keyword arguments for xml-rpc

proteusguy

I've just noticed that I can't seem to use keyword arguments for
xml-rpc requests even though the protocol itself encodes parameter
names, types, and values when it sends the xml across the network.
This becomes a bit problematic for me because I want to store some XML-
RPC method dispatch signatures in a database and can't easily
guarantee parameter order when I load it so being able to pass a
dictionary of name/value pairs greatly eases the development effort
and helps assure correct methods get invoked. Is this a limitation of
the SimpleXMLRPCServer, the xmlrpclib.ServerProxy, or something
completely different?

Diez B. Roggisch

I've just noticed that I can't seem to use keyword arguments for
xml-rpc requests even though the protocol itself encodes parameter
names, types, and values when it sends the xml across the network.
This becomes a bit problematic for me because I want to store some XML-
RPC method dispatch signatures in a database and can't easily
guarantee parameter order when I load it so being able to pass a
dictionary of name/value pairs greatly eases the development effort
and helps assure correct methods get invoked. Is this a limitation of
the SimpleXMLRPCServer, the xmlrpclib.ServerProxy, or something
completely different?

I don't see[1] the possibility to pass keyword arguments via XMLRPC. Where
did you get that impression from? You can pass structs though, maybe that
confused you?

Diez

[1] http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec

proteusguy

Diez,

Yes thanx - that (structs) is indeed where my confusion lies... :)
Alas, ordered parameters it is.