Keeping Track Of User Navigation For Titles

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Colin Steadman, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Suppose you have a site structure that looks like this:

    |--Countries.asp
    | |
    |--Region.asp
    | |
    |--Cities.asp
    | |
    |--Population.asp

    You start at the Countries page with a list of Countries.
    If you click on UK, the site would take you to the Region
    page and display the following at the top:

    UK

    This would give some context to the list of regions the
    user was looking at. If the user then clicks Midlands to
    view Cities in the Midlands. The Cities page would
    display:

    UK > Midlands

    To give a context to the list of cities. Then if the user
    clicked Birmingham to view population data I'd want the
    following at the top of the population page:

    UK > Midlands > Birmingham

    I've been trying to do this by creating a session variable
    in the countries page, and just adding to it as I go
    along. However I've just discovered a major flaw with
    this approach. If I click the back button and then
    refresh, I end up with something like this:

    UK > Midlands > Birmingham > Midlands

    Which is obviously wrong. To compound matters the user
    could go from Countries directly to population, so it'd
    need to read:

    USA > Population

    Or they could goto population from region, ie:

    USA > East Coast > Population

    In this situation, how could track the movements of the
    user to correctly display navigation information?

    TIA

    Colin

    Colin Steadman, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Colin Steadman

    Mark Schupp Guest

    use a separate session variable for each level in your hierarchy.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Sep 29, 2004