    Does anyone know what the behavior is in such cases?

    Thanks

    Lionel.
    Lionel van den Berg, May 11, 2008

  2. On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:02:44 +1100, Lionel van den Berg wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I manage a Java app that I've released using JWS.

    It may be relevant that it is a signed app.
    Lionel van den Berg, May 11, 2008

  3. Lionel van den Berg

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 11 May 2008 21:02:44 +1100, Lionel van den Berg
    said :

    >I manage a Java app that I've released using JWS. Some of my users work
    >in networks where they use windows and are not allowed to install
    >anything.

    I did an experiment for you. On Vista Home Premium I set up an
    account without Administrator privilege. I used the Opera browser and
    it would happily run signed JWS apps. I discovered though that the
    ability to set the clock was inhibited.

    Since there are no EXE files involved, I guess Windows does not count
    what JWS does as installing.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, May 11, 2008
  4. On Sun, 11 May 2008 13:44:54 +0100, Sabine Dinis Blochberger wrote:

    > Lionel van den Berg wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I manage a Java app that I've released using JWS. Some of my users work
    >> in networks where they use windows and are not allowed to install
    >> anything.
    >>

    >> Does anyone know what the behavior is in such cases?

    > A Java webstart application is downloaded into the JRE cache (you can
    > see this in the Java control panel). This is per user, like a browser
    > cache.

    As I explained to one interested admin user who has assumed it won't
    work. However, you will also note that the application will show up in
    the "add/remove applications" tool in the windows control panel. Can this
    occur even for the most restricted user?

    > Hope this helps.

    Certainly useful :).

    > You can your application by making a different user on
    > your machine, I supose.

    hmmm, that make not sense much. :).
    Lionel van den Berg, May 12, 2008
  5. On Sun, 11 May 2008 15:13:07 +0000, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On 11 May 2008 21:02:44 +1100, Lionel van den Berg <>
    >
    >>I manage a Java app that I've released using JWS. Some of my users work
    >>in networks where they use windows and are not allowed to install
    >>anything.

    > I did an experiment for you. On Vista Home Premium I set up an account
    > without Administrator privilege. I used the Opera browser and it would
    > happily run signed JWS apps. I discovered though that the ability to
    > set the clock was inhibited.

    Thanks, so on my XP box it works, and on your vista box it works.
    However, do these guys in big organisations have windows accounts that
    are more restrictive than our restrictive/non-user accounts?

    Perhaps you care to test my application www.tciworks.info. I'm sure you
    won't know what to do with it ;).

    Maybe this is more a windows question.

    Thanks

    Lionel.
    Lionel van den Berg, May 12, 2008
  6. On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:31:01 +0100, Sabine Dinis Blochberger wrote:

    > Lionel van den Berg wrote:
    >
    >>you will also note that the application will show up in
    >> the "add/remove applications" tool in the windows control panel. Can
    >> this occur even for the most restricted user?
    >>

    > Hm, I hadn't noticed this. You can also see and uninstall it through the
    > "webstart application viewer" (javaws -viewer).
    >
    > I'm going with "it should work", if a user can browse the 'net, he
    > should be able to use Java webstart.

    My hunch is that you are right. Logically it makes sense and I thought
    this to be the case but not sure if I have the tools to test.

    >> > You can your application by making a different user on your machine,
    >> > I supose.

    >> hmmm, that make not sense much. :).

    > Yes, that sentence no verb (DOH!). I meant *test* it on your own
    > machine.

    Yeah, I've setup a test account for that purpose. I'm just not sure if my
    windows XP version of "Restricted User" is the same as what these large
    government organisations use. It's looking like it will be ok, I will
    just have to get the one user I have who wants to use it to just try it
    out and see how it goes. So far they don't answer any of my questions :(.

    Lionel.
    Lionel van den Berg, May 12, 2008
  7. On May 11, 8:13 pm, Lionel van den Berg <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:02:44 +1100, Lionel van den Berg wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,

    > > I manage a Java app that I've released usingJWS.

    > It may be relevant that it is a signed app.

    This kind of ability is usually configured in
    the 'Java Control Panel' (or whatever Sun is
    calling it this instant). For example, the JCP
    might be configured to allow sandboxed apps.
    (which might then obtain files using the JNLP
    API's FileOpenService) but automatically /reject/
    trusted apps.

    But that is not how the plug-in is configured by
    default, and would require special set-up.

    Having said that, there have been bugs that
    (for example) restricted fully signed and trusted
    apps. from accessing files outside a narrow set
    of directories considered 'safe' by the OS (the
    particular case I am thinking of involved applets
    and JWS apps. that were launched using IE on Vista).

    I proposed a solution for that bug, but never got
    any testing results back. (I don't run Vista).

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org
    Andrew Thompson, May 16, 2008