    is to be a game programmer. Kindly answer to my above two queries as
    they are of utmost importance to me.

    Thank you in advance!

    MC felon, Apr 27, 2007

  2. MC felon

    Mark Guest

    On Apr 26, 9:23 pm, MC felon <> wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I've just about learnt object oriented programming, operation of
    > pointers, dereferencing of the same, functions and all other basic
    > manipulations. Now, recently, i made the big leap to the GNU compiler.
    > I have code::blocks as well as Dev c++ 5 beta. As a beginner, which
    > IDE is better off?
    > Also, could you kindly help me know my path ahead? i want to know what
    > i should start learning now (OpenGL or win32 or directx Or MAYBE EVEN
    > THE BASICS, if you think i'm not adequately equipped). My ultimate aim
    > is to be a game programmer. Kindly answer to my above two queries as
    > they are of utmost importance to me.
    >
    > Thank you in advance!

    Hi.
    I've been making 2D games for awhile now. I use bloodshed.net's Dev-C+
    + with SDL (http://libsdl.org/).
    I'm not sure what's "best" but SDL is pretty easy to learn, and it
    works pretty well. There's lots of other libraries that work nicely
    with it too, for sound and writing ttf fonts, and loading various
    image formats (SDL_image). You can download SDL and a bunch of other
    libraries in Dev-C++ by clicking Tools > Check for Updates/Packages.
    However, I'm considering making a switch to netbeans IDE because I
    find that Dev-C++ sucks at formatting code, and has issues with my
    dual monitor set up. netbeans has some other nice features too... not
    sure how well it will work though.

    Mark, Apr 27, 2007

  3. On 27 Apr, 06:23, MC felon <> wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I've just about learnt object oriented programming, operation of
    > pointers, dereferencing of the same, functions and all other basic
    > manipulations. Now, recently, i made the big leap to the GNU compiler.
    > I have code::blocks as well as Dev c++ 5 beta. As a beginner, which
    > IDE is better off?

    Depends on which platform, if you are using Windows I would personally
    recommend Visual C++ 2005 Express (download for free from MS) but
    others will have different preferences, it's also partly about which
    compiler you want to use, if you go the VS you'll get the MS one, if
    you want to use gcc there are some other alternatives.

    > Also, could you kindly help me know my path ahead? i want to know what
    > i should start learning now (OpenGL or win32 or directx Or MAYBE EVEN
    > THE BASICS, if you think i'm not adequately equipped). My ultimate aim
    > is to be a game programmer. Kindly answer to my above two queries as
    > they are of utmost importance to me.

    The basics, if you've just learned OO then you still have a lot to
    learn. For the basics this groups is a great place to ask questions,
    see also alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++. For other, platform specific or
    library specific questions you should find a group dedicated to that
    topic.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Apr 27, 2007
  4. MC felon

    Zeppe Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I've been making 2D games for awhile now. I use bloodshed.net's Dev-C+
    > + with SDL (http://libsdl.org/).

    Dev C++ is dead. Code::blocks is the new DevC++, is very mantained, has
    got newer compiler, more options, it's portable, and it's definitely the
    best choice. The difference with dev are not that much in the compiler
    behaviour, if you use gcc as compiler.

    Visual C++ Express Edition is the better choice under windows, but you
    can have some problem with GPL libraries usually made primarly for gcc
    that can be tricky to install.

    for code::blocks:
    http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Using_SDL_with_Code::Blocks

    Anyway, to the OP, I don't know how skilled are you with the basics, but
    if you already know something just try out to start with some basics on
    computer programming if you like it. It's always important to apply the
    things we learn to real and funny stuff, we learn them better ;)

    Just don't hesitate to come back to the basics if you realize that you
    are not skilled enough on something.

    Regards,

    Zeppe

    Zeppe, Apr 27, 2007
  5. MC felon

    MC felon Guest

    > The basics, if you've just learned OO then you still have a lot to
    > learn. For the basics this groups is a great place to ask questions,
    > see also alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++. For other, platform specific or
    > library specific questions you should find a group dedicated to that
    > topic.
    >
    > --
    > Erik Wikström

    Hey Erik.
    I know i have a long-----------------------------------------way to go
    to reach even a small standard. But my problem is, i have absolutely
    no exposure where i am from, and i need to know what i should do next.
    When you started learning c++, after learning OO, what did you launch
    yourself onto next? I need to know what i need to start on next (and
    boy! am i eager to learn it).

    MC felon, Apr 28, 2007
  6. On 2007-04-28 06:33, MC felon wrote:
    >> The basics, if you've just learned OO then you still have a lot to
    >> learn. For the basics this groups is a great place to ask questions,
    >> see also alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++. For other, platform specific or
    >> library specific questions you should find a group dedicated to that
    >> topic.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Erik Wikström

    > Hey Erik.
    > I know i have a long-----------------------------------------way to go
    > to reach even a small standard. But my problem is, i have absolutely
    > no exposure where i am from, and i need to know what i should do next.
    > When you started learning c++, after learning OO, what did you launch
    > yourself onto next? I need to know what i need to start on next (and
    > boy! am i eager to learn it).

    Did you use a book when learning C++, and if so have you done the
    exercises in the book? It might not be much fun but they are designed so
    that you should learn the different concepts in C++.

    Personally the first real programs I wrote in C++ were part of a course
    I was taking at university, they were a set of programs to calculate
    code metrics and to perform various statistical calculation based on
    those metrics.

    What's important is that you write actual code, preferable for a non-
    trivial project which will let you exercise your designing skills too.
    The problem with writing a game is that you easily get side-tracked from
    the programming aspects, there are so much more that must be done
    (graphics, sound, gameplay, etc.). So start out with some other kinds of
    projects until you feel you've got a good grip on the language, then
    start with small games and move upwards.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Apr 28, 2007
  7. MC felon

    Mark Guest

    On Apr 27, 1:35 am, Zeppe
    <> wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    > > Hi.
    > > I've been making 2D games for awhile now. I use bloodshed.net's Dev-C+
    > > + with SDL (http://libsdl.org/).

    > Dev C++ is dead. Code::blocks is the new DevC++, is very mantained, has
    > got newer compiler, more options, it's portable, and it's definitely the
    > best choice. The difference with dev are not that much in the compiler
    > behaviour, if you use gcc as compiler.
    >
    > Visual C++ Express Edition is the better choice under windows, but you
    > can have some problem with GPL libraries usually made primarly for gcc
    > that can be tricky to install.
    >
    > for code::blocks:http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Using_SDL_with_Code::Blocks
    >
    > Anyway, to the OP, I don't know how skilled are you with the basics, but
    > if you already know something just try out to start with some basics on
    > computer programming if you like it. It's always important to apply the
    > things we learn to real and funny stuff, we learn them better ;)
    >
    > Just don't hesitate to come back to the basics if you realize that you
    > are not skilled enough on something.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Zeppe

    Does Code::Blocks support SVN?
    I just got SDL and C++ (cygwin) working with NetBeans. Does
    Code::Blocks have any advantages over NetBeans?

    Mark, May 1, 2007