kernel/java behaviour when using threaded udp

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tom Forsmo, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. Tom Forsmo

    Tom Forsmo Guest

    I am experimenting with a high performance UDP server for both stateless
    and stateful UDP operations and a problem occurs to me when dealing with
    threads. Does DatagramSocket for sending a packet require me to
    explicitly use a synchronised wrapper method, or will the java/kernel
    socket implementation perform that task for me automatically?

    (When it comes to the kernel I know it depends on the kernel, but as far
    as I know, in Linux for example, kernel operations are single threaded.
    This does not stop the newer versions of having very finegrained
    interruptible kernel code (low latency patch), but this is a different
    matter.)

    I am worried that if I were to synchronise operations myself, it might
    affect performance more than necessary. Perhaps because kernel
    synchronisation is faster than java synchronisation, if that is the
    case. Or that there are two levels of synchronisation, when only one is
    needed, which then leads to wasted time.

    Any thoughts?

    tom

    Tom Forsmo, Nov 7, 2006