    but anything that stops the browser timing out would be good.

    Thanks

    Steve

    Steve W, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Steve W

    bruce barker Guest

    while you can turn buffering off, and send patial results, 10 minutes is a
    long time. proxy servers may disconnect, etc. you should switch to running
    the function with a background thread, and have the page poll for results.
    google this newgroup for progress bars

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Thanks for Bruce's informative inputs.

    Hi Steve,

    As Bruce have mentioned, the general meams is to let the long run task
    running at serverside( in a background thread ..) and the page response
    return as normal. Then, we contantly post back to poll the result from
    serverside. And here are some tech article discussing on such topic:

    #How to show progress in the client browser for a long-running ASP.NET page
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837375

    #DESIGN PATTERNS: Asynchronous Wait State Pattern in ASP.NET
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/12/designpatterns/default...
    http://www.aspnetpro.com/NewsletterArticle/2003/08/asp200308bm_l/asp2...
    _l.asp

    Hope also helps.