    All I manged to do were while the application frame is in focus
    Can someone please show me how to do it?

    Thanks !
    Gandalf, May 26, 2008

  2. On May 26, 2:06 pm, Gandalf <> wrote:
    > I use WX on windows XP and I try to generate an event when the user is
    > clicking the keyboard while the application frame is not in focus.
    > All I manged to do were while the application frame is in focus
    > Can someone please show me how to do it?
    >
    > Thanks !

    You can only catch the keyboard events for whichever widget is in
    focus. So, if you have a text control, you'll need to bind to that.
    The events you're likely need are EVT_KEYDOWN or EVT_CHAR. You cannot
    catch keyboard events with wx if you are using MS Word. For that sort
    of thing,you'll have to hook in at the OS level.

    Mike
    Mike Driscoll, May 26, 2008

  3. Gandalf

    Gandalf Guest

    On May 26, 11:25 pm, Dennis Lee Bieber <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:06:02 -0700 (PDT), Gandalf <>
    >
    > > I use WX on windows XP and I try to generate an event when the user is
    > > clicking the keyboard while the application frame is not in focus.
    > > All I manged to do were while the application frame is in focus
    > > Can someone please show me how to do it?

    > I'm no expert, but I think normal operation is that the operating
    > system does not send events to an application unless that application
    > has the focus.
    >
    > To counter that, though, there is no doubt some way to inform the OS
    > that an application is interested in all events, even those not meant
    > for it directly. As such a capability tends to be OS specific, it may
    > not be easily exposed. Under Windows, this probably requires getting a
    > handle on the "desktop window" and processing messages that it sees
    > (without failing to pass them on to whatever other windows are looking
    > for them)
    > --
    > Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
    >
    > HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    > (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    > HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

    Thanks!
    Anyone know which library should i learn then?
    Gandalf, May 26, 2008
  4. Ivan Illarionov, May 26, 2008
  5. Gandalf

    Gandalf Guest

    On May 27, 12:00 am, Ivan Illarionov <>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:40:18 -0700, Gandalf wrote:
    > > Thanks!
    > > Anyone know which library should i learn then?

    > Looks like you need to dive into Win32 APIhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms697544(VS.85).aspxhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645530(VS.85).aspx
    > and others
    > combined with ctypes.
    >
    > Ivan

    well, that seems extremely valuable but how can i implement those
    functions with python?
    Gandalf, May 26, 2008
  6. On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:18:00 -0700, Gandalf wrote:

    > On May 27, 12:00 am, Ivan Illarionov <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:40:18 -0700, Gandalf wrote:
    >> > Thanks!
    >> > Anyone know which library should i learn then?

    >> Looks like you need to dive into Win32
    >> APIhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms697544(VS.85).aspxhttp://

    msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645530(VS.85).aspx
    >> and others
    >> combined with ctypes.
    >>
    >> Ivan

    > well, that seems extremely valuable but how can i implement those
    > functions with python?

    Google is your friend
    Some links with examples:
    http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/000652.html
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/208699
    Ivan Illarionov, May 26, 2008
  7. Gandalf

    Gandalf Guest

    On May 27, 12:18 am, Gandalf <> wrote:
    > On May 27, 12:00 am, Ivan Illarionov <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:40:18 -0700, Gandalf wrote:
    > > > Thanks!
    > > > Anyone know which library should i learn then?

    > > Looks like you need to dive into Win32 APIhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms697544(VS.85).aspxhttp://ms...
    > > and others
    > > combined with ctypes.

    > > Ivan

    > well, that seems extremely valuable but how can i implement those
    > functions with python?

    You know what I'm sorry, I will try to understand the ctypes lib
    before bothering you.

    thank you all!
    Gandalf, May 26, 2008
  8. On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:26:50 -0700, Gandalf wrote:

    > On May 27, 12:18 am, Gandalf <> wrote:

    >> > Looks like you need to dive into Win32
    >> > APIhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms697544

    (VS.85).aspxhttp://ms...
    >> > and others
    >> > combined with ctypes.

    >> > Ivan

    >> well, that seems extremely valuable but how can i implement those
    >> functions with python?

    > You know what I'm sorry, I will try to understand the ctypes lib before
    > bothering you.
    >
    > thank you all!

    No need to sorry. I have actually found very valuable information at
    http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/000652.html
    while googling to answer your question. I didn't know that such things
    are really possible with Python/Win32! It'll help me a lot. Thank you!

    Ivan
    Ivan Illarionov, May 26, 2008
  9. On May 26, 5:38 pm, Ivan Illarionov <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:26:50 -0700, Gandalf wrote:

    > (VS.85).aspxhttp://ms...

    > >> well, that seems extremely valuable but how can i implement those
    > >> functions with python?

    > > You know what I'm sorry, I will try to understand the ctypes lib before
    > > bothering you.

    > > thank you all!

    > No need to sorry. I have actually found very valuable information athttp://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/000652.html
    > while googling to answer your question. I didn't know that such things
    > are really possible with Python/Win32! It'll help me a lot. Thank you!
    >
    > Ivan

    If you guys are going to go digging into the PyWin32 modules, make
    sure you check this site out:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.5/pywin32/PyWin32.html

    It has the docs for the distro and a link to the user's group too. Bot
    have been very helpful to me.

    Mike
    Mike Driscoll, May 27, 2008
  10. Gandalf

    Gandalf Guest

    On May 27, 2:36 am, Mike Driscoll <> wrote:
    > On May 26, 5:38 pm, Ivan Illarionov <> wrote:

    > > (VS.85).aspxhttp://ms...

    > > > You know what I'm sorry, I will try to understand the ctypes lib before
    > > > bothering you.

    > > > thank you all!

    > > No need to sorry. I have actually found very valuable information athttp://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/000652.html
    > > while googling to answer your question. I didn't know that such things
    > > are really possible with Python/Win32! It'll help me a lot. Thank you!

    > > Ivan

    > If you guys are going to go digging into the PyWin32 modules, make
    > sure you check this site out:
    >
    > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.5/pywin32/PyWin3...
    >
    > It has the docs for the distro and a link to the user's group too. Bot
    > have been very helpful to me.
    >
    > Mike

    OK thanks guys I'm going try and if I will succeed I will tel you how
    I did it
    Gandalf, May 27, 2008