    also a section on the left with links to my home page, contact info,
    links, etc. always displayed on the left w/out having to put that
    stuff in on every single page.
    Caleb, Feb 21, 2007

  2. Caleb

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Caleb" <> wrote:

    > How do I keep a certain portion of my website always visible? eg: a
    > footer that is always displayed at the bottom regardless of the page,
    > also a section on the left with links to my home page, contact info,
    > links, etc. always displayed on the left w/out having to put that
    > stuff in on every single page.

    Put it on every page in your case. What is the problem with that
    for you?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 21, 2007

  3. Caleb

    Caleb Guest

    I'm going to have over 100 pages to put it on, and if I suddenly
    decide I want to change something that means I will have to do it to
    all of them :)
    Caleb, Feb 22, 2007
  4. Caleb

    j1mb0jay Guest

    Caleb wrote:
    > How do I keep a certain portion of my website always visible? eg: a
    > footer that is always displayed at the bottom regardless of the page,
    > also a section on the left with links to my home page, contact info,
    > links, etc. always displayed on the left w/out having to put that
    > stuff in on every single page.

    Try using an iframe.
    http://www.topxml.com/xhtml/xhtml_tag_iframe.asp
    --
    Regards JJ (UWA)
    j1mb0jay, Feb 22, 2007
  5. Caleb

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Caleb" <> wrote:

    > I'm going to have over 100 pages to put it on, and if I suddenly
    > decide I want to change something that means I will have to do it to
    > all of them :)

    OK. Why is this so hard? It is certainly dead simple using S & R
    over whole folders in a text editor like BBEdit. Takes no time at
    all. It takes the time to paste old in one field, new in another
    and set to the whole website folder and enter. You don't, I
    repeat, you don't have to go to each file to change it.

    But I agree it is less elegant when you are uploading to a
    webserver, especially on dialup! But if 100 pages is all, it is
    not any effort really

    Best way long term is server side control. You have a few
    options. Server Side Includes, PHP includes. I use the latter
    these days more and more. But I got on fine for years using just
    S & R. But get tutes on "includes"

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 22, 2007
  6. Caleb

    al jones Guest

    On 21 Feb 2007 16:10:22 -0800, Caleb wrote:

    > I'm going to have over 100 pages to put it on, and if I suddenly
    > decide I want to change something that means I will have to do it to
    > all of them :)

    Caleb, I use orb as a preprocessor - that means (to me) that if I change my
    header (which is stock over all my pages) then I just change the header,
    run orb and upload my pages. I have 4 standard parts to my pages:
    Header
    Horizontal nav bar
    Nav area on left
    footer

    Now, while I don't make changes to these often, when I do make and orb make
    small work of it. What you do in you orb source file fname.orb is put in
    [[$include somefile.orh]] and somefile.orh gets copied here when you run
    orb to create the output.html file.

    //al
    al jones, Feb 22, 2007
  7. Caleb

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:15:44 GMT Caleb scribed:

    > How do I keep a certain portion of my website always visible? eg: a
    > footer that is always displayed at the bottom regardless of the page,
    > also a section on the left with links to my home page, contact info,
    > links, etc. always displayed on the left w/out having to put that
    > stuff in on every single page.

    The 2 commonest ways to do that are server-side includes and frames.
    Frames can cause associative problems so read-up on server-side includes,
    possibly using Google.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Feb 22, 2007
  8. On 21 Feb 2007 16:10:22 -0800, in alt.html "Caleb"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm going to have over 100 pages to put it on, and if I suddenly
    >decide I want to change something that means I will have to do it to
    >all of them :)

    My header bar:

    <IFRAME SRC="gen-header.htm" name="header1" height=85 align=top
    scrolling="no" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0><!-- Alternate content for
    non-supporting browsers --><H2 align=center>The Carrier
    Project</H2></IFRAME>

    menu:

    2007</div>
    <hr>
    <IFRAME SRC="gen-mainmenu.htm" name="menu" height=2135 align=left
    scrolling="no" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0><!-- Alternate content for
    non-supporting browsers --><a href="gen-sitemap.htm"
    target=_parent>Click here for menu</a></IFRAME>

    and an information block:

    <IFRAME SRC="bg-general.htm" name="bggeneral" height=420 align=top
    scrolling="no" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0></IFRAME>

    All I need to do to change the header/menu/info block on all 300-odd
    pages of my site is make the changes to gen-header.htm,
    gen-mainmenu.htm or the various bg-XXXXX.htm files.

    Now, keeping these elements in place while the rest of the page
    scrolls - that I can't help you with, sorry.

    --
    William Hughes, San Antonio, Texas:
    The Carrier Project: http://home.grandecom.net/~cvproj/carrier.htm
    William Hughes, Feb 22, 2007
  9. On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:54:23 +1100, in alt.html dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >Best way long term is server side control. You have a few
    >options. Server Side Includes, PHP includes. I use the latter
    >these days more and more. But I got on fine for years using just
    >S & R. But get tutes on "includes"

    Or IFRAME, if your ISP does not support SSI or php.

    William Hughes, Feb 22, 2007
  10. Caleb

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 21 Feb, 23:15, "Caleb" <> wrote:
    > How do I keep a certain portion of my website always visible?

