Keylogging in Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ari Brown, Aug 3, 2007.

  1. Ari Brown

    Ari Brown Guest

    Keylogging in Ruby

    I've been attempting (feebly) to build a nice Telnet server recently.
    One of my (many) difficult tasks is
    retrieving characters from the other side of the 'net with the client
    hitting enter.

    ie....

    prompt> look Gr_
    prompt> look GrGrog taunts you a second time!_

    I'm trying to use keylogging to prevent this from happening. Several
    things I have tried....

    1) Using raw mode on the client's side, and then initiating telnet
    with repeated IO.getc()s.
    2) Using HighLine creatively...
    IO.ask("prompt> ") {|q| word << q}

    Neither of those solved any of my problems, though I was sure the
    HighLine one would've worked.

    So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what might work?

    Thanks,
    ~ Ari
    English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
    bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.
    Ari Brown, Aug 3, 2007