JVM hanging on Solaris

cpprogrammer

I am running Mozilla with Sun JVM 1.5.0_6 on Solaris.

After I run my applet on the browser & close the browser, ps -ef shows
me java_vm as a running process - why is java_vm not closed with the
browser.

Many a times, when I restart my browser it hangs.

Only after killing java_vm & all mozilla processes, can I get the browser
working properly again.

sparshmaster

yes but the hypotoneuse of a + the tangent of b cannot = c beause it is
not at a right angle however if you see the visceral frantant then you
may be able to defvise a theorum. this qould however be very hard as
this theorum would contradict the pythagorus therum and the theory of
quantum phisics.

Ike

Applets BARELY work on Solaris.

It is frought with problems. Though I hate, I mean HATE to say it, applets,
ultimately, are NOT platform independent. Run them on Windows. I hate
windows, but it works. -Ike

Roedy Green

Applets BARELY work on Solaris.

It is frought with problems. Though I hate, I mean HATE to say it, applets,
ultimately, are NOT platform independent. Run them on Windows. I hate
windows, but it works. -Ike

I have not used Solaris except for an hour or so at Java One so I
can't comment on how well its Applets work.

If they don't, put the blame on the Solaris browser not on Applets.
There is nothing wrong with the design of Applets per se making them
unable to work on all platforms.

That is like blaming CSS for IE's bugs.

Ike

Roedy,

I wish I COULD agree with you. However, there are numerous issues with
Applets under Solars, as can be attested to by the bug parade on it at
Sun(!)

For one thing, if I open a browser (mozilla) on a SunRay thin client, load
up an applet into the browser, close the broswer, then, repeat that, I can
no longer set the focus on any text boxes and type in them.

Having the Sun tech person there didn't resolve the issue either.

How about trying to set the screen resolution DOWN on Solaris, with a
browswer window, so that people who have a hard time seeing can now see the
screen. That;s a stunt someone out to duplicate.

I can go on and on about it. Short answer anymore, is I tell my clients to
RUN XP! I HATE MS -- but their stuff actually works as advertised -- Solaris
is another .nix mess. -Ike

Roedy Green

Roedy,

I wish I COULD agree with you.

I have not used Solaris so I can't disagree with you on whether
Applets work there or not. However, all I am saying is if they don't
work, blame the Sun browser implementation, not the Applet mechanism
in general.

Ike

Oh I agree -- The applet mechanism is fine I am sure. What is SO frustrating
is that the very people who spawned Java, and the Applet class, cannot get
it to work properly on their own licensed OS -- while MS can. -Ike