

    >> For further help try this:-
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iihtmat.htm

    > gosh, this is confusing.. can't find 'Internet Services Manager' under
    > Administrative Tools... :( looked under stuff that looked similar,
    > like 'Computer Management', but couldn't find 'Default Web Site'
    > anywhere.. I went to page you mention, but a search for 'port' came up
    > empty.. ('search' feature searches entire MS site, not just iis stuff;
    > and either way found nothing relating to setting port for IIS server..)
    >
    > thanks again...

    this is at work, I also have an XP machnine, installed IIS in XP
    machine, found 'Internet Services Manager' no problem (don't have to
    change port for that one, though (for now) since don't have Tomcat in
    that machine..) am running my first little 'hello world' asp in XP
    machine w/no problems.. why can't I find 'Internet Services Manager'
    in Windows 2000 (exact version is Windows 2000 Professional) in XP was
    able to find 'Internet Services Manager' even before I installed IIS..

    thanks again..
    Frances, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Frances wrote:
    <please do some snipping, thanks>
    > this is at work, I also have an XP machnine, installed IIS in XP
    > machine, found 'Internet Services Manager' no problem (don't have to
    > change port for that one, though (for now) since don't have Tomcat in
    > that machine..) am running my first little 'hello world' asp in XP
    > machine w/no problems.. why can't I find 'Internet Services Manager'
    > in Windows 2000 (exact version is Windows 2000 Professional) in XP was
    > able to find 'Internet Services Manager' even before I installed IIS..

    Does this help?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iisnapin.htm

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 18, 2006
  9. Frances

    Frances Guest

    Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > Frances wrote:
    > <please do some snipping, thanks>
    >
    >>this is at work, I also have an XP machnine, installed IIS in XP
    >>machine, found 'Internet Services Manager' no problem (don't have to
    >>change port for that one, though (for now) since don't have Tomcat in
    >>that machine..) am running my first little 'hello world' asp in XP
    >>machine w/no problems.. why can't I find 'Internet Services Manager'
    >>in Windows 2000 (exact version is Windows 2000 Professional) in XP was
    >>able to find 'Internet Services Manager' even before I installed IIS..
    >>

    > Does this help?
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iisnapin.htm

    unfortunately not, for some very odd reason can't find 'Administrative
    Tools' under start -> Programs.. (if I run a search in c:\ for
    "Administrative Tools" I see it under Start Menu\Programs, but can't
    find it in start menu.. but either way I suspect I wouldn't find
    'Internet Services Manager' if I got to 'Administrative Tools' via this
    route either, they're the same thing (just like to change environmental
    vars you can either go to control panel -> system or my computer ->
    right-click -> properties.. they both take you to the same place..)

    (installed in XP also, managed to change port no problem.. running a
    'hello World' asp at http://localhost:8080/web/index.asp...)

    this is very frustrating.. I really need to make this work in Windows
    2000...

    thanks again..
    Frances, Apr 18, 2006
  10. Frances wrote:
    >> Does this help?
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iisnapin.htm
    >>

    > unfortunately not, for some very odd reason can't find 'Administrative
    > Tools' under start -> Programs.. (if I run a search in c:\ for
    > "Administrative Tools" I see it under Start Menu\Programs, but can't
    > find it in start menu.. but either way I suspect I wouldn't find
    > 'Internet Services Manager' if I got to 'Administrative Tools' via
    > this route either, they're the same thing (just like to change
    > environmental vars you can either go to control panel -> system or my
    > computer -> right-click -> properties.. they both take you to the
    > same place..)

    Darn! I was about to suggest going to Administrative Tools in the Control
    Panel.
    Try posting to the .inetserver.iis group.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 19, 2006
  11. Frances

    Frances Guest

    Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > Frances wrote:
    >
    >>>Does this help?
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iisnapin.htm
    >>>

    >>unfortunately not, for some very odd reason can't find 'Administrative
    >>Tools' under start -> Programs.. (if I run a search in c:\ for
    >>"Administrative Tools" I see it under Start Menu\Programs, but can't
    >>find it in start menu.. but either way I suspect I wouldn't find
    >>'Internet Services Manager' if I got to 'Administrative Tools' via
    >>this route either, they're the same thing (just like to change
    >>environmental vars you can either go to control panel -> system or my
    >>computer -> right-click -> properties.. they both take you to the
    >>same place..)

    > Darn! I was about to suggest going to Administrative Tools in the Control
    > Panel.
    > Try posting to the .inetserver.iis group.

