    information at the level we want.

    QUESTION: Can we shut those off?? Any other suggestions??

    Paul Sullivan
    Paul Sullivan, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Paul Sullivan

    Guest Guest

    Don't Ever put your web page on the Internet then.

    People can go Edit-> View Source
    File -> Save As
    File -> Print
    Alt+ Print Screen
    Edit -> Select All + Edit -> Copy

    #1 You could use CSS to hide everything for media of the type print for
    browsers that understand and respect it. (this may be able to be overriden
    by browsers that do not understand or have an option to ignore)
    #2 There is a hack (which i refuse to mention) that allows File -> Save as
    to be broken on IE only. It does not work on any other browser.
    #3 Alt+Print Screen cannot be disabled as this is OS Dependent
    #4 Edit -> View source - > Cannot be disabled because it is Browser
    specific. Anti-right clicks do not stop people from viewing source as it can
    be done from the menu.
    #5 - If you really have to protect the information so far as to Sabotage a
    users browser then my suggestion to you is DONT SHOW IT TO ANYBODY. Don't
    make it available online if you are worried about somebody seeing or saving
    it.

    Hope this provides some form of enlightenment. Posting is provided as is

    Guest, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Paul Sullivan

    Andrew Banks Guest

    You could disable these features through the registry I guess but that would
    stop them working for every site you view through your browser

    Andrew Banks, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Paul Sullivan

    Patrice Guest

    As soon as you see something you can always write down this information or
    you could likely always use Print-Screen to grab a copy of what is displayed
    on screen.

    At some level you need to have confidence into those that read the info you
    send them. At some degree it could looks like a Digital Right Management
    issue (those files you can download but read only on your own PC) but it
    would be likely much more complex to implement.

    Patrice

    message de news:...

    Patrice, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Paul Sullivan

    Alec MacLean Guest

    Patrice makes a good point - you must at some point trust the user, because
    pen and paper (or a good memory) will always be available for transferring
    info somewhere else. Or in these days of high-res and cheap digital
    cameras, a snapshot of the monitor display?

    However, to prevent the so-called idle/inadvertent/inexpert misappropriation
    of data, you could also consider opening the application page in a new
    window that doesn't include the menu or button bars, etc. Some additional
    effort on disabling the right-click menu as well should put off anyone who
    isn't a dedicated thief of the info.

    This won't prevent a more experienced user (select, copy & paste via
    keyboard, for example), but it may help reduce some cases of data-theft.

    --
    Alec MacLean

    "Paul Sullivan" wrote

    Alec MacLean, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Paul Sullivan

    Patrice Guest

    It's probably beyond your needs but FYI, while I was browsing the MSDN
    Workshop area, I came accross
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/rma/introduction.asp
    (Digirtal Rights Managements for HTML ??).

    Patrice

    Patrice, Apr 22, 2004