    Page or site ?

    For content on pages, then CSS "position: fixed;" is good, but not
    widely supported. Searching that phrase will show you work-arounds
    though.

    For content across pages on a site, then use SSI (server side
    includes), which are very widely discussed hereabouts and in the FAQ.
    _Don't_ use an <iframe> though, that's a blecherous and massively
    obsolete solution.
    Andy Dingley, Feb 22, 2007
  11. Caleb

    Roy A. Guest

    On 22 Feb, 13:31, "Andy Dingley" <> wrote:
    > On 21 Feb, 23:15, "Caleb" <> wrote:
    >
    > > How do I keep a certain portion of my website always visible?

    > Page or site ?
    >
    > For content on pages, then CSS "position: fixed;" is good, but not
    > widely supported.

    Only by about 50% of the browsers.

    > Searching that phrase will show you work-arounds
    > though.
    >
    > For content across pages on a site, then use SSI (server side
    > includes), which are very widely discussed hereabouts and in the FAQ.

    Agree.

    > _Don't_ use an <iframe> though, that's a blecherous and massively
    > obsolete solution.

    The iframe element is not obsolete or deprecated. The object element
    is also an option. You should take a closer look at the elements:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/elements.html
    Roy A., Feb 22, 2007
  12. Caleb

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 22 Feb, 19:29, "Roy A." <> wrote:

    > > For content on pages, then CSS "position: fixed;" is good, but not
    > > widely supported.

    > Only by about 50% of the browsers.

    When 50% can't make use of it, then that's a problem.

    > > _Don't_ use an <iframe> though, that's a blecherous and massively
    > > obsolete solution.

    > The iframe element is not obsolete or deprecated.

    I never said it was either. <iframe> certainly isn't deprecated, nor
    is it entirely obsolete for some cases where there's just no good
    alternative. As SSI today is trivially available on almost every
    hosting service though, then using <iframe> as a workaround for not
    having it certainly is. <iframe> is never an elegant solution to doing
    client-side assembly of something that should be being assembled on
    the server.
    Andy Dingley, Feb 23, 2007
  13. Caleb

    Roy A. Guest

    On 23 Feb, 10:51, "Andy Dingley" <> wrote:

    > > The iframe element is not obsolete or deprecated.

    > I never said it was either.

    Oh, but then we agree.

    > <iframe> certainly isn't deprecated,

    I'm glad you got that part right.

    > nor is it entirely obsolete for some cases

    So it isn't massively obsolete in most cases.

    > where there's just no good alternative.

    There is always some cases where some solutions is better than others.
    Try to Google it.

    > As SSI today is trivially available on almost every
    > hosting service though,

    That's true, in some sense, so there is no need for me to say anything
    about PHP server-side Include().

    > then using <iframe> as a workaround for not having it
    > certainly is.

    So using <iframe> as a workaround (in this case) is entirely obsolete,
    because server-side script is trivially available on almost every
    hosting service. A agree, and I'm glad you're pointing that out.

    > <iframe> is never an elegant solution to doing
    > client-side assembly of something that should be being assembled on
    > the server.

    Maybe not an elegant solution, and certainly not a good solution in
    this case. The iframe element is, however, still there; and is widely
    used and supported.
    Roy A., Feb 23, 2007
  14. Caleb

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Caleb wrote:
    > How do I keep a certain portion of my website always visible? eg: a
    > footer that is always displayed at the bottom regardless of the page,
    > also a section on the left with links to my home page, contact info,
    > links, etc. always displayed on the left w/out having to put that
    > stuff in on every single page.

    Iframes (and frames) have problems.

    Javascript has problems.

    Java and Flash have problems.

    Browsers are not created equal.

    There is no single approach that will solve all problems and remove all
    obstacles other than making plain text HTML pages that have links as the
    only interactive feature. Media (sound and video)? Nah. Problems.
    Images? Well, a little better but still not universally consistent in
    all cases ... problems.

    Still ... if your choice is to create this design, then you need to
    choose among the least of the evils. That is what I chose to do. I am
    not able to use any server-side solution, my ISP simply doesn't offer
    it. I like the drop-down menu concept, I wanted to be able to change
    just a couple of files to change the menus and footer on all of my
    couple-of-hundred Web pages by changing just a few files. I was willing
    to cede those users who refuse to use javascript.

    So. I use javascript to generate the menu content, and the footer
    content, on the fly when a page is loaded. Should a user have js
    disabled the page will degrade to a level of navagability, although it
    certainly isn't as "pretty." But the user can get to everything on the
    site. So be it. Paranoia about javascript threats on the Internet is
    largely overblown. And to change every menu on 200 some pages on my
    sites means editing two files. To change every footer on those pages
    means editing one file. And, yes, I have a competent text editor in
    which I create manually all of my pages and it does have Regular
    Expression Search and Replace. Not anywhere close to the convenience of
    what I do now. No, I have no desire to buy, learn, and embrace a CMS
    software package. Nor do I want all the extra code added to 200+ pages
    that that would entail.

    Hey, your mileage may vary, just my 3.5 cents adjusted for inflation.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 24, 2007