Keeping columns the same length

brucie

No shit, when you take the page size down so low like that.

it still doesn't work when the window is 4380+px wide. just how big do i
need my window for it to work? i can go up to 6400px wide if i really
have to. http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/screencap003.png [12k]
IE isn't perfect,

no browser is but IE is one of the ones down the bottom.
but you said the coding did not work at all

i didn't say anything, i supplied two screencaps (and another with this
post) showing that your markup did not produce equal length columns.
and I proved you wrong.

i'm going to tell my mommy on you.

brucie

You're kinda cheating there.
shhhhh!

The version of the page that is actually online wouldn't work in
Mosaic

a minor technical issue. 0.6 cant even access the net.

kchayka

Richard said:
To get around that, you make your divisions equal to what the largest one
is.

Huh? How can you reliably set both width and height on a block that
contains text, especially in px units? You have no control over text
size or font, so you cannot predict what the container dimensions should
be. Even using em or ex units would give questionable results. Plus,
by your reasoning, you'd have to set a different height on every page,
corresponding to the longest column on that page. Stoopid.
If you don't like that idea, create another division for the extra stuff
such as images.

I can't imagine how that would help.

Richard

brucie said:
it still doesn't work when the window is 4380+px wide. just how big do i
need my window for it to work? i can go up to 6400px wide if i really
have to. http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/screencap003.png [12k]
IE isn't perfect,
no browser is but IE is one of the ones down the bottom.
i didn't say anything, i supplied two screencaps (and another with this
post) showing that your markup did not produce equal length columns.
i'm going to tell my mommy on you.

Well geez man, when you set the browser window to some gawd awful size like
that, yeah, it's bound to screw up.
But let's be practical here. Who sets their window to THAT size and expect
to see anything?

Richard

rf wrote:

No. Those three columns are not the same height. They never will be with
this code.

huh?
If a=1 b=1 and c=1 then we can say that c=a correct?
all 3 div's are set to the same dimensions. They can not be anything but
equal.
oh. you're using brucie's logical high grade einsteinish math right?

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
brucie said:

Well geez man, when you set the browser window to some gawd awful size like
that, yeah, it's bound to screw up.

So, "it's bound to screw up" when the window is small (screenshot 1),
and when the font size is above average (screenshot 2), and when the
window is large (screenshot 3).

So under what circumstances does it work?

Not even IE6, Win XP with factory settings:
http://steve.pugh.net/test/richard-3col-ie6.png

The size of the browser window and the size of the text are under the
user's control. The amount of text may be under your control or may be
under the control of a copy writer. Do you really think that you can
set the pixel height and width for the containers and get good results
when you have so little control over everything else?

Steve

Toby A Inkster

Richard said:
If a=1 b=1 and c=1 then we can say that c=a correct?
all 3 div's are set to the same dimensions. They can not be anything but
equal.

Yes, the <div>s are the same dimensions, but as the content can flow out
of the <div>s it's not really any use.