    ...and confirm it crashes for them as well?
    (there is an 11K screenshot of my results..)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Andrew Thompson

    Hemal Pandya Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > There was a possible problem raised on
    > this thread at the Sun JWS forum..
    > <http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9401753>
    > ..in relation to JWS 1.6 handling of signed .zip files.
    >
    > 'JWS 1.6 does not accept signed .zip files'
    >
    > Can anybody confirm that earlier JWS would check
    > and handle signed .zip files like it does for jars?

    If I download the jnlp file and change j2se version to 1.5 then it
    gives security warning. More information says the security certificate
    has not expired and is still valid. Clicking on Run starts the
    application and it apparently runs as expected.

    > Also, anybody else willing to point their browser
    > at that .JNLP listed, here ...
    > <http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/>
    > ..and confirm it crashes for them as well?
    > (there is an 11K screenshot of my results..)

    I get similar result. First a pop-up that says Requesting JRE 1.6 from
    java.sun.com and then another pop-up that says Unable to launch Audio
    Trace 1.0.

    I do not have Java 1.6 installed.

    Hemal Pandya, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > 'JWS 1.6 does not accept signed .zip files'

    You could have actually done what you suggested and searched for a bug.

    "support for signed zip file with plug-in applets"

    (That is for the Plug-in, but there is some shared code.)

    And, yes I get the same thing on Solaris.

    Tom Hawtin

    Thomas Hawtin, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Thomas Hawtin wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > >
    > > 'JWS 1.6 does not accept signed .zip files'

    > You could have actually done what you suggested and searched for a bug.

    My bad!

    > "support for signed zip file with plug-in applets"
    > http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6472102

    Yes. That pretty much sums up the results we are
    seeing, and confirms that handling of Zip files is
    different for 1.5 and 1.6/6.0.

    However, although it is currently listed as an
    'In progress, bug' - I find this comment confusing..
    "Evaluation: in 6.0, we will only read certficiates
    for JAR files."

    That *almost* implies to me 'we changed our minds,
    and tightened the spec. without telling anyone - it will
    stay that way - but we might document it somewhere'
    (perhaps I read it wrong..)

    Do you read that bug report as meaning that Sun
    intends to change the behaviour of the 6.0 Plug-In
    to again support signed Zip files?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Thomas Hawtin wrote:
    >> Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>> 'JWS 1.6 does not accept signed .zip files'

    >> You could have actually done what you suggested and searched for a bug.

    > My bad!
    >
    >> "support for signed zip file with plug-in applets"
    >> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6472102

    > Yes. That pretty much sums up the results we are
    > seeing, and confirms that handling of Zip files is
    > different for 1.5 and 1.6/6.0.
    >
    > However, although it is currently listed as an
    > 'In progress, bug' - I find this comment confusing..
    > "Evaluation: in 6.0, we will only read certficiates
    > for JAR files."
    >
    > That *almost* implies to me 'we changed our minds,
    > and tightened the spec. without telling anyone - it will
    > stay that way - but we might document it somewhere'
    > (perhaps I read it wrong..)
    >
    > Do you read that bug report as meaning that Sun
    > intends to change the behaviour of the 6.0 Plug-In
    > to again support signed Zip files?
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Andrew:

    Here is the exception if that helps any.

    JNLPException[category: System Configuration : Exception: null :
    LaunchDesc:
    <jnlp spec="1.0" codebase="http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/"
    href="http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/audiotrace.jnlp">
    <information>
    <title>Audio Trace 1.0</title>
    <vendor>Andrew Thompson</vendor>
    <homepage href="http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/audiotrace.html"/>
    <description kind="one-line">Audio Trace - oscilloscope style sound
    trace application.</description>
    <description kind="tooltip">Audio Trace</description>
    <icon
    href="http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/audiotrace-64x64.gif"
    height="64" width="64" kind="default"/>
    <icon
    href="http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/audiotrace-32x32.gif"
    height="32" width="32" kind="default"/>
    <shortcut online="false">
    <desktop/>
    <menu submenu="PhySci"/>
    </shortcut>
    <offline-allowed/>
    </information>
    <security>
    <all-permissions/>
    </security>
    <update check="timeout" policy="always"/>
    <resources>
    <java href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se" version="1.6"/>
    <jar href="http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/audiotrace.zip"
    download="eager" main="true"/>
    </resources>
    <application-desc main-class="org.physci.sound.AudioTrace"/>
    </jnlp> ]
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.downloadJREResource(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Knute Johnson wrote:
    > <java href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se" version="1.6"/>

