    I found this list of JVM options, I thought some other folks might be
    interested.

    <http://blogs.sun.com/watt/resource/jvm-options-list.html>

    markspace, Aug 13, 2009

  2. markspace

    Lew Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > I found this list of JVM options, I thought some other folks might be
    > interested.
    >
    > <http://blogs.sun.com/watt/resource/jvm-options-list.html>

    It's not quite all the way up to date. Two recently-introduced favorites are
    "-XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis" and "-XX:+UseCompressedOops", not yet listed at the
    above link. Nevertheless a very useful site.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 13, 2009

  3. markspace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:19:55 -0400, Lew <> wrote,

    >It's not quite all the way up to date. Two recently-introduced favorites are
    >"-XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis" and "-XX:+UseCompressedOops", not yet listed at the
    >above link. Nevertheless a very useful site.

    I was puzzled about UseCompressedOops, and googled to discover it is
    only part of the "performance release". It is not documented on the
    usual page:

    file://localhost/J:/Program%20Files/java/jdk1.6.0_16/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html

    How did you stumble on this, and how does one get a "performance
    release"?.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    ~ Red Adair (born: 1915-06-18 died: 2004-08-07 at age: 89)

    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2009
  4. markspace

    markspace Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:

    > How did you stumble on this, and how does one get a "performance
    > release"?.

    It looks like a performance release is a regular release of Java, just
    with no new features. It only contains things to improve performance.

    http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/performance.jsp

    Performance releases are rolled up into the next feature release, iiuc.

    markspace, Aug 13, 2009
  5. markspace

    Lew Guest

    On Aug 13, 10:08 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:19:55 -0400, Lew <> wrote,
    >

    > >It's not quite all the way up to date.  Two recently-introduced favorites are
    > >"-XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis" and "-XX:+UseCompressedOops", not yet listed at the
    > >above link.  Nevertheless a very useful site.

    > I was puzzled about UseCompressedOops, and googled to discover it is
    > only part of the "performance release".  It is not documented on the
    > usual page:
    >
    > file://localhost/J:/Program%20Files/java/jdk1.6.0_16/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html
    >
    > How did you stumble on this, and how does one get a "performance
    > release"?.

    I stumbled upon it by doin a regular Java upgrade with the next 0_xx
    version came out; I believe it was 1.6.0_14. I found out about the
    options by reading the release notes, strangely enough.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 13, 2009
  6. markspace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:32:00 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>

    >I stumbled upon it by doin a regular Java upgrade with the next 0_xx
    >version came out; I believe it was 1.6.0_14. I found out about the
    >options by reading the release notes, strangely enough.

    I found it at http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u14.html
    It was documented in those _14 release notes, but I can't find any
    mention of it in the latest JDK.

    Anyway, I have added them both to the list at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html

    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2009