JVM thread stack (out of memory)

Chenxi

Hi everyone,

I am trying to run 10,000 threads on my machine, and the JVM reported
thread stack out of memory. It is obvious that I have created too many
threads (well, 2000 threads is fine, but not 10,000). I've tried to
increase JVM memory allocation.

java -Xms300m -Xmx300m -Xss4000k

but still cannot create more threads, also i found that -Xss option
didnt help, can anyone help?

Chenxi

Chris Uppal

Chenxi said:
I am trying to run 10,000 threads on my machine

Unless you are using a machine with (at least) hundreds of CPUs, or are using a
JVM with an implementation that is specifically designed for /very/ lightweight
threads, nether of which is at all likely I think, then that is /far/ too many
threads.

-- chris

Thomas Hawtin

Chenxi said:
but still cannot create more threads, also i found that -Xss option
didnt help, can anyone help?

Isn't -Xss the size of each stack? In order not to run out of address
space, you should set it as low as possible.

Tom Hawtin