"Killed" Message On Linux (Running From BASH)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Hal Vaughan, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Hal Vaughan

    Hal Vaughan Guest

    I've tried Googling this and get a high noise-to-signal ratio.

    I'm running Perl scripts on Linux (Debian, Sarge), from the command line (in
    bash), and I get a "Killed" message. I can't find enough to verify this is
    coming from Perl or bash or where. Sometimes the program runs fine,
    sometimes it doesn't. When I run it with one data file that didn't work
    before, it runs just fine the 2nd time. The only module I'm using that
    isn't mine is Term::VT102, and I've grep'ed and found NO occurance of the
    word "Killed".

    I'm used to getting crashes that tell me the line numbers and errors, but
    not just a simple "Killed."

    At the least, I'd like to know what is issuing this "Killed" message (is
    this what happens when another program kills a Perl script?), or what could
    be causing this.

    Thanks for any help!

    Hal

    Hal Vaughan, Nov 16, 2005

  2. > At the least, I'd like to know what is issuing this "Killed" message (is
    > this what happens when another program kills a Perl script?), or what could
    > be causing this.

    Some shells (e.g., bash) print this message if a process dies due to
    receiving a SIGKILL. Try this:

    In xterm 1, run:

    sleep 30

    In xterm 2, run:

    killall -9 sleep

    You'll probably see the message "Killed" in xterm 1. I'm not sure what
    would be causing this -- it is unlikely that something is sending
    spontaneous KILL signals to your processes, unless (a) you're running
    extremely low on memory and (b) the Linux OOM killer kills processes in
    this fashion.

    -- Lars

    --
    Lars Kellogg-Stedman <>
    This email address will expire on 2005-11-22.

    Lars Kellogg-Stedman, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Hal Vaughan wrote:

    > I've tried Googling this and get a high noise-to-signal ratio.
    >
    > I'm running Perl scripts on Linux (Debian, Sarge), from the command line
    > (in
    > bash), and I get a "Killed" message. I can't find enough to verify this
    > is
    > coming from Perl or bash or where.

    Large process running out of virtual memory?

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Hal Vaughan

    Hal Vaughan Guest

    Gregory Toomey wrote:

    > Hal Vaughan wrote:
    >
    >> I've tried Googling this and get a high noise-to-signal ratio.
    >>
    >> I'm running Perl scripts on Linux (Debian, Sarge), from the command line
    >> (in
    >> bash), and I get a "Killed" message. I can't find enough to verify this
    >> is
    >> coming from Perl or bash or where.

    > Large process running out of virtual memory?
    >
    > gtoomey

    That was my first thought, but it's one Perl program, on 1.5 GB of memory,
    that had run before, a number of times, on a system with 1/2 that amount
    (and this system has fewer daemons and such running). I would also think
    if that were the case, running it under the same conditions every time
    would produce the same results. It doesn't.

    Hal

    Hal Vaughan, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Hal Vaughan

    Hal Vaughan Guest

    Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

    >> At the least, I'd like to know what is issuing this "Killed" message (is
    >> this what happens when another program kills a Perl script?), or what
    >> could be causing this.

    > Some shells (e.g., bash) print this message if a process dies due to
    > receiving a SIGKILL. Try this:
    >
    > In xterm 1, run:
    >
    > sleep 30
    >
    > In xterm 2, run:
    >
    > killall -9 sleep
    >
    > You'll probably see the message "Killed" in xterm 1. I'm not sure what
    > would be causing this -- it is unlikely that something is sending
    > spontaneous KILL signals to your processes, unless (a) you're running
    > extremely low on memory and (b) the Linux OOM killer kills processes in
    > this fashion.
    >
    > -- Lars

    Aha!

    That's it. With that info, I tracked down a program that wasn't supposed to
    be running (I'm not finished testing it yet), that tracks down and kills
    certain programs if they don't register in a database first. Somehow a
    stray instance was still in memory, killing other programs.

    Thanks!

    Hal

    Hal Vaughan, Nov 16, 2005