Just looking for a Java Tutorial Book

ron

Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?

I recommend 'Head First Java' (O'reilly).

Don Jvax

Dear SomeOne,

SomeOne said:
Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?

I understand you're looking for a book for a beginner to Java. In this case,
I will recommend (based on my own experience) 3 books depending on yur level
of programming in general.
1. If you're a beginner to programming and want to start with Java, then I
recommend Deitel's "Java How to Program".
2. If you're an intermediate programmer who wants to switch to Java and
improve your programming skills, the I recommend Van Der LINDEN's "Just Java
2".
3. If you're an experienced programmer wanting to get up to speed with Java,
then The Java Programming Language (and The Java Language Specification)
might be a good choice.

Good luck

Gary Labowitz

Don Jvax said:
Dear SomeOne,

I understand you're looking for a book for a beginner to Java. In this case,
I will recommend (based on my own experience) 3 books depending on yur level
of programming in general.
1. If you're a beginner to programming and want to start with Java, then I
recommend Deitel's "Java How to Program".

I can't quibble with the other recommendataions but I would avoid Dietel &
Dietel for almost anybody. It is such a dense, over-edited book that it
almost requires a teacher with it. To explain stuff. To skip stuff. To
review students understanding. A book for elementary Java that starts right
off with JOptionPanes (second sample program) and GUI's is very elementary.
If you really want a beginner's text try Java, An Introduction to Computer
Science & Programming by Walter Savitch. Or Ivor Horton's Java 2.

Todd Shillam

I'd recommend Herbert Schildt's book, Java 2: A Beginner's Guide, Second
Edition (2003). It's has received quite a bit of praise on Amazon's Web
site, and I have found it helpful as a beginner myself.

Best regards,

--
Todd L. Shillam

Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?

I recommend 'Head First Java' (O'reilly).

TechBookReport

SomeOne said:
Who can recommend a Java Tutorial book for a beginner?
Head First Java
Deitel and Deitel
Ivor Horton

These seem to be the top three listed for complete beginners. Head First
Java is the most fun, has good scope and covers issues like packaging and
deployment as well. Deitel and Deitel is also good, though it's not as easy
going and there's lots of padding (the fifth edition could usefully lose 100
pages). Ivor Horton's book is good and if you like the Wrox style it's the
one to go for.

All of these have been reviewed in detail on TechBookReport
(http://www.techbookreport).

Bruce Eckel's Thinking in Java (also reviewed on TBR), is much more in depth
and is unlikely to appeal to somebody who's never programmed before. If
you're switching to Java from something else, however, then it's worth
considering. It's also available online - so take a look.

Finally, don't forget to look at the Sun Java tutorial.

Barry Burd

Can I recommend my own books? There's "Java 2 For Dummies" (for someone
who's already programmed in another language) and "Beginning Programming
with Java For Dummies" (for someone who's never programmed in another
language). Good luck!

Frank D. Greco

Gary Labowitz said:
I can't quibble with the other recommendataions but I would avoid Dietel &
Dietel for almost anybody. It is such a dense, over-edited book that it
almost requires a teacher with it. To explain stuff. To skip stuff. To
review students understanding.

I'd second that. Personally I think the Deitel book is to be avoided.
There's no emphasis on OO programming. Without that, you are doomed.

A very underrated, but excellent book imho is "Learning Java" from
O'Reilly. Its not for raw beginners, but for programmers with some
experience.

Frank G.

| Crossroads Technologies Inc. |
| Enterprise Java Engineering |