keeping web page size consistent...

Sniper

I have been using webpage maker v2 to design my
website, I actually find it better than NVU in many ways. However, I am
having a big problem in terms of keeping each page to a consistent
length relative to the rest of the page.

An example on my website would be this page:

http://www.inthenameofallah.org/Total War.html

As you can see there is a large gap of empty space
from where the text box ends to where the page finishes and i cannot
find anyway to close the gap. Is there any html code i could slot into
the bottom of the page to tell the page to stop at that point?.

Apologies in advance for my ignorance!

Thanks for any input

David Dorward

Sniper said:
I have been using webpage maker v2 to design my
website, I actually find it better than NVU in many ways.

Nvu has its flaws, but I just glanced at the source of the page you
reference below. Judging by that, Webpage Maker V2 is horrifically bad and
should be avoided like the plague.

Aside from anything else it has little your document with a huge stack of:

&nbsp;</B></font>

Bold spaces of a specific colour and font? SPACES?! And using non-breaking
spaces for padding!

It shoves the entire content in a div ... which is gives a width that is
much wider then the content ... thus causing a useless horizontal scrollbar
to appear.

Forget any problems you are having, throw the software out, and start
marking up you content from scratch. It will be rather easier then trying
to fix that heap of garbage that "Webpage Mark V2" has spewed out and
called HTML.

Michael Laplante

David Dorward said:
Sniper wrote:
Forget any problems you are having, throw the software out, and start
marking up you content from scratch. It will be rather easier then trying
to fix that heap of garbage that "Webpage Mark V2" has spewed out and
called HTML.

Quit beating about the bush. What are you trying to say?

jojo

Sniper said:
I didnt realise it was that bad, although starting
again seems daunting:(.

Hard not to realize that...

BTW: Please do not "top post". Put your text /below/ the quote. That
improves the readability of this thread: top to bottom and not the way
round.

Jim Higson

Sniper said:
I have been using webpage maker v2 to design my
website, I actually find it better than NVU in many ways. However, I am
having a big problem in terms of keeping each page to a consistent
length relative to the rest of the page.

An example on my website would be this page:

http://www.inthenameofallah.org/Total War.html

As you can see there is a large gap of empty space
from where the text box ends to where the page finishes and i cannot
find anyway to close the gap. Is there any html code i could slot into
the bottom of the page to tell the page to stop at that point?.

Probably, if you want to be taken seriously you should tone down the flames
a bit. The presentation looks like something from some heavy metal fan's
myspace site.

This might be a good page to look at for layout ideas:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

Sniper

Jim said:
Probably, if you want to be taken seriously you should tone down the flames
a bit. The presentation looks like something from some heavy metal fan's
myspace site.

This might be a good page to look at for layout ideas:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

Thanks for the constructive criticism:). Yes that website is very
good, thanks for digging it out - nice simple, clear design. I went
heavy on the flames as the whole Quran is basically about hell, inferno
and death.

Nik Coughlin

Sniper said:
I have been using webpage maker v2 to design my
website, I actually find it better than NVU in many ways.

Salvage your content by running HTML Tidy over the code, then start again.
Don't use a WYSIWYG editor if you can help it, just code nice simple markup
using nothing but headers, paragraphs, links, lists etc. and then, and only
then, style your content using CSS. Post to the newsgroups when you get
stuck.

Jim Higson

Sniper said:
I went
heavy on the flames as the whole Quran is basically about hell, inferno
and death.

It does make you look a bit over the top.

This might be of interest:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/cruelty/long.html

Apparently, there are 337 incidents of cruelty in the quran, versus 854 in
the bible.

Personally, I see both as rather archaic, but most modern day followers of
religions aren't fundamentalists that follow every word anyway. I know
plenty of Christians who believe in woman's rights despite all this
nonsense:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/women/long.html

Anyway, a debate for another time. Good luck learning HTML, feel free to ask
any questions here (preferably after a quick Google search).