    name. is there a way of achieving this using html?

    tia.

    beauchampy

    Beauchampy, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Beauchampy

    Safalra Guest

    Beauchampy wrote:
    > if i register a domain and have the site hosted elsewhere, the url in

    the IE
    > address bar changes to that of the host, i'd like it to stay as the

    domain
    > name. is there a way of achieving this using html?

    Yes - it's called URL masking and uses frames. Several years ago I used
    to use it on safalra.com - before I reached enlightenment. Trust me,
    it's counterproductive for a number of reasons, and you'll probably get
    more visitors without it...

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

    Safalra, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Safalra wrote:
    > Beauchampy wrote:
    >
    >> if i register a domain and have the site hosted elsewhere, the
    >> url in the IE address bar changes to that of the host, i'd like
    >> it to stay as the domain name. is there a way of achieving this
    >> using html?

    > Yes - it's called URL masking and uses frames. Several years ago I
    > used to use it on safalra.com - before I reached enlightenment.
    > Trust me, it's counterproductive for a number of reasons, and
    > you'll probably get more visitors without it...

    And further, IE has nothing to do with it, just in case Beauchampy
    wasn't aware. The masking etc will be the same in all browsers. (and I
    think it is not a good idea as well)

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Beauchampy

    Safalra Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Safalra wrote:
    > > Beauchampy wrote:
    > >> if i register a domain and have the site hosted elsewhere, the
    > >> url in the IE address bar changes to that of the host, i'd like
    > >> it to stay as the domain name.

    > > Yes - it's called URL masking and uses frames. [snip]
    > > Trust me, it's counterproductive for a number of reasons, and
    > > you'll probably get more visitors without it...

    > And further, IE has nothing to do with it, just in case Beauchampy
    > wasn't aware. The masking etc will be the same in all browsers.

    Of course. I suppose we should also point out *why* it's a bad idea.
    Amongst other things, unless you make sure all your links are absolute
    and have target="#top", then the URL in the address bar won't actually
    correspond to the page, which means people won't be able to link.
    Search engines will also be badly affected - so you damage the two most
    important sources of visitors.

    Safalra, Apr 28, 2005