    Helo. I need to take thread dump of remote jvm process. I asked unix
    admin to do kill -3 <pid>, but jvm is not giving me thread dump. Is
    there special flag we need to enable or something?
    Orson, May 27, 2008

  2. Orson

    Ajay Guest

    On May 27, 11:05 am, Orson <> wrote:
    > Helo. I need to take thread dump of remote jvm process. I asked unix
    > admin to do kill -3 <pid>, but jvm is not giving me thread dump. Is
    > there special flag we need to enable or something?

    Too much missing information. You should learn how to ask for help...

    - Which JVM ? - version
    - how did you launch the jvm ?
    - where are you checking for dump ?
    - did the admin actually do a kill -3 ?
    - was it the correct pid? - how do you know?
    Ajay, May 27, 2008

  3. Orson

    Orson Guest

    On May 27, 1:05 pm, Ajay <> wrote:
    > On May 27, 11:05 am, Orson <> wrote:
    >
    > > Helo. I need to take thread dump of remote jvm process. I asked unix
    > > admin to do kill -3 <pid>, but jvm is not giving me thread dump. Is
    > > there special flag we need to enable or something?

    > Too much missing information. You should learn how to ask for help...

    - Which JVM ? - version
    jdk1.6.0_03
    - how did you launch the jvm ?
    Shell script:
    java -Xms1024 -Xmx1024 -classpath <our classpath> com.[..].DBSync
    dbsync.conf /LOGLEVEL:8 > DBSync.out 2> DBSync.err &
    - where are you checking for dump ?
    files DBSync.log, DBSync.err and DBSync.out
    - did the admin actually do a kill -3 ?
    yes, i saw him several times
    - was it the correct pid? - how do you know?
    yes, this is only java process on linux server and when we kill
    process, log stops
    Orson, May 27, 2008
  4. Orson

    Ajay Guest

    On May 27, 1:28 pm, Orson <> wrote:
    > On May 27, 1:05 pm, Ajay <> wrote:> On May 27, 11:05 am, Orson <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Helo. I need to take thread dump of remote jvm process. I asked unix
    > > > admin to do kill -3 <pid>, but jvm is not giving me thread dump. Is
    > > > there special flag we need to enable or something?

    > > Too much missing information. You should learn how to ask for help...

    > - Which JVM ? - version
    > jdk1.6.0_03
    > - how did you launch the jvm ?
    > Shell script:
    > java -Xms1024 -Xmx1024 -classpath <our classpath> com.[..].DBSync
    > dbsync.conf /LOGLEVEL:8 > DBSync.out 2> DBSync.err &
    > - where are you checking for dump ?
    > files DBSync.log, DBSync.err and DBSync.out
    > - did the admin actually do a kill -3 ?
    > yes, i saw him several times
    > - was it the correct pid? - how do you know?
    > yes, this is only java process on linux server and when we kill
    > process, log stops

    I just checked for one of the JVM processes on my linux box, kill -3
    does produce the stack dump of all threads in stdout redirected file.
    You should see it in DBSync.out.

    However, I am using sun java 1.5.0_06 on Redhat 4.

    No idea why yours isn't working.

    Few (wild) things you might want to check:
    - is kill an alias for something else?
    - is your admin's shell picking kill from an unusual location?

    Can't think of anything else. Perhaps a paste of the tty session might
    shed some light...

    Ajay
    Ajay, May 28, 2008
  5. Orson

    Paul Tomblin Guest

    In a previous article, Orson <> said:
    >- Which JVM ? - version
    >jdk1.6.0_03
    >- how did you launch the jvm ?
    >Shell script:
    >java -Xms1024 -Xmx1024 -classpath <our classpath> com.[..].DBSync
    >dbsync.conf /LOGLEVEL:8 > DBSync.out 2> DBSync.err &
    >- where are you checking for dump ?
    >files DBSync.log, DBSync.err and DBSync.out
    >- did the admin actually do a kill -3 ?
    >yes, i saw him several times
    >- was it the correct pid? - how do you know?
    >yes, this is only java process on linux server and when we kill
    >process, log stops

    I was debugging a thread contention problem today at work, and I can vouch
    that "kill -3" definitely works on JDK 1.6 on Linux. It even has a
    feature I don't remember in JDK 1.4 where it will point out which threads
    are deadlocked.

    And it should *not* stop the log - "kill -3" doesn't stop the process and
    it doesn't stop it from writing to stdout.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <> http://blog.xcski.com/
    Medication did wonders for me, Dave. Perhaps it could for you, if a
    Paul Tomblin, May 30, 2008