keyref constraint as part of type - impossible?

Ian Pilcher

I've managed to figure out how to create a keyref identity constraint as
part of an element definition in my schema. Ideally, I would like to
make it part of the type definition.

In my initial experiments, it doesn't look like this is possible. (I've
actually managed to add a constraint to an element within a complex
type, and the parser accepts it, but it doesn't appear to do anything.)

A little bit of reflection leads me to think that it's probably not
possible, because it doesn't really make sense. (How can a type be
constrained by an element?)

Am I right?

Thanks!

Henry S. Thompson

Ian said:
I've managed to figure out how to create a keyref identity constraint as
part of an element definition in my schema. Ideally, I would like to
make it part of the type definition.

Not possible. However, you may well find that you can elevate your
keyref to the declaration for the document element of your schema, if
the need for repetition on elements lower in the tree is what's
irritating you.

ht
Half-time member of W3C Team
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Ian Pilcher