Kamaelia & Google's Summer of Code 2007

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi,

    We're (BBC Research) participating in Google's Summer of Code as a mentor
    organisation again, and I thought it worth spreading some extra publicity
    where I think there might be some interested people. (I perhaps should've
    sent this sooner!)

    * What's Google Summer of Code? (I suspect most people here know :)

    Essentially Google are paying students to work on open source projects and
    being mentored in those projects, producing useful code and learning useful
    skills. Google's aim is to increase the number of people bitten by the
    open source bug :)

    * How is BBC Research/ Kamaelia involved?

    Like last year we're a mentor organisation, Kamaelia is the open source
    project that project applications are invited for. It's aim is to make
    highly concurrent systems natural to create and simple to maintain. (given
    a choice of forces the we choose the latter) We seem to be having some
    success in this and have a number of systems we've built using Kamaelia.

    Kamaelia is primarily focussed around building networked, multimedia
    systems, tools and applications, since that's generally our problem domain,
    however Kamaelia is a generic component framework & toolset.

    Our project ideas and guidance page is here:
    * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/SummerOfCode2007

    However, we're also interested other ideas beyond that, especially systems
    that use Kamaelia that can act as exemplars. To give an idea of potential
    scope, a list of components can be found here:
    * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Components

    * Who can Apply ?

    You need to be a student now, or in september enrolled at a university
    degree course or similar level of institution/degree.

    * When is the deadline ?

    Monday midnight.

    * Url?

    http://code.google.com/soc/

    Please feel free to forward this to any students or student groups you would
    find this interesting ! :)

    Regards,

    Michael.
    --
    Michael Sparks, Senior Research Engineer, BBC Research, Technology Group
    , Kamaelia Project Lead, http://kamaelia.sf.net/
    Michael, Mar 22, 2007