JWS app does not update.

aaronfude

Hi,

I'm familiar with the rules for JWS automatics updates, but my machine
doesn't seem to follow those rules and the application is frequently
stale (even when redeployed off the web).

What could be the cause of this?
For example, does one need to restart one's browser?
Restart one's computer?
Clear out temporary files?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Andrew Thompson

Hi,

I'm familiar with the rules for JWS automatics updates, but my machine
doesn't seem to follow those rules and the application is frequently
stale (even when redeployed off the web).

There are any number of reasons a JWS app.
might not update as you might expect.

Some of them are in the Java Plug-In configuration,
others in the JNLP*, still others dependant on network
availability (JWS will only ever wait 'so long' before
abandoning a server check and using cached
resources)
What could be the cause of this?

See the JWS Plug-In config., *post the URL
to your JNLP, ..and check the network connection
and server speed..
For example, does one need to restart one's browser?
No.

Restart one's computer?
No.

Clear out temporary files?

Yes. But only when done ..
- From the Java control panel (not the browser's cache)
- Using the JWS (command line) -uninstall parameter.

Now - since I've provided (some) help on your JWS
matter, I could use some help (at least test results)
on mine. Details here..
<http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=785224&tstart=0>

Andrew T.

John Maline

I'm familiar with the rules for JWS automatics updates, but my machine
doesn't seem to follow those rules and the application is frequently
stale (even when redeployed off the web).

We had problems with Java WebStart refreshing when using the
offline-allowed element in our JNLP file. It appeared that that
configuration caused the version check to time out excessively quickly.
If that check doesn't complete, JWS assumed we were up-to-date.

If you use offline-allowed, run an experiment without it. Of course,
your currently deployed app will have offline-allowed, and may not
update to the new version lacking offline-allowed. That's a bootstrap
problem that I'll leave as an exercise for the reader...

Now if you actually want offline-allowed, then it's just an artificial
test to see if that's your problem.

Post back if that helps.

Regards,
John

Oliver Wong

Andrew Thompson said:
I could use some help (at least test results)
on mine. Details here..
<http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=785224&tstart=0>

Using Java 1.6.0-beta2 on WinXP.

If I double click on a sss file, I get asked whether I want to let your
app have read access. If I say yes, the app does not actually open the sss
file I double clicked on, but rather, it presents a file open dialog. If I
select the file and open it, the program continues loading normally. If
instead, I click cancel, the program is frozen, and click on the X in the
top right corner does not quite the program. I have to kill the process from
the OS.

Either way, the same problem happens on my system as you've described:
The "Don't ask me again" checkbox doesn't seem to do anything. I'm always
asked whether I want to allow read access.

- Oliver

Andrew Thompson

Oliver said:
Using Java 1.6.0-beta2 on WinXP.

If I double click on a sss file, I get asked whether I want to let your
app have read access. If I say yes, the app does not actually open the sss
file I double clicked on, but rather, it presents a file open dialog.

That is non-optimal but expected. The only way to access
a File(Contents) in sandboxed JWS is via the FileOpenService,
which introuduces the unnecessary dialog.

Even worse, on my system (Winx XP Pro with Java 1.5.0_09)
none of the file names I suggest appear in the file save service,
the 'I understand these extensios' suggestions are largely ignored,
and while the specific file I am interested in might appear in the
dialog, but is never selected..)
...If I
select the file and open it, the program continues loading normally. If
instead, I click cancel, the program is frozen, and click on the X in the
top right corner does not quite the program.

My bad. I'll need to fix that in very next version.
...I have to kill the process from
the OS.

Either way, the same problem happens on my system as you've described:
The "Don't ask me again" checkbox doesn't seem to do anything. I'm always
asked whether I want to allow read access.

:-( Thanks..

Andrew T.