Kerberos not being used, only NTLM - Login failed for user '(null)'

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by DougM, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. DougM

    DougM Guest

    We have a Win2K3 Server running an ASP .NET application that connects
    to a Win2K3 server running SQL 2000 on the backend.

    Whenever a user opens the application page in their client browser
    they get the error message:
    "The following error occurred whilst loading the page: Login failed
    for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server
    connection."

    We have been through all the newsgroups, the Microsoft
    "Troubleshooting Kerberos Delegation" whitepaper, the Microsoft
    "Troubleshooting Kerberos Errors" whitepaper and it appears as though
    Kerberos has been turned off for IIS on this middle tier server. When
    a client connects it doesn't even attempt Kerberos authentication but
    immediately authenticates with NTLM, which explains the login failure
    for user '(null)' error. What we can't work out is why Kerberos isn't
    even attempted.

    Thanks in advance,
    Doug.

    DougM, Sep 22, 2004

  2. DougM

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    See responses in microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security

    Cheers
    Ken

    Ken Schaefer, Sep 23, 2004