Kamaelia & Summer of Code (was Re: Google's Summer of Code - Students coding on MoinMoin )

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael, May 6, 2006.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Alexander Schremmer wrote:
    > Just as a sidenote, there are also at least the organisations BBC R&D (
    > Kamaelia) and Python Software Foundation (including Python, PyPy, ...)
    > which offer work on Python software.

    I only just had a chance to check c.l.p.a - thanks for posting the reference
    above - it's VERY much appreciated :)

    For those interested in Kamaelia for summer of code, please see our main
    overview page here:
    * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/SummerOfCode2006.html

    We have a template for applications describing what we're interested in
    here:
    * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/SummerOfCode2006Template.html

    The main discussion area for projects is here:
    * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/projects/blog.cgi

    However there's been *a lot* of discussion on IRC over the past few days on
    this subject, so looking in the logs might be a good idea:
    * http://koala.ilog.fr/twikiirc/bin/irclogger_logs/kamaelia

    We've had a few very good applications so far, but one thing I would like to
    say is this:

    Please note: For summer of code, we're interested in anyone who can code,
    not PhD candidates (they're nice and welcome though :). We're rating
    applications based on enthusiasm, approach and project they want to do as
    much as we are on people's innate ability. Anyone with sufficient talent OR
    determination can produce something wonderful.

    The reason for this note is someone made the comment that they thought we're
    interested only in PhD candidates which is unfortunate. Whilst Dirac is
    pretty hardcore, Kamaelia is written in python for a very specific reason -
    to lower the barrier to entry. Summer of Code for us is as much about
    testing whether that really is the case, as it is about producing useful
    tools.

    After all, we're serious when we say that Kamaelia /should/ be accessible
    even to novice programmers.

    Also, Whilst the front page of the website hasn't seen much action recently
    it's probably worth mentioning that we've now got significantly better
    documentation of individual components, a cookbook of examples, etc.

    The best starting point at the moment is probably here:
    * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Docs/

    If you've got no idea what Kamaelia is, two ways to describe it:
    * Rack mountable software (currently trying this description for size :)
    * Toys for programmers

    A way to describe its ethos (paraphrasing Doug McIlroy):
    "Write components that do one thing and do it well.
    Write components to work together.
    Write components to handle object streams, because that is a universal
    interface."

    We're in the final stages of an optimisation phase, so this is a good time
    to get involved. The current release will soon be replaced with something
    with a lot of new components and greatly improved performance. (when *that*
    happens that would be a good time to be a user of the system :)

    Anyway, this message is really targetted at people who are interested in
    doing something FUN and useful for summer of code :) (apologies to those
    who might view it as spam...)

    Have fun!

    Michael
    --
    Michael Sparks, Senior Research Engineer, BBC Research, Technology Group
    , Kamaelia Project Lead, http://kamaelia.sf.net/
    Michael, May 6, 2006