Just wasted $60 on Borland

Mabden

JKop said:
Julie posted:

Aren't welcomed by whom... ?

Where are you going with your exaggerations about "the world wouldn't be"...
where's the hunter-gatherer inside you?!

There's a saying in every language...

Irish: Is iomaí duine ag Dia.

English: It takes all sorts to make a world.

Sigh. Are you all twelve. Does anyone remember the Jerusalem (sp?)
virus? Has anyone heard of the little place they call "not USA"?
Copyright is only a modren USA invention, and maybe G7 construct. There
are plenty of places in the World where there are no laws about copying
Intellectual Property. In those coutries, you are not immoral or illegal
by copying software, books, devices, etc.
For those not familiar with the "First Virus" created in Jeruselem (new
sp?) it was created by hackers who ran a computer software store that
sold Microsoft products in Israel (guess which city). They bought one
copy and made their own copies and documentation (not illegal in
Israel). When the owner realized that his biggest customers were people
taking the product back to America (where it was illegal) he decided to
punish those people and added his virus. The virus detected USA versions
of Windows and did something bad - I don't remember what.

Of course, I may be completely wrong, as I am using only my memory of
the situation at the time. Perhaps I am spreading urban legend, but that
was the story I heard.

Mabden

Default User said:
Hence the remark about my age. The one from my youth is now a shopping
center.

I believe the implied comment is that they went out of business due to
you sneaking in your friends.

I remember a policy of paying by the carload at a local drive-in. This
was near the end, of course.

I liked drive-ins! You can do what you want, bring in beer, food etc.
Make out if the company is willing...

I hated drive-ins! You can't go see a dark movie in them - you can never
see anything. I saw Batman at a drive in and I never saw anything - it
was all at night with a guy in a black suit!

I miss drive-ins! Why, oh why did they go away! When I'm a millionaire
I'll open up a drive-in and run it until all the money is gone!

Mabden

JKop said:
The concept of "amoral" is subjective. My concept of it is obviously
different from yours. For instance, here's a little look at my personality:

While I wouldn't consider robbing a bank to be amoral, still, if after
robbing the bank, the robber got out and hopped into the get-away car, but
then when he/she was about to pull off, if there was a pregnant mother and a
small child crossing the road, and the robber just accelerated and crashed
straight into and through them and keep going, then I myself would think
that is "amoral".

I am comforted that you agree that murder is a Bad Thing. You are not
hopeless.
Other people here may think that robbing a bank is amoral.

Once you have something in the bank, you may find you do too. You may
find your values change as you "buy into the system". People who own
things they bought with money they earned through hard work and
planning, like homeowners and families with children in school, trying
to make it work and buy shoes for their kids; they tend to "buy into the
system". 17 year old boys, living at home, getting food and toys for
free, working 10 hours a week to afford gas and pizza don't count.

Others may think that crashing into the pregnant mother and the small child
is not all amoral.

I find that hard to believe.
It's a fundamental part of one's personality.

One that changes when one starts to own the things you are stealing.
Sorry, but it's just a phase you are going through. I know you can't
believe that now, but you will see it when you achieve 35 years.

I myself would rob the bank, but I wouldn't crash into the pedestrians on
the way out.

I don't actually believe that. I think if you were speeding down the
street after a bank robbery and the sirens were coming up, that you
would hit any "idiot" who walked into your path. You would, at that
point, change your crime from robbery to murder. But I have no doubt you
would not be thinking that far ahead - nor would you believe YOU could
be caught. The prisons are overflowing; do you think they thought they'd
be there? No, not one.

Mabden

Julie said:
So, in your mind, if no one knows about something, then it is justified and
legitimate?

Have fun in the after-life w/ that attitude.

"The after-life"? After life is the decay of the body and the T-cells
stop fighting the continuous attacks of bacteria. The body decays and
becomes worm food. I don't see how that can be fun, or how that will
affect his actual crimes during the time he is alive - you know, during
the part when he can think and do things...

Am I missing something here?

Mabden

Old Wolf said:
I thought this question was meant to be an illustration of
a principle in quantum physics. During the fall there was
a linear superposition of disturbance-caused and no-disturbance-
caused , which was not resolved by an observation, and could
even still exist. So it is not correct to say that there
was or was not a sound.

I take it as an observation issue. Is the sound the waves in the air,
which fade over distance or does sound require an eardrum that bumps
because the waves hit it, and then a brain interprets the bumping as a
noise.

What color are x-rays?

Julie

Mabden said:
"The after-life"? After life is the decay of the body and the T-cells
stop fighting the continuous attacks of bacteria. The body decays and
becomes worm food. I don't see how that can be fun, or how that will
affect his actual crimes during the time he is alive - you know, during
the part when he can think and do things...

Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are.

Here, do this: in a hundred years, look me up and tell me that you were
wrong. I'll be waiting.

Tom Seim

Mike Wahler said:
1) Borland (and virtually every other major software vendor)
has a policy of 'money back guarantee'. Have you approached
them (sans the abusive language), told them you are dissatisfied
and asked for a refund? Somehow I doubt it.

The economics are such that processing a refund will cost more than
the product itself. So, Boorland gets away with it.
2) Borland offers a full C++ compiler for free on their
web site. I have a copy, and it works very well (however
I did follow their intructions for installation and usage).

I have tried this, too, and it isn't useable
3) Many other compilers are also available for free. See the
FAQ.

4) It is a poor workman who blames his tools.

Whatever. Sounds like a salesman. Could say "Its a poor toolmaker that
blames his workmen".

Mike Smith

JKop said:
At the end of the day, the laws of physics govern all! If they want to do
something about me, they'll have to do something physical!

I hope they do. Sooner, rather than later.