<key><keyref> does not work in XMLSpy

Markus Seibold

Hello NG,

sorry for pasting that much code but I just can't figure out how get the
<key><keyref> to work in XML Schema. I am using XMLSpy 4.3 for editing my
XML. I want to represent a recursive 1:n relationship between a database
table AdminUnit (i.e., States consist of Counties).

I declared the <key> element in the context of <country> and specified the
XPath to the <AdminUnitName> element which should be the key. I then
declared the <keyref> in the context of the <SubAdminUnits> element and
specified the XPath to the <SubAdminUnitName> element which should be the
foreign key pointing to the primary key.

I also pasted a XML instance document at the end of this message. The
document validates in XMLSpy although I specified a non-existend
<SubAdminUnitName>.

I just can't figure out why this doesn't work. Could it be that the code
actually is correct but XMLSpy cannot handle the <key><keyref> elements?

I'd really appreciate any help!!!

Thanks, Markus

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<schema targetNamespace="http://www.opentourism.org"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
xmlns:utour="http://www.opentourism.org"
xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml" elementFormDefault="unqualified">

<!-- ========================== -->

<!-- include/import of other schemas -->

<!-- ========================== -->

<include schemaLocation="TourML_DataTypes_1-0.xsd"/>

<!-- ======================== -->

<!-- ===== Country element ===== -->

<!-- ======================== -->

<element name="Country" type="utour:CountryType">

<annotation>

<documentation>Country is declared as sub-element of the schema
element; it can function as a root element in an instance
document.</documentation>

</annotation>

<key name="SuperAdminUnit_SubAdminUnit_Key">

<selector xpath="CountryAdminUnits/AdminUnit"/>

<field xpath="AdminUnitName"/>

</key>

</element>

<!-- ====================================== -->

<!-- ===== Country - AdminUnit Relationship ===== -->

<!-- ====================================== -->

<complexType name="_CountryAdminUnit">

<annotation>

<documentation>Administrative Units that belong to a certain
country. _CountryAdminUnit is the correspondent to the 1:n relationship
between Country and AdminUnit in TourDM.</documentation>

</annotation>

<sequence>

<element name="AdminUnit" type="utour:AdminUnitType"/>

</sequence>

</complexType>

<!-- ===================== -->

<!-- ===== CountryType===== -->

<!-- ===================== -->

<complexType name="CountryType">

<sequence>

<element name="CountryID" type="utour:CountryIDType"/>

<element name="CountryName" type="utour:MaxCharacter30Type"/>

<element name="CountryPhoneCode" type="integer"/>

<element name="CountryGratuityGuideline"
type="utour:MaxCharacter100Type" minOccurs="0"/>

<element name="CountryBestTravelTime"
type="utour:MaxCharacter100Type" minOccurs="0"/>

<element name="CountryAdminUnits" type="utour:_CountryAdminUnit"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

</sequence>

</complexType>

<!-- ======================= -->

<!-- ===== AdminUnitType ===== -->

<!-- ======================= -->

<complexType name="AdminUnitType">

<sequence>

<element name="AdminUnitName" type="utour:MaxCharacter128Type"/>

<element name="SubAdminUnits" type="utour:_SubAdminUnit"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">

<keyref name="SuperAdminUnit_SubAdminUnit_Ref"
refer="utour:SuperAdminUnit_SubAdminUnit_Key">

<selector xpath="."/>

<field xpath="SubAdminUnitName"/>

</keyref>

</element>

<element name="AdminUnitType">

<simpleType>

<restriction base="string">

<enumeration value="State" xml:lang="en-US"/>

<enumeration value="County" xml:lang="en-US"/>

<enumeration value="Bundesland" xml:lang="de"/>

<enumeration value="Regierungsbezirk" xml:lang="de"/>

<enumeration value="Landkreis" xml:lang="de"/>

</restriction>

</simpleType>

</element>

</sequence>

</complexType>

<!-- ====================================== -->

<!--===== AdminUnit Recursive Relationship ===== -->

<!-- ====================================== -->

<complexType name="_SubAdminUnit">

<annotation>

<documentation>_SubAdminUnit is the correspondent to the 1:n
recursive relationship between AdminUnit and AdminUnit in
TourDM.</documentation>

</annotation>

<sequence>

<element name="SubAdminUnitName" type="utour:MaxCharacter128Type"/>

</sequence>

</complexType>

</schema>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<utour:Country xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xmlns:utour="http://www.opentourism.org"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opentourism.org
D:\Eigene~1\Studium\diplom~1\TourML\TourML_1-0\___TourML_Geography_1-0.xsd">

<CountryID>US</CountryID>

<CountryName>United States of America</CountryName>

<CountryPhoneCode>1</CountryPhoneCode>

<CountryAdminUnits>

<AdminUnit>

<AdminUnitName>Georgia</AdminUnitName>

<SubAdminUnits>

<SubAdminUnitName>XXXClarke County</SubAdminUnitName>

</SubAdminUnits>

<SubAdminUnits>

<SubAdminUnitName>Oconee County</SubAdminUnitName>

</SubAdminUnits>

<AdminUnitType>State</AdminUnitType>

</AdminUnit>

</CountryAdminUnits>

<CountryAdminUnits>

<AdminUnit>

<AdminUnitName>Clarke County</AdminUnitName>

<SubAdminUnits>

<SubAdminUnitName></SubAdminUnitName>

</SubAdminUnits>

<AdminUnitType>County</AdminUnitType>

</AdminUnit>

</CountryAdminUnits>

<CountryAdminUnits>

<AdminUnit>

<AdminUnitName>Oconee County</AdminUnitName>

<SubAdminUnits>

<SubAdminUnitName></SubAdminUnitName>

</SubAdminUnits>

<AdminUnitType>County</AdminUnitType>