    > </jnlp> ]
    > at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.downloadJREResource(Unknown Source)

    Sorry. I think that error is something else again, caused
    by a stupid mistake on my part. The JNLP was directly
    changed from 1.4 to 1.6, and I did not bother to check
    the autoinstaller for 1.6 was available.

    It seems your system is either 1.5, or 1.5 JWS is not
    locating the 1.6 JRE? Are either of those things possible?
    (both versions should be listed in the console).

    Are you using 1.6 on that box yet?

    In any case, the exception I am getting (from 1.6 JWS) is..

    at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResourcesHelper(Unknown
    Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResources(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    The message delivered to the console (copy/pasted) is..

    #### Java Web Start Error:
    #### Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system
    Unsigned resource: http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/audiotrace.zip

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Thomas Hawtin wrote:
    >> Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >> "support for signed zip file with plug-in applets"
    >> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6472102

    > Yes. That pretty much sums up the results we are
    > seeing, and confirms that handling of Zip files is
    > different for 1.5 and 1.6/6.0.
    >
    > However, although it is currently listed as an
    > 'In progress, bug' - I find this comment confusing..
    > "Evaluation: in 6.0, we will only read certficiates
    > for JAR files."
    >
    > That *almost* implies to me 'we changed our minds,
    > and tightened the spec. without telling anyone - it will
    > stay that way - but we might document it somewhere'
    > (perhaps I read it wrong..)

    The bug description field implies that the spec has not changed, but
    that the implementation is tighter.

    I think the wording implies that the bug/RFE was found too late to get
    into the first release of 1.6.

    > Do you read that bug report as meaning that Sun
    > intends to change the behaviour of the 6.0 Plug-In
    > to again support signed Zip files?

    I wouldn't be surprised to see, say, update 3 supporting signed zips
    again. The only reasons I can see against doing so are firewall policies
    that some companies may have, but that's pushing it.

    Tom Hawtin

    Thomas Hawtin, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > 'JWS 1.6 does not accept signed .zip files'

    Thanks to Hemal, Thomas and Knute for the
    test results.

    This thread has been effectively resolved by
    the bug report linked in Thomas' first reply.
    It is a known bug.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2006
  9. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Knute Johnson wrote:
    >> <java href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se" version="1.6"/>

    >> </jnlp> ]
    >> at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.downloadJREResource(Unknown Source)

    > Sorry. I think that error is something else again, caused
    > by a stupid mistake on my part. The JNLP was directly
    > changed from 1.4 to 1.6, and I did not bother to check
    > the autoinstaller for 1.6 was available.
    >
    > It seems your system is either 1.5, or 1.5 JWS is not
    > locating the 1.6 JRE? Are either of those things possible?
    > (both versions should be listed in the console).
    >
    > Are you using 1.6 on that box yet?
    >
    > In any case, the exception I am getting (from 1.6 JWS) is..
    >
    > at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResourcesHelper(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResources(Unknown Source)
    > at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
    > at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
    > at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
    > at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
    > at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
    > at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
    > at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    >
    > The message delivered to the console (copy/pasted) is..
    >
    > #### Java Web Start Error:
    > #### Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system
    > Unsigned resource: http://www.physci.org/test/jws/zip/audiotrace.zip
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Andrew:

    I am using Sun's 1.6 JDK. The box is WinXP SP2.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Dec 19, 2006