    this? Is it possible to inherit the middle columns length or something?
    Thank you for your help.

    Nicholas

    Fluxcore, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Fluxcore

    Richard Guest

    Fluxcore wrote:

    > I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
    > column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want the
    > the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
    > this? Is it possible to inherit the middle columns length or something?
    > Thank you for your help.

    > Nicholas

    you could try
    div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
    div.left {background:red;}
    div.middle {background:white;}
    div.right {background:blue;}

    Works just fine for me.

    Richard, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Fluxcore

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Fluxcore said:

    > I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
    > column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want the
    > the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
    > this?

    not supported by IE
    http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/equal-height-cols-thingy.html

    --
    brucie
    22/December/2003 02:39:22 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Richard wrote:
    > you could try
    > div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
    > div.left {background:red;}
    > div.middle {background:white;}
    > div.right {background:blue;}
    >
    > Works just fine for me.

    And will, as long as all three columns contain pixel content (images) of
    less than 100x100px. If they contain anything larger, such as text or
    larger images, your layout will break.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Fluxcore

    Whitecrest Guest

    Whitecrest, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Fluxcore

    Richard Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Fluxcore wrote:

    >> I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
    >> column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want the
    >> the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
    >> this? Is it possible to inherit the middle columns length or something?
    >> Thank you for your help.

    >> Nicholas

    > you could try
    > div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
    > div.left {background:red;}
    > div.middle {background:white;}
    > div.right {background:blue;}

    > Works just fine for me.

    Ok so I have a minor typo in there. You know how to fix it.

    Richard, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Fluxcore

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Whitecrest wrote:
    >> http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/equal-height-cols-thingy.html

    > "This site is designed for and will look much better in a modern browser
    > such as Opera or Mozilla, but it is accessible to any browser or
    > Internet device."
    >
    > It did not work on my browser at all.

    It might be easier to work out why it doesn't work if you (a) State what
    your browser is and (b) be more specific then 'did not work'.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Fluxcore

    Richard Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> you could try
    >> div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
    >> div.left {background:red;}
    >> div.middle {background:white;}
    >> div.right {background:blue;}
    >>
    >> Works just fine for me.

    > And will, as long as all three columns contain pixel content (images) of
    > less than 100x100px. If they contain anything larger, such as text or
    > larger images, your layout will break.

    To get around that, you make your divisions equal to what the largest one
    is.
    If you don't like that idea, create another division for the extra stuff
    such as images.

    Richard, Dec 21, 2003
  10. Fluxcore

    Richard Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> you could try
    >> div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
    >> div.left {background:red;}
    >> div.middle {background:white;}
    >> div.right {background:blue;}
    >>
    >> Works just fine for me.

    > And will, as long as all three columns contain pixel content (images) of
    > less than 100x100px. If they contain anything larger, such as text or
    > larger images, your layout will break.

    You mean like this?
    http://1-large-world.com/samples/3cols-1.html

    Richard, Dec 21, 2003
  11. Fluxcore

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bs4mck$dbb$1$>,
    says...
    > >> http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/equal-height-cols-thingy.html

    > > "This site is designed for and will look much better in a modern browser
    > > such as Opera or Mozilla, but it is accessible to any browser or
    > > Internet device."
    > > It did not work on my browser at all.

    > It might be easier to work out why it doesn't work if you (a) State what
    > your browser is and (b) be more specific then 'did not work'.

    Nothing worked. I was viewing it in a specialty browser, made
    specifically for color blind people with no hands or navel, and one
    right foot.

    My point is that there is NO meaningful code that is accessible in EVERY
    BROWSER in the world.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 21, 2003
  12. Fluxcore

    John McGaw Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > brucie wrote:
    >
    > > in post <news:>
    > > Fluxcore said:

    > >> I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
    > >> column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want

    the
    > >> the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
    > >> this?

    > > not supported by IE
    > > http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/equal-height-cols-thingy.html

    > Oh?
    >
    > http://1-large-world.com/samples/3cols.html
    >
    > Works just fine in IE 6.
    >

    > > --
    > > brucie
    > > 22/December/2003 02:39:22 am kilo

    Enlarge the font size and watch what happens.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    Return address will not work. Please
    reply in group or through my website:
    http://johnmcgaw.com

    John McGaw, Dec 21, 2003

    <http://sandbox.bednarz.nl/css/height/cols.html>

    --
    | ) 111010111011 | http://bednarz.nl/
    -(

    Eric B. Bednarz, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Fluxcore

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Whitecrest said:

> [...]

    ..
    >> It might be easier to work out why it doesn't work if you (a) State what
    >> your browser is and (b) be more specific then 'did not work'.

    > Nothing worked. I was viewing it in a specialty browser, made
    > specifically for color blind people with no hands or navel, and one
    > right foot.

    you should complain to the creator of your browser. you probably paid a
    lot of money for your specialty browser and it doesn't even support html
    that pre public beta versions of mosaic support.

    of course it could be made a bit prettier, it is just a demo but i
    didn't think it worthwhile to support the 10+ year old mommy of the
    modern browser.

    > My point is that there is NO meaningful code that is accessible in EVERY
    > BROWSER in the world.

    worst case is just plain text, its a reasonable argument that plain text
    isn't accessible but it is still there for the visitor to make what
    sense of it they can. but i'd be very surprised if a browser didn't at
    least support a <p>

    --
    brucie
    22/December/2003 07:01:08 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 21, 2003
  15. Fluxcore

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bs53ot$9q7dd$-berlin.de>
    brucie said:

    > you should complain to the creator of your browser. you probably paid a
    > lot of money for your specialty browser and it doesn't even support html
    > that pre public beta versions of mosaic support.
    >
    > of course it could be made a bit prettier, it is just a demo but i
    > didn't think it worthwhile to support the 10+ year old mommy of the
    > modern browser.

    i forgot the screencap:

    win mosaic 0.6b
    http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/mosaic.png[7k]

    --
    brucie
    22/December/2003 07:43:08 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 21, 2003
  16. Fluxcore

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Dec 21, 2003
  17. Fluxcore

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Dec 21, 2003
  18. Fluxcore

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Whitecrest <> wrote:

    >In article <bs4irm$9g9kd$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> not supported by IE
    >> http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/equal-height-cols-thingy.html

    >"This site is designed for and will look much better in a modern browser
    >such as Opera or Mozilla, but it is accessible to any browser or
    >Internet device."
    >
    >It did not work on my browser at all.

    Really? What browser is that? As far as I can tell it even works in
    antiques like IE6 and NN4.

    The page is just blocks of text separated into three semantics-free
    actually 'work'. How does it not work? Is the text not legible? Are
    the divisions not divided?

    In CSS-less browsers I see three blocks of text.
    In browsers with some CSS support they gain coloured backgrounds.
    In browsers with advanced CSS support they are arranged into three
    columns.

    Or put that into reverse and it seems like a good example of graceful
    degradation.

    The only thing I would question is the inclusion of the message you
    quoted which isn't really needed and which might confuse some users
    of older browsers.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Dec 21, 2003
  19. Toby A Inkster, Dec 21, 2003
  20. Fluxcore

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Steve Pugh said:

    > The only thing I would question is the inclusion of the message you
    > quoted which isn't really needed and which might confuse some users
    > of older browsers.

    the only reason i stuck it in was because i knew it would piss people
    off. it worked!

    --
    brucie
    22/December/2003 09:32:09 am kilo