KeyboardInterrupt not caught

ruka_at_

Hi,
why is KeyboardInterrupt not caught (xp)?
import sys
try:
inp = sys.stdin.read()
except (KeyboardInterrupt, SystemExit):
print "kbd-interr,SystemExit"
except EOFError:
print "eof encountered"
except:
print "caught all"
self.showtraceback()
print "normal end"

result after script startet and ^C hit:
ctrl_test.py
normal end
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\work\py_src\ctrl_test.py", line 11, in ?
print "normal end"
KeyboardInterrupt

br Rudi

Daniel Nogradi

why is KeyboardInterrupt not caught (xp)?
import sys
try:
inp = sys.stdin.read()
except (KeyboardInterrupt, SystemExit):
print "kbd-interr,SystemExit"
except EOFError:
print "eof encountered"
except:
print "caught all"
self.showtraceback()
print "normal end"

result after script startet and ^C hit:
normal end
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\work\py_src\ctrl_test.py", line 11, in ?
print "normal end"
KeyboardInterrupt

Hi, are you sure this is exactly what you run?
The code above works perfectly for me and prints

kbd-interr,SystemExit
normal end

as it should upon pressing Ctrl-C (although I'm on linux not xp but
that shouldn't matter at all).

Gabriel Genellina

Hi, are you sure this is exactly what you run?
The code above works perfectly for me and prints

kbd-interr,SystemExit
normal end

as it should upon pressing Ctrl-C (although I'm on linux not xp but
that shouldn't matter at all).

I'm using XP and it works as expected too.

Steven D'Aprano

Hi,
why is KeyboardInterrupt not caught (xp)?
import sys
try:
inp = sys.stdin.read()
except (KeyboardInterrupt, SystemExit):
print "kbd-interr,SystemExit"
except EOFError:
print "eof encountered"

I don't think you ever get an EOFError from stdin. If you type ^D
immediately, stdin.read() returns an empty string.

except:
print "caught all"
self.showtraceback()

I don't imagine you'll get any other exceptions either.

Not that it matters, but what's self?

print "normal end"

result after script startet and ^C hit:
normal end
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\work\py_src\ctrl_test.py", line 11, in ?
print "normal end"
KeyboardInterrupt

It works as expected for me.

I seem to have a vague recollection that the keyboard interrupt under
Windows isn't ^C but something else... ^Z maybe?

Gabriel Genellina

En Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:26:09 -0300, Steven D'Aprano
I seem to have a vague recollection that the keyboard interrupt under
Windows isn't ^C but something else... ^Z maybe?

Ctrl-C is the keyboard interrupt, Ctrl-Z means EOF.

ruka_at_

Thanks to all of you, for the fast answers.
The code I showed you is actually the code running. I tried to catch
eof, cause I read ^C could produce EOF (the self.showtraceback() was
just a stupid cut 'n paste). But not even the except that should catch
all exceptions is triggered.
Thanks again,
br Rudi

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi,
why is KeyboardInterrupt not caught (xp)?

Using a variation of your sample

-=-=-=-=-
import time
import sys
inp = None
try:
time.sleep(10) #########
inp = sys.stdin.read()
except (KeyboardInterrupt, SystemExit):
print "kbd-interr,SystemExit"
except EOFError:
print "eof encountered"
except:
print "caught all"
print repr(inp)
print "normal end"
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

results in the following -- the first one is when I hit the <ctrl-c>
immediately after entering the command line; the other is when I waited
the 10+ seconds so the read became active.

E:\UserData\DENNIS~1\MYDOCU~1>python Script1.py
kbd-interr,SystemExit
None
normal end

E:\UserData\DENNIS~1\MYDOCU~1>python Script1.py
''
normal end
^C
E:\UserData\DENNIS~1\MYDOCU~1>python Script1.py
^Z
''
normal end

E:\UserData\DENNIS~1\MYDOCU~1>

Off hand, it appears that a pending read of stdin will absorb all
characters; keyboard interrupt only occurs when the OS itself gets the
<ctrl-c> during some blocking call OTHER THAN a read of stdin -- ie, the
time.sleep()

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/