'KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\UserData' does not exist.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Michael, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi All,

    I am using win2k advance sever, IIS + ASP + Office 2000 +SQL server 2000

    I have a internal web site, running on IIS. it is for internal reporting purpose.
    All the ASP web pages are written in VB script, working with background SQL server 2000.
    The asp pages accept user input first, then pass to another ASP page to make out SQL query, then the vb script will retrive data from SQL server using ADO object, then creates an EXCEL object and put the recordset to Execel WorkSheet, then redirect the user browser to the execel file to show/download the execel file. It works fines, no problem.

    But when I open the EVENT_VIEWER to see Application Log, there are many many Warning msg lines saying MsiInstall error as below:

    Detection of product '{00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}', feature 'ExcelUserData', component '{8ADD2C96-C8B7-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\UserData' does not exist.

    and another warning is: Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80070005

    Can anyone tell me why this happened? Since I have already setup/installed Office2000 all components "running from my computer".

    Kindly please advice on it. Thank you very much!

    Rgds
    Michael

    Michael, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Why are you creating an Excel.Application object? Why not just change the
    Response.ContentType? See the "access data to excel using asp" thread from
    about 7 hours ago for a sample of what I mean.

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 15, 2004

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    My reports is not as simple as only showing the data in the execel, there
    are still other setting and controls to be done before send to user.

    btw, could you please tell me how to solve my problem above? what is the
    possible reason for it?
    Thank again.

    Rgds
    Michael

    message news:u%...

    Michael, Sep 15, 2004
  4. MS strongly discourages the use of Office Automation in ASP (or any
    server-side code). They offer some advice on how to do it make clear that
    they will not support you if something goes wrong. See here:
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257757)

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET