JWS newbie security question

aaronfude

Hi,

Trying to deploy my java application on the intranet via JWS for the
very first time. All of my jars are unsigned and I get an error
(described below). I though that the user was supposed to decide
whether or not to allow access. So why do I get an error instead?

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: Yadda Yadda
Vendor: IT Department
Category: Security Error

Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system
Unsigned resource: http://localhost/infoflow/infoflow.jar

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Rohit Kumbhar

Hi,

Trying to deploy my java application on the intranet via JWS for the
very first time. All of my jars are unsigned and I get an error
(described below). I though that the user was supposed to decide
whether or not to allow access. So why do I get an error instead?

This will also depend on the settings on the client machine. The option
of allowing user to grant permission to unauthorised content should be
checked.

Rohit

aaronfude

Rohit said:
This will also depend on the settings on the client machine. The option
of allowing user to grant permission to unauthorised content should be
checked.

Rohit

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It is checked. Anywhere else I can look?

Thanks

Aaron Fude

Andrew Thompson

Does the JNLP request 'all permissions'?

I had not heard that a client based permission/setting could
override the security normally associated with *JWS* (though
I am not saying it is not possible).

OTOH, you should be successful if you sign the Jar files,
even with a 'self generated'* certificate.

* I forget the exact term. One you make yourself, that is
not 'verified' by verisign or such. Alternately you might look
into the 'freemail' certificate they offer.

Andrew T.