Kerberos / Authentication to SQL2K

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paul Mason, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Paul Mason

    Paul Mason Guest

    Hi folks,

    I thought I'd got this sorted, but apparently not.

    Everything in the documentation indicates that setting the IIS settings to
    use integrated logins and changing my authentication mode in web.config to
    windows would be all I needed to do. It didn't want to know the
    authentication until I switched on impersonation either.

    Thus my web.config has

    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <identity impersonate="true"/>

    When ia had it setup on my local machine, it authenticated OK (which it
    didn't before when in an NT domain).

    When set up on my web server however, I get the "Login failed for user
    '(null)'. Not associated with a trusted login" error, whenever I access a
    page that needs to authenticate to my SQL server.

    Each machine (web server, sql server, workstations) are in an active
    directory domain.

    I thought kerberos sorted this all out?? I have no intention of using
    impersonation...I'd rather stick to forms authentication.

    Any ideas??

    Cheers...P
    Paul Mason, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Paul Mason

    Paul Mason Guest

    Please ignore my previous post....I have finally discovered the madness of
    the situation. From the help in visual studio :

    "If your application runs on a Windows-based intranet, you might be able to
    use Windows integrated security for database access. Integrated security
    requires:
    a.. That SQL Server be running on the same computer as IIS. "
    Err what!?!....Are they mad? This breaks all the rules of good development,
    appart from being about a dangerous as you can get. The mere suggestion of
    this is so stupid that I completely overlooked it. Even when I spotted it I
    had to read it several times to get over the shock.

    Does anyone know when they are going to create a proper system for
    authenticating users to SQL server? Is it likelly to happen in Whidbey?

    Cheers...P

    Paul Mason, Jul 14, 2004