    I got it to work at home.. where I have practically same machine as at
    work (Windows 2000 Professional..) don't get why don't see 'Internet
    Services Manager' in machine at work.. on machine at home was able to
    change port to 8080 with no problem, and can run both Tomcat and IIS at
    the same time no problem..

    (can you turn IIS on and off like you can Tomcat? what if you need to
    reboot the server? (I hope only way to reboot this server is not to
    restart machine..) many thanks again..
    Frances, Apr 19, 2006
  12. Frances

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:51:27 -0400, Frances <> wrote:

    >Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    >> Frances wrote:
    >> <please do some snipping, thanks>
    >>
    >>>this is at work, I also have an XP machnine, installed IIS in XP
    >>>machine, found 'Internet Services Manager' no problem (don't have to
    >>>change port for that one, though (for now) since don't have Tomcat in
    >>>that machine..) am running my first little 'hello world' asp in XP
    >>>machine w/no problems.. why can't I find 'Internet Services Manager'
    >>>in Windows 2000 (exact version is Windows 2000 Professional) in XP was
    >>>able to find 'Internet Services Manager' even before I installed IIS..
    >>>

    >> Does this help?
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iisnapin.htm
    >>

    >unfortunately not, for some very odd reason can't find 'Administrative
    >Tools' under start -> Programs.. (if I run a search in c:\ for
    >"Administrative Tools" I see it under Start Menu\Programs, but can't
    >find it in start menu.. but either way I suspect I wouldn't find
    >'Internet Services Manager' if I got to 'Administrative Tools' via this
    >route either, they're the same thing (just like to change environmental
    >vars you can either go to control panel -> system or my computer ->
    >right-click -> properties.. they both take you to the same place..)
    >
    >(installed in XP also, managed to change port no problem.. running a
    >'hello World' asp at http://localhost:8080/web/index.asp...)
    >
    >this is very frustrating.. I really need to make this work in Windows
    >2000...

    Does your IT department block admin access? Are you running as a
    local admin? Is IIS even installed?

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Apr 19, 2006
  13. Frances

    Frances Guest

    Jeff Cochran wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:51:27 -0400, Frances <> wrote:
    >

    >>Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>>Frances wrote:
    >>><please do some snipping, thanks>

    >>>Does this help?
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iisnapin.htm
    >>>

    >>unfortunately not, for some very odd reason can't find 'Administrative
    >>Tools' under start -> Programs.. (if I run a search in c:\ for
    >>"Administrative Tools" I see it under Start Menu\Programs, but can't
    >>find it in start menu.. but either way I suspect I wouldn't find
    >>'Internet Services Manager' if I got to 'Administrative Tools' via this
    >>route either, they're the same thing (just like to change environmental
    >>vars you can either go to control panel -> system or my computer ->
    >>right-click -> properties.. they both take you to the same place..)
    >>
    >>(installed in XP also, managed to change port no problem.. running a
    >>'hello World' asp at http://localhost:8080/web/index.asp...)
    >>
    >>this is very frustrating.. I really need to make this work in Windows
    >>2000...

    > Does your IT department block admin access?

    I don't think so... as mentioned above, was able to install IIS in XP
    machine with no problems.. this is also at work, same network, same
    permissions, etc..

    Are you running as a local admin? Is IIS even installed?

    oh yes, I see Inetpub folder in C drive and everything, just like XP
    machine (& machine at home) were was able to install it

    do you think fact that I can't find 'Internet Services Manager' in W2k
    machine at work might have to do with permissions, access? ok, again,
    many thanks.. will post in m.p.inetserver.iis as someone here suggested..

    Frances
    Frances, Apr 19, 2006
  14. Frances

    MikeR Guest

    What are the privileges of user installed IIS? Admin?
    Do you have the same privs?
    If you can find the shortcut using Windows Explorer, can you move or copy it to
    your username?

    Just a dot in the shark.....
    Mike
    MikeR, Apr 19, 2006
  15. Frances

    Frances Guest

    MikeR wrote:
    > What are the privileges of user installed IIS? Admin?
    > Do you have the same privs?
    > If you can find the shortcut using Windows Explorer, can you move or
    > copy it to your username?
    >
    > Just a dot in the shark.....
    > Mike

    thank you all very much for your replies.. I finally got it to work: I
    had to click 'details' for IIS and check "Internet Information Services
    Snap-In" which is very weird b/c at home, where I have exact same
    machine, I didn't have to do any of that.. so now running IIS on port
    8080 and can run Tomcat (on port 80) at the same time with no problems..

    many thanks again..
    Frances, Apr 20, 2006