  1. SomeOne

    SomeOne Guest

    Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?
    SomeOne, Sep 16, 2003

  2. SomeOne

    Guest

    >Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?

    I recommend 'Head First Java' (O'reilly).
    , Sep 16, 2003

  3. SomeOne

    Don Jvax Guest

    Dear SomeOne,

    "SomeOne" <> wrote in message
    > Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?

    I understand you're looking for a book for a beginner to Java. In this case,
    I will recommend (based on my own experience) 3 books depending on yur level
    of programming in general.
    1. If you're a beginner to programming and want to start with Java, then I
    recommend Deitel's "Java How to Program".
    2. If you're an intermediate programmer who wants to switch to Java and
    improve your programming skills, the I recommend Van Der LINDEN's "Just Java
    2".
    3. If you're an experienced programmer wanting to get up to speed with Java,
    then The Java Programming Language (and The Java Language Specification)
    might be a good choice.

    Good luck
    --
    jvax
    Don Jvax, Sep 16, 2003
  4. "Don Jvax" <> wrote in message
    > Dear SomeOne,
    >
    > "SomeOne" <> wrote in message
    > > Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?
    > >

    > I understand you're looking for a book for a beginner to Java. In this

    case,
    > I will recommend (based on my own experience) 3 books depending on yur

    level
    > of programming in general.
    > 1. If you're a beginner to programming and want to start with Java, then I
    > recommend Deitel's "Java How to Program".

    I can't quibble with the other recommendataions but I would avoid Dietel &
    Dietel for almost anybody. It is such a dense, over-edited book that it
    almost requires a teacher with it. To explain stuff. To skip stuff. To
    review students understanding. A book for elementary Java that starts right
    off with JOptionPanes (second sample program) and GUI's is very elementary.
    If you really want a beginner's text try Java, An Introduction to Computer
    Science & Programming by Walter Savitch. Or Ivor Horton's Java 2.
    --
    Gary
    Gary Labowitz, Sep 17, 2003
  5. SomeOne

    Todd Shillam Guest

    I'd recommend Herbert Schildt's book, Java 2: A Beginner's Guide, Second
    Edition (2003). It's has received quite a bit of praise on Amazon's Web
    site, and I have found it helpful as a beginner myself.

    Best regards,

    --
    Todd L. Shillam

    Todd Shillam, Sep 17, 2003
  6. "SomeOne" <> wrote in message
    > Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?

    Head First Java
    Deitel and Deitel
    Ivor Horton

    These seem to be the top three listed for complete beginners. Head First
    Java is the most fun, has good scope and covers issues like packaging and
    deployment as well. Deitel and Deitel is also good, though it's not as easy
    going and there's lots of padding (the fifth edition could usefully lose 100
    pages). Ivor Horton's book is good and if you like the Wrox style it's the
    one to go for.

    All of these have been reviewed in detail on TechBookReport
    (http://www.techbookreport).

    Bruce Eckel's Thinking in Java (also reviewed on TBR), is much more in depth
    and is unlikely to appeal to somebody who's never programmed before. If
    you're switching to Java from something else, however, then it's worth
    considering. It's also available online - so take a look.

    Finally, don't forget to look at the Sun Java tutorial.
    TechBookReport, Sep 17, 2003
  7. SomeOne

    SomeOne Guest

    Thanks ypu for all your information.
    I just found a very good web site
    http://chortle.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html
    may be it's too simple for experience personal but it's good for a Java
    beginner.

    SomeOne, Sep 19, 2003
  8. SomeOne

    Barry Burd Guest

    Can I recommend my own books? There's "Java 2 For Dummies" (for someone
    who's already programmed in another language) and "Beginning Programming
    with Java For Dummies" (for someone who's never programmed in another
    language). Good luck!

    Barry Burd, Sep 19, 2003
  9. "Gary Labowitz" <> sez:

    >"Don Jvax" <> wrote in message
    >> Dear SomeOne,
    >>
    >> "SomeOne" <> wrote in message
    >> > Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?
    >> >

    >> I understand you're looking for a book for a beginner to Java. In this

    >case,
    >> I will recommend (based on my own experience) 3 books depending on yur

    >level
    >> of programming in general.
    >> 1. If you're a beginner to programming and want to start with Java, then I
    >> recommend Deitel's "Java How to Program".

    >I can't quibble with the other recommendataions but I would avoid Dietel &
    >Dietel for almost anybody. It is such a dense, over-edited book that it
    >almost requires a teacher with it. To explain stuff. To skip stuff. To
    >review students understanding.

    I'd second that. Personally I think the Deitel book is to be avoided.
    There's no emphasis on OO programming. Without that, you are doomed.

    A very underrated, but excellent book imho is "Learning Java" from
    O'Reilly. Its not for raw beginners, but for programmers with some
    experience.

    Frank G.

    | Crossroads Technologies Inc. |
    | Enterprise Java Engineering |