Keep getting "Your login attempt was not successful...." from <asp:Login> control - but it works on

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Jack, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Hi,

    I have defined a role called 'Administrator' and a user called 'admin' and
    made 'admin' a member of this role 'Administrator'.
    In my ASP.NET 2.0 web application, I simply have an <asp:LoginView> and
    inside this I have :

    <asp:LoginView ID="LoginViewMain" runat="server">
    <AnonymousTemplate>
    ... Normal web
    surfers view this stuff here ...
    </AnonymousTemplate>
    <RoleGroups>
    <asp:RoleGroup Roles="Administrator">
    <ContentTemplate>
    ... Users with the
    membership of 'Administrator' view this stuff here ...
    </ContentTemplate>
    </asp:RoleGroup>
    </RoleGroups>
    </asp:LoginView>

    I have a login.aspx page that has a <asp:Login> control that allows the
    'admin' to logon.

    This all works perfeclty on my development XP machine (when I press F5), but
    when I deploy it to the Windows 2003 box live on the internet, the admin
    can't login. The only error I get is 'Your login attempt was not successful.
    Please try again.'

    I tried with different usernames and installed SQL server express and
    'openned' up the security options on SQL Server Express thinking it was a
    type of security issue? I'm at a loss as to why the admin can't login, and
    can't seem to get any actual errors. Can any one suggest some help?

    Thanks,
    Jack.

    Jack, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Jack

    Jack Guest

    I managed to fix it.

    I set the security settings on the MDF and LDF files to 'Modify' and 'Write'
    on the IIS_WPG group. (Right-click on each file, then select Properties,
    then in the 'Security' tab.

    Jack.

    Jack, Jul 16, 2006