Keep only one part of a string

Zouplaz

Hello, how to better write that : self.ident = self.ident[/0-9*/]

I'm pretty sure there is a String method that would keep only the first
match of the regex but I didn't found it in the String doc reference

Thanks

Eero Saynatkari

Zouplaz said:
Hello, how to better write that : self.ident = self.ident[/0-9*/]

I'm pretty sure there is a String method that would keep only the first
match of the regex but I didn't found it in the String doc reference

ri String#slice, ri String#slice!

Zouplaz

le 15/09/2006 01:43, Eero Saynatkari nous a dit:
Zouplaz said:
Hello, how to better write that : self.ident = self.ident[/0-9*/]

I'm pretty sure there is a String method that would keep only the first
match of the regex but I didn't found it in the String doc reference

ri String#slice, ri String#slice!

Fine ! Thanks... About the same topic (Strings) I wonder how to replace
"REF:90 REFERAL".gsub!('REF:','')
by something else

I tried with .delete but

"REF:90 REFERAL".delete!("REF:") delete every R, E or F char in the string

How to use delete ?

Thanks in advance

Zouplaz

le 15/09/2006 12:01, Paul Lutus nous a dit:
Zouplaz wrote:
Hello, how to better write that : self.ident = self.ident[/0-9*/]

I'm pretty sure there is a String method that would keep only the first
match of the regex but I didn't found it in the String doc reference
ri String#slice, ri String#slice!

Thanks
Fine ! Thanks... About the same topic (Strings) I wonder how to replace
"REF:90 REFERAL".gsub!('REF:','')
by something else

What something else? Please say specifically what you want to accomplish.
Post an example string before you apply your desired remedy, and after.

Sorry, what I would like to know is if there is a another String method
to delete a part of a string instead of gsub

In the string "REF:90 REFERAL"

I want REF: to be deleted but not the REF or REFERAL

I've tried with the .delete method but each R, E F : char was deleted in
the string

MonkeeSage

Zouplaz said:
Sorry, what I would like to know is if there is a another String method
to delete a part of a string instead of gsub

In the string "REF:90 REFERAL"

I want REF: to be deleted but not the REF or REFERAL

I've tried with the .delete method but each R, E F : char was deleted in
the string

You want String#slice!

s = 'REF:90 REFERAL'
s.slice!('REF:') # => "REF:"
s # => "90 REFERAL"

Check out the core documentation for the String class:
http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/String.html

Regards,
Jordan

Logan Capaldo

[...]