    bundled with a bunch of other stuff that I dont need (SDL, GLUT). I just
    need a simple platform independant way to access the keyboard and mouse.

    Anyone know of any good ones?

    Nolan Martin, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Nolan Martin <> spoke thus:

    > Is it just me or are there no good librarys out there to access the keyboard
    > or mouse?
    > I have been looking around for a while now and can only find ones that are
    > bundled with a bunch of other stuff that I dont need (SDL, GLUT). I just
    > need a simple platform independant way to access the keyboard and mouse.

    > Anyone know of any good ones?

    Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c++. Please visit

    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Nolan Martin

    Nolan Martin Guest

    "Christopher Benson-Manica" <> wrote in message
    > Nolan Martin <> spoke thus:
    >
    > > Is it just me or are there no good librarys out there to access the

    keyboard
    > > or mouse?
    > > I have been looking around for a while now and can only find ones that

    are
    > > bundled with a bunch of other stuff that I dont need (SDL, GLUT). I just
    > > need a simple platform independant way to access the keyboard and mouse.

    > > Anyone know of any good ones?

    > Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c++. Please visit
    >
    > http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    >
    > for posting guidelines and frequently asked questions. Thank you.
    >
    > --
    > Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
    > ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.

    Great, let me rephrase the question...

    Is there a C++ standard library that provides an interface to access the
    keyboard and mouse?

    Nolan Martin, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Nolan Martin

    JKop Guest

    Keyboards and mouses(mice, whatever) are in the same
    category as GPS systems, infa-red radar - there's no
    definite way to work with them, they're worked with
    differently for every platform. For MSWindows, there's the
    Win32API.

    -JKop

    JKop, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Nolan Martin wrote:
    > "Christopher Benson-Manica" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nolan Martin <> spoke thus:
    >>

    >>>Is it just me or are there no good librarys out there to access the

    > keyboard
    >
    >>>or mouse?
    >>>I have been looking around for a while now and can only find ones that

    > are
    >
    >>>bundled with a bunch of other stuff that I dont need (SDL, GLUT). I just
    >>>need a simple platform independant way to access the keyboard and mouse.

    >>>Anyone know of any good ones?

    >>Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c++. Please visit
    >>
    >>http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    >>http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    >>
    >>for posting guidelines and frequently asked questions. Thank you.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
    >>ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.

    > Great, let me rephrase the question...
    >
    > Is there a C++ standard library that provides an interface to access the
    > keyboard and mouse?

    Let me clarify what others have said.
    There is no _standard_ library for interfacing to a keyboard and
    mouse because these topics are not part of the _standard_ language.

    There are _platform_specific_ libraries out there for accessing mice
    and keyboards. Some manufacturers may even have sample code for
    accessing their keyboards and mice.

    By the way, there doesn't seem to be a standard keyboard nor a
    standard mouse. Also, the _standard_ C++ languages does not require
    a platform to have a mouse. Vending machines and microwave ovens
    don't {intentionally} have mice, but they can execute C++ programs.
    I have yet to see a "standard" mouse or keyboard. Would be nice
    though, so I don't have to keep adjusting my typing for every
    workstation that I use. If you don't believe there isn't a standard,
    just go look at an APL keyboard and a Windows one. Heck, compare
    keyboards between MS-Windows platforms. I have two computers from
    the same vendor that have different mice and keyboards!

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Nolan Martin

    Howard Guest

    "JKop" <> wrote in message

    > Keyboards and mouses(mice, whatever) are in the same
    > category as GPS systems, infa-red radar - there's no
    > definite way to work with them, they're worked with
    > differently for every platform. For MSWindows, there's the
    > Win32API.

    ....which talks to the specific mouse or keyboard driver, which communicates
    with the computer's ports, which funnels the communications between the CPU
    and the mouse or keyboard. :)

    Howard, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Nolan Martin

    JKop Guest

    Howard posted:

    > "JKop" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Keyboards and mouses(mice, whatever) are in the same
    >> category as GPS systems, infa-red radar - there's no
    >> definite way to work with them, they're worked with
    >> differently for every platform. For MSWindows, there's

    the
    >> Win32API.
    >>

    > ...which talks to the specific mouse or keyboard driver,

    which
    > communicates with the computer's ports, which funnels the
    > communications between the CPU and the mouse or keyboard.

    :)

    >> -JKop

    I learned all about Windows Device Drivers so I could
    directly "communicate" with the Power device driver to get
    the computer to turn off instantly!

    ....unfortunately I was never successful.

    -JKop

    JKop, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Nolan Martin wrote:

    > Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
    >
    >>Nolan Martin spoke thus:
    >>
    >>>Is it just me or are there no good librarys out there
    >>>to access the keyboard or mouse? I have been looking around
    >>>for a while now and can only find ones that are bundled
    >>>with a bunch of other stuff that I dont need (SDL, GLUT). I just need
    >>>a simple platform independant way to access the keyboard and mouse.

    >>>Anyone know of any good ones?

    >>Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c++. Please visit
    >>
    >>http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    >>http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    >>
    >>for posting guidelines and frequently asked questions. Thank you.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
    >>ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.

    > Great, let me rephrase the question...
    >
    > Is there a C++ standard library
    > that provides an interface to access the keyboard and mouse?

    No.
    The C++ standard does not presume
    that there even is a keyboard or mouse. Keyboard and mouse events
    are handled differently on different platforms --
    machine architecture + operating system + C++ compiler.
    If you can tell us your target platform(s),
    we may be able to redirect you to a more appropriate forum.

    Please ignore Christopher Benson-Manica --
    he's one of our resident trolls.
    If you continue your subscription to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup,
    you will learn to recognize and ignore them.

    E. Robert Tisdale, Jul 23, 2004
  9. Nolan Martin

    Nolan Martin Guest

    "E. Robert Tisdale" <> wrote in message
    > Nolan Martin wrote:
    >
    > > Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
    > >
    > >>Nolan Martin spoke thus:

    > >>Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c++. Please visit
    > >>
    > >>http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    > >>http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    > >>
    > >>for posting guidelines and frequently asked questions. Thank you.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if

    > >>ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.

    > > Great, let me rephrase the question...
    > >
    > > Is there a C++ standard library
    > > that provides an interface to access the keyboard and mouse?

    > No.
    > The C++ standard does not presume
    > that there even is a keyboard or mouse. Keyboard and mouse events
    > are handled differently on different platforms --
    > machine architecture + operating system + C++ compiler.
    > If you can tell us your target platform(s),
    > we may be able to redirect you to a more appropriate forum.
    >
    > Please ignore Christopher Benson-Manica --
    > he's one of our resident trolls.
    > If you continue your subscription to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup,
    > you will learn to recognize and ignore them.

    Heh, thank you for your more...understanding reply to my message.
    I was actually expecting the sort of answers I see here and was just
    eliminating the possibility of a standard library for the keybaord and
    mouse.

    Although there is more or less a standard for keyboards and mice, that is
    why you see some BIOS's supporting mice, and all BIOS's support keyboards.
    Its not like the BIOS manufacturor sat down and wrote a different driver for
    every keyboard that is or ever will be.

    Thanks for your replys anyway.

    Nolan Martin, Jul 24, 2004