JyRetic EAI Server 1.0RC1 released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alexander DEJANOVSKI, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Retic goes Jython now, and is thus fully compatible with the Java platform.
    (I won't develop no more on the former Python version of Retic. )
    This gives a better connectivity, particularly through JDBC and JMS.
    Jython 2.1 is included in the release.

    Download on the sourceforge project's site =>
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/retic

    Available sources are : file, FTP, HTTP, JMS, SOAP, JDBC, XMLBlaster

    Available pipes are : Zip, Unzip, Flat-to-XML, XML-to-Flat, XPath, XSLT,
    FOP (to produce PDF or PS from XSL-FO input), Excel (to produce MS Excel
    files from Gnumeric-XML input)

    Available sinks are : file, FTP, HTTP, JMS, SOAP, JDBC, XMLBlaster, Jabber
    (open source instant messaging), shell, SMTP, Xindice (Apache's XML database)

    Two new kinds of components have appeared in this release :
    Preprocessors and Postprocessors : executed only once respectively before
    and after adaptor execution.

    Available preprocessors : SQL, Xindice (much more to come)
    Available postprocessors : SQL (much more to come)

    The logging system is now based on log4j (I've added a Jabber appender
    (IMAppender), thanks to orange-soft.com).

    Adaptors can be launched through command-line, XMLRPC calls (retic
    administrator uses it) or JMS queue (the server has to be listening your
    queue).

    Retic also has now a scheduler.

    I know docs aren't up-to-date but I'll fix that real soon.

    WHAT IS RETIC ?

    Retic is an EAI Server.
    The aim is to permit applications to communicate, even if they
    don't speak the same language (which means transport protocols
    as well as data structures).
    This is done by building adaptors. An adaptor is composed of :
    - One source
    - Several pipes (process data transformations)
    - Several sinks (destination of data)
    - Several loggers (using log4j)
    - Preprocessors (executed only once before adaptor execution - for
    example => drop/create a table through a SQL query)
    - Postprocessors (executed only once after adaptor execution - for
    example => creation of an index on a table through a SQL query)

    It is written in Jython and works 100% fine with only Java 1.3+ installed
    on your system (jython 2.1 is embedded in the releases).

    I've also released a reworked version of Retic Administrator (1.0) the GUI
    to create adaptors, and control the server.

    Yet another piece of software released is reticSOAP, a small tool that
    parses WSDL and permits to :
    - test SOAP services
    - See the messages exchanged

    Both Retic Admin and Retic SOAP come as a win32 release or a wxPython 2.4
    source file release (Python 2.3+ needed).

    Enjoy !!

    Alexander DEJANOVSKI, Jan 14, 2004