    haziz Guest

    Kernighan and Plauger's Software Tools book is available in two versions, the original one using code in Ratfor (Rational Fortran: Fortran 66 with C influences, if I am understanding correctly) and in a 1981 revision using Pascal as the language.

    Which version would you recommend for a student working mostly in C and why?
    haziz, Mar 23, 2012

  2. haziz

    Kaz Kylheku Guest

    Re: Kernighan & Plauger: Software Tools. Ratfor vs Pascal for aStudent of C?

    On 2012-03-23, haziz <> wrote:
    > Kernighan and Plauger's Software Tools book is available in two versions, the
    > original one using code in Ratfor (Rational Fortran: Fortran 66 with C
    > influences, if I am understanding
    > correctly) and in a 1981 revision
    > Pascal as the language.
    > Which version would you recommend for a student working mostly in C and why?

    " Gee, I'm a student working mostly with C. I've considered and rejected
    countless possible textbooks. Doing all that evaluation by myself, without
    needing anyone's help, I managd to narrow down the list of books down to two
    editions of a single one.

    But these editions don't even use C, but rather Ratfor and Pascal. So now I
    don't know what to do, and am in grave need of help, going from website to
    website to Usenet looking for someone who will help me decide.

    PLZ HLP "

    Come on, you can't be serious. Haven't you trolled this in enough places?

    Kaz Kylheku, Mar 23, 2012

  3. Re: Kernighan & Plauger: Software Tools. Ratfor vs Pascal for a Student of C?

    haziz <> writes:

    > Kernighan and Plauger's Software Tools book is available in two
    > versions, the original one using code in Ratfor (Rational Fortran:
    > Fortran 66 with C influences, if I am understanding correctly) and in
    > a 1981 revision using Pascal as the language.
    >
    > Which version would you recommend for a student working mostly in C
    > and why?

    Well, Ratfor is closer to C than Pascal is so, if I had to pick, I'd go
    for the original. Also, the Pascal version suffers from the fact that
    the Ratfor translator is both and means to an end (a portable language
    for the book to use) and an excellent example of the kind of tools the
    authors advocate.

    But is there nothing newer than a 36 year-old book? I agree it is a
    classic (it was a revelation to me as a teenager) but surely someone has
    written a modern classic since then? If not, what a good project!

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Mar 23, 2012